Importance of ethnic identity Watch

This discussion is closed.
jamieuk20
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah ok, i see how suggesting that you should make some new friends automatically implies i'm a racist ... nice one. care to explain that?
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lolz...nothing better than two reddies going at it.
magiccarpet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
he's saying i need to get some new friends on the basis of their race and culture. moron.
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
no no no, Magiccarpet you fool, you have completely grasped the wrong end of the stick.

I am suggesting that you get some new friends because clearly you feel left out by the people currently around you, who themselves are bonding because of a shared culture or heritage.
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
this thread is saying that a shared culture or heratige, within a family or in a social group is important for one's sense of identity. if you have no culture you dont know who you are.
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
then find yourself and stop blaming me!
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
most of them are white, christians, who speak english...
Oh yeah? Most of them are Christians? I doubt that.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Oh yeah? Most of them are Christians? I doubt that.
the UK is a predominately christian nation
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
it was to begin with, but increasingly, the youth 'english' culture are losing their roots and are agnostic or athesit. i think its a shame
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
according to a recent report 82% of Christian teenagers no longer go to Church. in fact just a stone's throw from the university a Church was recently converted into an RnB nightclub ... how sacrilegous. (sp?)
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
see? people are losing their religion. religion is part of culture. shops are open on xmas day. even midnight mass was empty. people no longer celebrate the sabbath with sunday lunch. its such a loss of culture.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i wasnt aware you had to go to church to be a christian, but simply believed in god.

either way, when religion is dead the world will be a better place
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
that's what I never completely understood. there are so many differing religions and sects in the world, yet there is one God/no God/many Gods. the only thing that organised religion can do is pit people against people and cause violence and riots. the sooner that religion can explain the findings of science (if it can at all) the better. if it can't ... then it seems a very outmoded train of thought.
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamieuk20)
that's what I never completely understood. there are so many differing religions and sects in the world, yet there is one God/no God/many Gods. the only thing that organised religion can do is pit people against people and cause violence and riots. the sooner that religion can explain the findings of science (if it can at all) the better. if it can't ... then it seems a very outmoded train of thought.
all the religions tech the same thing-to love another and treat people respectfully. religion explains all of scienxce
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ok, in the Bible (I forget where, somewhere in the Old Testament) it explicitly says that "it is a sin to do something if you expect reward for it" - or words to that effect.

Now think about confessions, and prayers. Christians pray to God so that He can forgive you your sins - it's even in the Lord's Prayer. In short, they expect reward for praying - the reward of forgiveness.

Therefore Christians continually sin, even if it is inadvertant.
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Ok, in the Bible (I forget where, somewhere in the Old Testament) it explicitly says that "it is a sin to do something if you expect reward for it" - or words to that effect.

Now think about confessions, and prayers. Christians pray to God so that He can forgive you your sins - it's even in the Lord's Prayer. In short, they expect reward for praying - the reward of forgiveness.

Therefore Christians continually sin, even if it is inadvertant.
true!

and also, the sin of greed, wanting material possessions, isnt that the reason we all study hard to get well paid jobs?
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
think you might just have found your reason why 82% of kids don't go to church
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
i wasnt aware you had to go to church to be a christian, but simply believed in god.
http://onlinedictionary.datasegment.com/word/Christian

I'm not sure the majority of people in this country would describe themselves as all these definitions of a 'Christian'.
SJ No.18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think that Britain is such a multicultural "melting pot" that the British sadly no longer have any ethnic identity, unless you count multiculturalism as being an identity of sorts. it is a shame. but it's always been that way, Britain welcomes with open arms ppl from all walks of life from anywhere else in the world. i'm not gonna start an immigration debate or anything here.
Well I guess thats one of tthe prices you have to pay when you destroy others culture. The Brits aint no saints mate !
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.5%
No I haven't decided yet (42)
21%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.5%

Watched Threads