?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
What is your prefered system, P1 P2 or C1 C2
JrW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't think it really makes much difference, apart from the fact that the new system spreads the syllabus out a bit more
DOJO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamierwilliams)
I don't really makes much difference, apart from the fact that the new system spreads the syllabus out a bit more
P was far too hard for students that had **** teachers!!!! Plus the text book that came with it was piss poor - black & white , missed steps out and was plain ****.
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
very true dojo.

I was on ocr p1-p3. My teachers were well crap and the me1 books were one of the worst books i used for self teaching. Although now i still have to self teach myself alot as we only have 2 hours a week of a decent lesson of maths, the c2-c4 books are top notch. Therefore, C's are better for people who have to self teach.
DOJO
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nas7232)
very true dojo.

I was on ocr p1-p3. My teachers were well crap and the me1 books were one of the worst books i used for self teaching. Although now i still have to self teach myself alot as we only have 2 hours a week of a decent lesson of maths, the c2-c4 books are top notch. Therefore, C's are better for people who have to self teach.
Definently I am shocked that they have made these C text books really good, I mean they don't jump steps now, they tell you everything you need to know. I am self teaching myself, and that is very important as I only have 3 hours of teaching a week. At the start of the year I used the old style EDEXCEL P1 books, they were awful, because half the time I had to try and decode the info within the book. Saying that though, I think the M1 book should be changed, because it is far too much like the old style P1 books. I really hate it when they start assuming that you should know what velocity is, it makes life so much harder in chapters such as Vectors. - Which took :tsr: to clarify

What are the new style S1 books like? (The one with the lottery balls on the front cover)
JrW
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DOJO)
Definently I am shocked that they have made these C text books really good, I mean they don't jump steps now, they tell you everything you need to know. I am self teaching myself, and that is very important as I only have 3 hours of teaching a week. At the start of the year I used the old style EDEXCEL P1 books, they were awful, because half the time I had to try and decode the info within the book. Saying that though, I think the M1 book should be changed, because it is far too much like the old style P1 books. I really hate it when they start assuming that you should know what velocity is, it makes life so much harder in chapters such as Vectors. - Which took :tsr: to clarify

What are the new style S1 books like? (The one with the lottery balls on the front cover)
So the new C1 book is a lot better than the old P1 book...I will be starting on C1 in September
nas7232
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah i think the same aswell. The m1 book is pretty useless for me. I really onyl wanted it for learning vectors, i couldn't understand it properly. It shows all this easy stuff then jumps onto hard vector questions with only one decent example.

I ordered the s1 book but it was 2000 edition so i sent it back. I'm not sure if there is a 2004 edition, i will find out though. I'm good at s1 its just the word question i need help on.

You should get the m1 2004 revision guide, its only about 5 quid. That's pretty useful for pulleys e.t.c & it has some easy vector questions which i dont find easy yet.
DOJO
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So the new C1 book is a lot better than the old P1 book...I will be starting on C1 in September
Yeah much better, it builds your foundations up and makes them solid. I did the P modules 2 years ago, and failed miserably - back then you had to have very good teachers in order to help you get through the course, because if you had tried to self teach yourself like I tried too from using those old style books you will not get very far - as it missed steps out and the examples in the book were far too simple - which didn't help at all with the harder questions.
nas7232
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For c1 i just rememberd stuff from gcse. C2 is more like p1. C1 is a mixture of easy p1 - hardest gcse maths.

I flicked through the c1 and i already knew most of it. I dunno if you will be the same, but if i was you i would save my money and just work through the solomon c1 papers.
JrW
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DOJO)
Yeah much better, it builds your foundations up and makes them solid. I did the P modules 2 years ago, and failed miserably - back then you had to have very good teachers in order to help you get through the course, because if you had tried to self teach yourself like I tried too from using those old style books you will not get very far - as it missed steps out and the examples in the book were far too simple - which didn't help at all with the harder questions.
That's made me a little happier.

I will also be doing F. Maths
DOJO
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah i think the same aswell. The m1 book is pretty useless for me. I really onyl wanted it for learning vectors, i couldn't understand it properly. It shows all this easy stuff then jumps onto hard vector questions with only one decent example.

I ordered the s1 book but it was 2000 edition so i sent it back. I'm not sure if there is a 2004 edition, i will find out though. I'm good at s1 its just the word question i need help on.

You should get the m1 2004 revision guide, its only about 5 quid. That's pretty useful for pulleys e.t.c & it has some easy vector questions which i dont find easy yet.
Vectors is very tricky, and yeah on the M side of things it is pretty useless. I have learnt a lot more about Vectors by doing Soloman questions then from the books itself, however I cannot answer more complicated questions such as the ones where they start adding ships coliding in it. I just hope that after I get through the whole M1 book (because Kinematics teaches you a lot about physics IMO), my understanding on using physics with Vectors will improve.
JrW
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For c1 i just rememberd stuff from gcse. C2 is more like p1. C1 is a mixture of easy p1 - hardest gcse maths.

I flicked through the c1 and i already knew most of it. I dunno if you will be the same, but if i was you i would save my money and just work through the solomon c1 papers.
For each module, how long do you generally spend studying for it? A month or two?
nas7232
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
c1 - 5 weeks
c2- 8 weeks
s1 & m1- doing regular tests at college till june, so this is spread out over a year
c3 - 8 weeks
c4 - 6 weeks

Estimates.

C4 dont contain alot of different questions but it has few questions that you need to know in great depth.
JrW
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
c1 - 5 weeks
c2- 8 weeks
s1 & m1- doing regular tests at college till june, so this is spread out over a year
c3 - 8 weeks
c4 - 6 weeks

Estimates.

