Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi peeps!

Hpe your all alright. I was jus wondering if Chemistry at A2 gets much harder than AS. I need help in selecting which subject to drop.

Currently studying AS LEVELS: Biology, Chemistry,Psychology and English

Any advice? Hint I wanna do medicine I have to do Bio n chem for def. Is psychology more helpful than Eng?because its more to do with the science side of things? Anyone applied for medicine??

Are the required grades in this range? AAA,AAB,ABB

Any feedback would be appreciated..

SinSan XxX
    [COLOR=Black]

ReputationRep:
    A2 involves a lot more application and a lot less rote-learning/recall. This could make it a LOT harder for some students, but not for everyone. It depends on your style of learning.

Doing a, "arts" subject like English looks quite good on your application, as some universities like to see some diversity in your subject choices. If you do take psychology, and have any choice over modules, try taking a biological option. Psychology IS a science, but it more "social" and less "science" the more you study it. It is still quite a useful subject too.

I did Biology, Chemistry and Maths to A2 and Psychology at AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicinewannado)
    Hi peeps!

Hpe your all alright. I was jus wondering if Chemistry at A2 gets much harder than AS. I need help in selecting which subject to drop.

Any advice? Hint I wanna do medicine I have to do Bio n chem for def. Is psychology more helpful than Eng?because its more to do with the science side of things? Anyone applied for medicine??

SinSan XxX
    [COLOR=Black]
    drop psychology. its always seen as a doss subject even if its a 'science'. english is more highly thought of. saying this, my friend got in to do med at york with a=bio b=chem c=math and a=psych as level

so really just do wat ever will egt u an A. :thrasher:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely carry on biology and chemistry to A2. What's your chemistry exam board?

Either of psychology or English is fine, and I'd select the one you have the best chance of getting an A in, assuming you enjoy both.

And yes the grades range from AAA (Oxford and Cambridge), to AAB (most medical schools) to ABB (just a few medical schools).

ReputationRep:
    Endeavour, yes I do edexcel for all my exams, howver I would have liked to do AQA, but I can't chnage that. Anyway the majority have to know the same work pretty much.

Thanks for all the feedback

ReputationRep:
    Hi peeps!

SinSan XxX
    [COLOR=Black]
    Lose the psychology if you're serious about the medicine.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    A2 involves a lot more application and a lot less rote-learning/recall.

I would say there is a lot more rote learning as well as a lot of application, compared to the AS.

ReputationRep:
    Best to do biology and chemistry @ A2, it would help you ALOT.
    The A2 chemistry , especially the organic , is quite a bit more than the AS , and the A2 is more about applying knowledge than about regurgitating.
    I did chem, bio, math .

ReputationRep:
    Hi peeps!

SinSan XxX
    [COLOR=Black]
    i would say no more difficult, the first a2 module in ocr chem follows on from the 3rd. i think its a natural progression really. However, the optional module i have done (Gases, liquids and solids) has been very difficult, and the synoptic paper (unit 6, only really a half module, the other half being coursework) is very maths based and hard for non-mathematicians, but im ok since i did as maths.

required grades for med are in the range u say, but only st andrews, sheff and cardiff give ABB as standard offer, the rest, except oxbridge, and queens belfast who want AAA all want AAB, but to be in with a good chance of interview an AAA prediction is a must (for example this yr at Bham to be in with a chance at interview u needed basically 5A*s GCSE and AAA predictions, but thats NOT the case at most places - check prospectus, most want about 5As at GCSE, with eng maths and sciences at no less than a B) I think basically all want AS chem, and most want it at A2 as well, except UEA who want A2 bio as a must. Usually u need 2 sciences at A2 as well, but read the prospecti cos everywhere's different (some oxford colleges still want 3 sciences).

But as im sure u will constantly be told 'its not all about the grades' which it isnt, ur personal statements all about non-adademic stuff, and the interviews are generally all about non-academic stuff too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)
    Lose the psychology if you're serious about the medicine.

Aitch
    personally, i would disagree a little with this. Out of the eng and psch, the most important thing would be choosing the one ur most likely to get an A at, and which u most enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    On the same subject of medicine and that sort of area, what would you reccomend me to carry on with to A2 out of Physics and Geography.. in addition to biology and chemistry.

Would Physics be better because of it's stature, or would Geography be good as it's a bit different and a range of subjects is sometimes good?

ReputationRep:
    Hi peeps!

SinSan XxX
    [COLOR=Black]
    I think you may need to redirect your attention to biology, BECAUSE IT GETS AS HARD AS :rolleyes:

Chemistry just elaborates on organic chemistry, also getting slightly physical, but it still rocks :rock:

BIOLOGY HOWEVER...................... :flute:

ReputationRep:
    bloody hell edexcel nufield chem is HARRRDDD u will die at A2! i got 90%+ for all my AS modules and i failed the synoptic!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratomaster)
    On the same subject of medicine and that sort of area, what would you reccomend me to carry on with to A2 out of Physics and Geography.. in addition to biology and chemistry.

Would Physics be better because of it's stature, or would Geography be good as it's a bit different and a range of subjects is sometimes good?
    theres been a trend to favour ppl with two sciences and a humanities subject, cos its seen as 'more balanced' than 3 sciences, though loadsa ppl at interviews ive met do all 3 sciences, do whichever u think u enjoy more and will do best at. I do Bio, Chem and History. Often at interviews u mite get asked why the humanities suject instead of a 3rd science (though sometimes geog is classed as a science)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    bloody hell edexcel nufield chem is HARRRDDD u will die at A2! i got 90%+ for all my AS modules and i failed the synoptic!! :eek:
    i feel for all those doing nuffield. i really do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice there.

Is nuffield another exam board or something? I'm following OCR chemistry.. is that an easier one?

:thrasher:

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys!

Thanks for all the advice.Ps I so think Nutfield is some kind of boarrd but not 100%. I'm doing edexcel, n its getting hard!!! Maybe I should start working more!!!

I'll debate about that

Thanks Anyways

SinSan

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.