Do u have to take the higher tier to take AS maths ?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi i am predicted B/C in GCSE maths and i am taking the intermediate tier, i was wondering that is it necessary to take Higher maths for entry requirements in AS Maths? In my school u need to take the higher tier but some people took the intermediate and got high "B"S.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
It would really help if u took higher tier.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
It would really help if u took higher tier.
Is it because mostly all the work will be higher tier ??
BABYGUY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
if you have not higher maths *YOU DEFINITELY CANNOT DO MATHS AT AS LEVEL.* unless you get Grade A at GCSE, then you SHOULD NEVER EVER, EVEN CONSIDER THE PROSPECT OF DOING AS LEVEL MATHS. anyway, the POLICY IS THAT YOU NEED TO GET A HIGH B GRADE AT HIGHER TIER MATHS, AS THE ABSOLUTE MINIMUM EVER, TO DO AS LEVEL MATHS. sorry bro, but u cannot and should not consider AS maths. you need to have got really AN A at gcse higher tier.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The higher tier covers algebra that is essential in making the jump to A-Levels, algebra that isn't covered by intermediate Maths. That's what my Maths teacher said anyway, when it came to choosing A-Levels. Well I got an A* and I'm struggling at M1 (also lacking Physics AS Level doesn't help), and P2 looks a right *****. At least I got an A for AS Maths so far...
BABOON
Report 17 years ago
You know M1 is totally different to Physics vectors etc... Which board u doing?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
The higher tier covers algebra that is essential in making the jump to A-Levels, algebra that isn't covered by intermediate Maths. That's what my Maths teacher said anyway, when it came to choosing A-Levels. Well I got an A* and I'm struggling at M1 (also lacking Physics AS Level doesn't help), and P2 looks a right *****. At least I got an A for AS Maths so far...
WOW, man A in AS- did u know any1 who took intermediate and done AS level ?
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
C0me On, Nobody In Their Right Mind Would Even Consider The Option Of Doing A-level Amths By Getting B/c At Intermediate. Be Realistic, I Am Giving Him Good Advice, We All Know That He Would Do Crap At A-level Maths. It Just Isnt Enough, I Would Advise Nobody To Do A-level Maths Unless They Got A Really High B At Higher Tier, And Thats Like Scraping The Barrell. Dont Delude Him.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
WOW, man A in AS- did u know any1 who took intermediate and done AS level ?
Yes. And they got kicked out. How are you supposed to carry on Maths AS Level if you didn't even get a C in Methods??? And those two did intermediate Maths.
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Ii DONT UNDERSTNAD YOU MR UNREG. YOU CLEARLY CANNOT DO A-LEVEL MATHS, AND THE ENTRY POLICY IS TO HAVE GOT HIGH B AT GCSE HIGHER TIER. THEREFORE YOU CANNOT, AND SHOULD NEVER CONSIDER A-LEVEL MATHS. STOP IGNORING THE FACTS, YOURMATHEMATICAL SKILLS ARE NOT ENOUGH MATE. YOU CANNOT DO A-LEVEL MATHS. YOU NEED GRADE A, EVEN B AT HIGHER TIER ISNT REALLY ENOUGH. GRADE A.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by BABOON)
You know M1 is totally different to Physics vectors etc... Which board u doing?
AQA, I'm doing it as part of my F-Maths AS. My F-Maths class is five-strong, and the other four are doing the Physics a-Level. They find M1 much easier than me, which is why I say lacking Physics knowledge is not good for me. Most of it is fine, just bloody forces and connected particles and all, how are you supposed to know which forces are working and where??? Suppose it will click soon...
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No need for that BABYGUY, just a reasoned no is enough,
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by BABYGUY)
Ii DONT UNDERSTNAD YOU MR UNREG. YOU CLEARLY CANNOT DO A-LEVEL MATHS, AND THE ENTRY POLICY IS TO HAVE GOT HIGH B AT GCSE HIGHER TIER. THEREFORE YOU CANNOT, AND SHOULD NEVER CONSIDER A-LEVEL MATHS. STOP IGNORING THE FACTS, YOURMATHEMATICAL SKILLS ARE NOT ENOUGH MATE. YOU CANNOT DO A-LEVEL MATHS. YOU NEED GRADE A, EVEN B AT HIGHER TIER ISNT REALLY ENOUGH. GRADE A.
I did the intermediate paper and got a really high B, 90%+ i think and i chose maths as level. i found it challanging at times but you have to be willing to learn new concepts and practice a lot. Try get a higher tier gcse book and practice some of the questions, make sure you can do the fundamental parts, they are essential for as level maths.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Earlier I asked if I should do AS maths with a grade A and everyone said it was quite possible, and yet a B is only a bit lower. That said, I did not revise at all for maths GCSE and missed loads of lessons so maybe I could do better at AS.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by BABYGUY)
That is a bit rich, coming from somebody who ALWAYS posts his homework questions here.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hi i am predicted B/C in GCSE maths and i am taking the intermediate tier, i was wondering that is it necessary to take Higher maths for entry requirements in AS Maths? In my school u need to take the higher tier but some people took the intermediate and got high "B"S.
OK. Firstly there is no required entry grade - there are recommendations made by the exam board, and that is a GCSE Grade B. Please note that no where does it specify on which tier exam paper this is sat.