C4 dont contain alot of different questions but it has few questions that you need to know in great depth.
Cool, thanks.
DOJO
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For each module, how long do you generally spend studying for it? A month or two?
I had to spend longer doing C1 then C2 because the last time I had touched any maths before September was 2 years before at AS (so as you can imagine I was pretty rusty)...I went through a book called 'Mind the gap by CGP' at the start of september, to get back to par with GCSE and then spent 2 months doing C1 in order to understand the concepts surrounding calculus, algebra etc. - They can be hard at first. You have to understand them to be good at AL maths, because the future models just builds up on them.

In the run up to the exam , I did C2 in 1 week, I had a fair grasp of all the topics except Circles and sequences and series (they are my weakest topics). I am finding that as your foundations in calculus, algrbra become solid you get through the books faster. I am doing M1 now, and in 1 week I have done 3/6 chapters , so hopefully if it stays like this, by the 25th of this month M1 should be sorted out - leaving 4 months to get through the other modules
JrW
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DOJO)
I had to spend longer doing C1 then C2 because the last time I had touched any maths before September was 2 years before at AS (so as you can imagine I was pretty rusty)...I went through a book called 'Mind the gap by CGP' at the start of september, to get back to par with GCSE and then spent 3 months doing C1 in order to understand the concepts surrounding calculus, algebra etc. - They can be hard at first. You have to understand them to be good at AL maths, because the future models just builds up on them.

In the run up to the exam , I did C2 in 1 week, I had a fair grasp of all the topics except Circles and sequences and series (they are my weakest topics). I am finding that as your foundations in calculus, algrbra become solid you get through the books faster. I am doing M1 now, and in 1 week I have done 3/6 chapters , so hopefully if it stays like this, by the 25th of this month M1 should be sorted out - leaving 4 months to get through the other modules
Good luck!
dvs
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DOJO)
Plus the text book that came with it was piss poor - black & white , missed steps out and was plain ****.
I'll have to disagree. The Heinemann books (M1-M6 & P1-P6) are excellent.
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DOJO)
P was far too hard for students that had **** teachers!!!! Plus the text book that came with it was piss poor - black & white , missed steps out and was plain ****.
I disagree.

I neglected my studies and got a B in maths at GCSE.

I sat M1 for the first time in Jan04 and received a U grade. At this point i knew no trigonometry and had learned virtually nothing in any of my AS maths lessons, due to poor teaching.

Receiving such a poor grade woke me up. I decided that i wasn't going to allow myself to be passive and fail. I did the essential skills in the rear of the P1 book then worked through the heinemann books for P1/M1/S1 and received 95/87/85 in May/June. I then picked up further maths AS+A2.

I've been taught P4 and have taught myself P1/P2/P3/P5/M2/M3/D1/D2 and am part way through self teaching P6. In the future i intend to study maths at university.

I've learned solely via the Heinemann books and don't see how anyone can fault them. In the event of getting stuck with a question people here have been very helpful.

Maths does require you to think and use your own initiative sometimes. It's not like the other sciences where you can easily get by simply by recalling information. You can't work through questions solely by comparing them with the examples.
amo1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i really dont like the fact that theres one less applied modle now for an a level... all u need is p1 and s1... no one will ever know m4 or m3
DOJO
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Gaz031)
I disagree.

I neglected my studies and got a B in maths at GCSE.

I sat M1 for the first time in Jan04 and received a U grade. At this point i knew no trigonometry and had learned virtually nothing in any of my AS maths lessons, due to poor teaching.

Receiving such a poor grade woke me up. I decided that i wasn't going to allow myself to be passive and fail. I did the essential skills in the rear of the P1 book then worked through the heinemann books for P1/M1/S1 and received 95/87/85 in May/June. I then picked up further maths AS+A2.

I've been taught P4 and have taught myself P1/P2/P3/P5/M2/M3/D1/D2 and am part way through self teaching P6. In the future i intend to study maths at university.

I've learned solely via the Heinemann books and don't see how anyone can fault them. In the event of getting stuck with a question people here have been very helpful.

Maths does require you to think and use your own initiative sometimes. It's not like the other sciences where you can easily get by simply by recalling information. You can't work through questions solely by comparing them with the examples.
I was in the same situation 2 years ago with my AS levels, I messed up maths at AS - mainly due to very poor teaching(10 people dropped out after P1). So I dropped it , took up another A-level, got my 3 A-levels and am now doing the new maths syllabus in my gap year. I criticise the the old P1 books, because sometimes their method of teaching things were very longwinded in comparison to the C books. Completing the square is a prime example of this, after using both books , I can say that I understood completing the square instantly with the new C books then the old ones. Surds is another troublesome area in the old books, I mean they give you the laws and two examples and thats it, this I found did not help when it came to doing question 100 in the surds exercises. They missed stuff out which is absolutely essential for you getting every possible answer correct, like a surd should always have at least one multiple that can be square rooted. Take the follwing example:

squart 12

the following multiples go into the above:

4 and 3
6 and 2
12 and 1

Which is what originally confused me about the old style P1 books, because to be safe you should always use the LCM where at least one side can be sqrerooted.

squart 12 = 2sqrt3

On the positive note, the old P1 book was very good at explaining the following topics:

Calculus
Co-Ordinate Geometry
Basic Algebra

Thats about it IMO.

When I got stuck, I had to spend hours decoding what they were trying to say by going on the Internet and searching for other tutorials on that particular topic.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.95%
No (181)
76.05%

Watched Threads