This discussion is closed.
kateington
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Im from the Midlands and go to Cardiff University. I was completely shocked when i came here and realised that what seems to me 99?% of the student body are Welsh or from the South of England. My friends and people from the South constantly laugh and tack the mick out of how I talk. They also call me a northerner and laugh when I say that I'm from the Midlands saying it's not a real place you're a northener! One friend also joked that anything above London lost its worth when the mines shut down!! i know these people are only jokin, but after 4 months of this it's starting to wear a bit thin!!! anyone else experienced similar problems, or even hold the same view as my southern friends? lol
kateington
Rep:
?
Sorry, posted on the wrong board! My eyesight is appaling lol
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kateington)
Im from the Midlands and go to Cardiff University. I was completely shocked when i came here and realised that what seems to me 99?% of the student body are Welsh or from the South of England. My friends and people from the South constantly laugh and tack the mick out of how I talk. They also call me a northerner and laugh when I say that I'm from the Midlands saying it's not a real place you're a northener! One friend also joked that anything above London lost its worth when the mines shut down!! i know these people are only jokin, but after 4 months of this it's starting to wear a bit thin!!! anyone else experienced similar problems, or even hold the same view as my southern friends? lol
Have you had the It's "bUk" not "bOOk" conversation yet?!? :rolleyes: Im from Staffordshire (midlands) and I have running battles with my friends about it. The trick is to show people that you are proud of the accent and where your from (also identify things they say that are funny in retaliation) !DO NOT do what several people I know have done and hide / change the way you speak for the benefit of people who think they are gods gift because they are from London etc... :rolleyes:
kateington
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leekey)
Have you had the It's "bUk" not "bOOk" conversation yet?!? :rolleyes: Im from Staffordshire (midlands) and I have running battles with my friends about it. The trick is to show people that you are proud of the accent and where your from (also identify things they say that are funny in retaliation) !DO NOT do what several people I know have done and hide / change the way you speak for the benefit of people who think they are gods gift because they are from London etc... :rolleyes:
I'm from Staffordshire! They find it hilarious how I say duck! And i'd never try and change my accent!
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My friends found it hilarious how I say bus ... 'buzz' ... actually they still do ... and the way I always say 'ta-ra a bit'.

I was northern to everyone in my flat last year cause they were all from the south coast or south wales, but I taught them that the MIDlands isn't north it's in the middle like the name suggests!
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
One of my friends from school went to BAth Uni and has come back with a ridiculous accent, he keeps saying grarse and barth etc, much mocking goes on!!
Mrs Rickman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Aw i'm from the Midlands and really like the sound of Cardiff, you're worrying me! Wouldn't mind having a slight Welsh twang though! I find i pick up accents wherever i go - when i went to Warwick summer school there were lots of people there from Coventry. Took me about a month to shake off the accent! So annoying!
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Noooo come to Cardiff, it's amazing I have a slight Welsh twang to my accent now. When I'm drunk I alternate between Welsh and Black Country, it's very amusing!
kateington
Rep:
?
(Original post by -Emmz-)
My friends found it hilarious how I say bus ... 'buzz' ... actually they still do ... and the way I always say 'ta-ra a bit'.

I was northern to everyone in my flat last year cause they were all from the south coast or south wales, but I taught them that the MIDlands isn't north it's in the middle like the name suggests!
I have to say that saying bus as buzz is what people find the most amusing!!!! Some of them even say it themselves now and find themselves sub conciously talkin like me!

Cardiff is amazing though i Love it!!
Chardonnay
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I hope I don't pick up the Bristol accent when I go :eek:
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't say buzz but I'm west mids so maybe we don't.
I used to get teased for the way I say tooth.
kateington
Rep:
?
(Original post by viviki)
I don't say buzz but I'm west mids so maybe we don't.
I used to get teased for the way I say tooth.
Do you say tuhth? I don't but My Brummie friend does
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yep. I'm not brummie though lol. I think most people my way do its a black country thing.
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chardonnay)
I hope I don't pick up the Bristol accent when I go :eek:
You won't, if anything you'll get a "rah" accent.
Leekey
Report 14 years ago
I'm from Staffordshire! They find it hilarious how I say duck! And i'd never try and change my accent!
Out of curiosity....which school/college did you go to?!? :confused:
Chardonnay
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by elpollodiablouk)
You won't, if anything you'll get a "rah" accent.
Coming from Berkshire, it wouldn't be all that much of a change! :p:
kateington
Rep:
?
Out of curiosity....which school/college did you go to?!? :confused:
De Ferrers. Why?
Leekey
Report 14 years ago
De Ferrers. Why?
Ahh nope....thought you might be someone else!
kateington
Rep:
?
Ahh nope....thought you might be someone else!
Sorry to disappoint you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chardonnay)
Coming from Berkshire, it wouldn't be all that much of a change! :p:
Actually, there's quite a large Welsh contingent here, as you'd expect, and quite a few from the North West. In my house next year, there's only one guy from the south. The rest of us are from Leeds/Rotherham/Cheshire/Derby, which I guess he wouldn't have expected He'll be using the short 'a' sound before he knows it. :p:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
3.85%
They might tell the bully (5)
9.62%
I don't think they'd understand (9)
17.31%
It might lead to more bullying (19)
36.54%
There's nothing they could do (17)
32.69%

Watched Threads