Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If ANYONE studied this peom for AS/A Level, please help.

I have a 500 word essay due in on Monday on this poem. The question was Discuss Kulba Khan in terms of its content, style and structure why you believe in is relevance for your own age group.

I have a few ideas and I am trying to put together my first intro paragraph. Would someone mind commented on it for me and give help?

The last essay I did for this teacher (I have 2) I had a C+ for and he was disappointed (hello I had a C at GCSE - what did he expect an A grade essay?????)

Either PM or MSN Messsage me ingore the busy sign I'm doing that to stop my best friend who wants to discuss today's shift at work annoying me.

Hugs and Kisses to all who help and reply!

A Musical Gal

I'll reply, but you be damned sure I won't help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have an oral presentation on that very poem on Monday (IB English). Haven't started preparing, but I will tomorrow... I'll get back to you when I've done some studying myself, OK?

ReputationRep:
    Hi again, I have a question for you. Do you really think he was high on opium when he wrote that poem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Hi again, I have a question for you. Do you really think he was high on opium when he wrote that poem?
    Well when he wrote "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" he certainly was. It wouldn't surprise me if he was similarly "under the influence" while writing Kubla Khan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Well when he wrote "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" he certainly was. It wouldn't surprise me if he was similarly "under the influence" while writing Kubla Khan
    He had a dream about this mystical land, woke up and started writing in Xanadu etc and then someone knocked on the door and disturbed him. That's why the poem stops where it does - by the time his guest had gone, he couldn't remember the rest of what he was going to write. :-(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz)
    He had a dream about this mystical land, woke up and started writing in Xanadu etc and then someone knocked on the door and disturbed him. That's why the poem stops where it does - by the time his guest had gone, he couldn't remember the rest of what he was going to write. :-(
    I disagree - the only reason why some people believe that the poem is unfinished is because "Essteesee" himself said so. But I don't really belive him. He aslo said that it was written in the summer of 1797, which he later changed to fall of 1797, and most people agree that the only thing we can be certain of is that it was not written in 1797. He wante dus to beleve that it was a fragment, but there is no other reason to beleive that it is really unfinished.

ReputationRep:

So far I have

Kubla Khan is one of Coleridge’s most famous poems. He said was written about a hallucinatory dream he experienced after he had taken opium which he was addicted to. During the writing of this poem, Coleridge said he was interrupted by a visitor. After this interruption, he was unable to recall the rest of the vision of his opium dream.

Kubla Khan is a chant-like adverbial poem, effectively using varying paces, resulting from the use of iambic tetrameter and alternating rhyme schemes. Written in tetrameter, the first stanza alternates between staggered rhymes and couplets with a rhyme scheme of ABAABCCDEDE. The second stanza expands into tetrameter following roughly the same rhyming pattern which also expands while the third stanza tightens into tetrameter and rhymes ABABCC. Finally, the fourth stanza continues the tetrameter of the third and rhymes ABCCBDEDEFGFFFGHHG.

And I only managed that with help!!

Please help

A musical gal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)

So far I have

Kubla Khan is one of Coleridge’s most famous poems. He said was written about a hallucinatory dream he experienced after he had taken opium which he was addicted to. During the writing of this poem, Coleridge said he was interrupted by a visitor. After this interruption, he was unable to recall the rest of the vision of his opium dream.

Kubla Khan is a chant-like adverbial poem, effectively using varying paces, resulting from the use of iambic tetrameter and alternating rhyme schemes. Written in tetrameter, the first stanza alternates between staggered rhymes and couplets with a rhyme scheme of ABAABCCDEDE. The second stanza expands into tetrameter following roughly the same rhyming pattern which also expands while the third stanza tightens into tetrameter and rhymes ABABCC. Finally, the fourth stanza continues the tetrameter of the third and rhymes ABCCBDEDEFGFFFGHHG.

Please help

A musical gal
    Is that for English Literature? Do you have to know about rhyming schemes?

ReputationRep:
    AS English Lang and Lit (1 subject!)

ReputationRep:
    AS English Lang and Lit (1 subject!)
    do you have to analyse the rhyming patterns though? Would that come under lang or lit?

ReputationRep:
    well yeah bit stupid not to include them if you know that they will take up some page room!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    do you have to analyse the rhyming patterns though? Would that come under lang or lit?
    You have to know about rhyming patterns for lit, yea.

ReputationRep:
    You have to know about rhyming patterns for lit, yea.
    oh well, i can learn that.

ReputationRep:
    oh well, i can learn that.
    Do you not have to learn it for GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    Do you not have to learn it for GCSE?
    no...

I hope not anyway, though we haven't done poems properly yet.

ReputationRep:
    no...

I hope not anyway, though we haven't done poems properly yet.
    I had to…..I did IGCSE though, which is supposedly quite different to GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    In the end I didn’t even answer the question on poetry so I suppose it’s pretty irrelevant anyway

ReputationRep:

So far I have

Please help

A musical gal
    Is there a reason why you have not destinguished between male and female endings? (A (big a)/a (little a)).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Is there a reason why you have not destinguished between male and female endings? (A (big a)/a (little a)).
    The what?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2003
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.