However, it would be advantageous to the candidate to have taken the Higher Tier - although, if someone has got a B on the Higher Tier examination, this suggests they haven't fully understood the more advanced topics on this tier, and will require to go over it again at AS Level. For people with a B at Intermediate, they won't have seen the higher topics in question, and the material will be new - this said, if you are scoring a B at GCSE Intermediate, you are clearly good at absorbing information and retaining it, and so maybe you can do this.

Without doubt, it is possible to do AS Level Maths with a GCSE B even at Intermediate, however if you find yourself struggling at AS Level, it would be 'unwise' to take it further than this.

----

As an aside, BABYGUY, you were earlier warned of your conduct by RahaydenUK - please start showing members on this forum some respect - this involves not critisising their questions, but instead giving a fair argument which isn't abusive, which is something some people of this board who have reported to me, and posted in response, have found your posts to be.

I have also been asked to remove your signature effective immediately and this has been done - it was slanderous against the person in question, and also suggested that you were discriminating against this user because of an assumption you made about his race.
This will certainly not be tolerated in the future.

Hayden supposedly gave you your "last chance" - consider this now to be your warning from me. It will only take for the majority of moderators to issue warnings to you before action against you begins.

(Also note that putting the subject of a PM as "Maskall", adds to our suspicions about you, which appear justified - tread very carefully).
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It all depends, I would say on how you got the grade B at GCSE. If you worked a great deal throughout school, and the best you could achieve was a grade B, then I would recommend you not take A level.

If however you do not feel that you have reached your full potential, and that you perhaps 'wasted' much of your school ed' then I'd certainly consider it. Very often grades do not reflect ability, particularly at the age of 16. The same goes for you having taken/taking the intermediate paper, if you're taking this paper due to being incapable of higher, then the answer is no. However, (as is often the case), if you're in the lower tier due to not having put in a great deal of effort, and you feel as though you've learnt your lesson...go for it. A level Maths is really not that difficult, need confidence and hard work, and a small degree of natural ability. You must look at your final grade, relative to the amount of work you've put in.

If you need encouragement, I had a friend at school, he scrapped a grade C at Maths GCSE , from the intermediate tier (in 1996)....fast forward to 2002....achieved one of the highest distinctions at masters level Maths at Warwick. Is now taking his GRE for admission to MIT. Remarkable achievement. He just 'discovered' Maths late(r) on. Of course this is a rather extreme example, but it's often the case that people find their real talents after GCSE, some even after A level.

J.S.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
It all depends, I would say on how you got the grade B at GCSE. If you worked a great deal throughout school, and the best you could achieve was a grade B, then I would recommend you not take A level.

If however you do not feel that you have reached your full potential, and that you perhaps 'wasted' much of your school ed' then I'd certainly consider it. Very often grades do not reflect ability, particularly at the age of 16. The same goes for you having taken/taking the intermediate paper, if you're taking this paper due to being incapable of higher, then the answer is no. However, (as is often the case), if you're in the lower tier due to not having put in a great deal of effort, and you feel as though you've learnt your lesson...go for it. A level Maths is really not that difficult, need confidence and hard work, and a small degree of natural ability. You must look at your final grade, relative to the amount of work you've put in.

If you need encouragement, I had a friend at school, he scrapped a grade C at Maths GCSE , from the intermediate tier (in 1996)....fast forward to 2002....achieved one of the highest distinctions at masters level Maths at Warwick. Is now taking his GRE for admission to MIT. Remarkable achievement. He just 'discovered' Maths late(r) on. Of course this is a rather extreme example, but it's often the case that people find their real talents after GCSE, some even after A level.

J.S.
Your last paragraph is exactly what my Maths tutor always says and that is that some people have to 'mature into' Maths, so while you may be only of mediocre ability at say 16/17 you may excel and outstrip everybody else a year or two later! So perhaps your illustration, J.S. is not such an extreme example after all.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (527)
51.31%
No (500)
48.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise