Turn on thread page Beta

Importance of ethnic identity watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    is it important?alot of english people dont have one and i think its the reason that chavs exist. i think its important for us to knwowhere we have come from. comments?

I think it would be better if we all came together in a huge group, without labels or national identities.
    That might be just me.

ReputationRep:
    I think chavs think that is where they come from and what they were born to be.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    is it important?alot of english people dont have one and i think its the reason that chavs exist. i think its important for us to knwowhere we have come from. comments?
    I think it is...I come from Cornwall and used to hate the fact. Now I am really proud and have developed a keen interest in the history of Cornwall. (for anyone wondering, Cornish is recognised as an ethnic minority with its own language by the EU)

ReputationRep:
    i think that Britain is such a multicultural "melting pot" that the British sadly no longer have any ethnic identity, unless you count multiculturalism as being an identity of sorts. it is a shame. but it's always been that way, Britain welcomes with open arms ppl from all walks of life from anywhere else in the world. i'm not gonna start an immigration debate or anything here.

ReputationRep:
    most of them are white, christians, who speak english...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    I think it would be better if we all came together in a huge group, without labels or national identities.
    That might be just me.

Yeah, it won't happen though. Humans have an inherent need to categorise things, it makes them feel better about themselves. Here are some examples.

Girl has DD tits = hot
    Smelly bloke sitting on street with cup in hand = beggar
    50 year old man with violin in hand = professional musician

Admitting it is a different matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieuk20)
    i think that Britain is such a multicultural "melting pot" that the British sadly no longer have any ethnic identity, unless you count multiculturalism as being an identity of sorts. it is a shame. but it's always been that way, Britain welcomes with open arms ppl from all walks of life from anywhere else in the world. i'm not gonna start an immigration debate or anything here.
    not really...

the vast majority of people in the UK still follow very similar lines as per my post above ^

Yeah, it won't happen though. Humans have an inherent need to categorise things, it makes them feel better about themselves. Here are some examples.

Girl has DD tits = hot
    Smelly bloke sitting on street with cup in hand = beggar
    50 year old man with violin in hand = professional musician

Admitting it is a different matter.
    That's the wisest thing I've heard all day. Well done for sharing my opinions.

ReputationRep:
    yeah then whole multi-cultural accepting all walks of life thing would be a good identity if the americans didn't do it so much better than us! The problem is that people in England can't seem to get the hang of finding the middle ground. They either deny and apologise for the whole of history and pretend not to really be part of any culture, or they're unbearably partisan right-wing ******s who are clamouring for the empire to be brought back and banging on about how much they hate Germans.

ReputationRep:
    That's ok.

ReputationRep:
    Karl Marx: Culture is the means by which the dominant ideology asserts itself.

ReputationRep:
    i mean since i've come to uni, the french are pround eating french food, speaking about france etc. the chinese eat chinese food, talk about china, speak chinese, wear chinese clothes etc. the indians clan together listening to bhangra and even the greeks listen to greek music. im really really mixed race and im not english but not any other culture and im finding it really hard to fit in. even my bfs have been chinese even tho im not cos i cant identify with any culture

ReputationRep:
    i mean since i've come to uni, the french are pround eating french food, speaking about france etc. the chinese eat chinese food, talk about china, speak chinese, wear chinese clothes etc. the indians clan together listening to bhangra and even the greeks listen to greek music. im really really mixed race and im not english but not any other culture and im finding it really hard to fit in. even my bfs have been chinese even tho im not cos i cant identify with any culture
    i suppose that happens when youre a mix and not of one background

ReputationRep:
    A cultural barrier should not prevent you from making friends at uni, magiccarpet.... If people truly like you then they will make an effort to talk to you and hang out with you. Just because you can't identify with any one given culture should not preclude the possiblity of you making new friends. Otherwise atheists - those who do not believe in God - would all be friendless too, and that notion is absurd.

ReputationRep:
    A cultural barrier should not prevent you from making friends at uni, magiccarpet.... If people truly like you then they will make an effort to talk to you and hang out with you. Just because you can't identify with any one given culture should not preclude the possiblity of you making new friends. Otherwise atheists - those who do not believe in God - would all be friendless too, and that notion is absurd.
    no its not about acceptance. generally we all are accepted otherwise to reject someone due to race is racism. its about understanding. ie my parent's aspirations for me in life are to marry well into an arranged marriage and to stay at home lpooking after children. another exaple is the western kids go out clubbing every night and my parents do not think giorls should stay out late. another example is the chinese students do not like to hug in public whereas the whites do

ReputationRep:
    theres plenty of atheists and agnostics about thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    theres plenty of atheists and agnostics about thanks
    yes but religion can be a part of culture but you can have culture without religion

ReputationRep:
    ok....well if it's about understanding and all the others bonding culturally around you cannot pick up on that may i suggest it's time to get some new friends?

ReputationRep:
    ok....well if it's about understanding and all the others bonding culturally around you cannot pick up on that may i suggest it's time to get some new friends?
    this was not the point of my thread. clearly you yourself have been socially restricted by your narrowmindedness not to have met anyone with strong cultural values.
    another example is how your racist and backward views have led u to neg rep me for this thread.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.