This discussion is closed.
confused?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
does anyone have the link to this please.
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by confused?)
does anyone have the link to this please.
THES World Rankings Are the best, most balanced.
Shanghai University rankings are horribly biased towards science/engineering heavy universities but worth a look.
Noel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why is it that universities such as York are ranked much higher in the UK league tables, than alot of the universities that have been put above it in the world rankings?
For example St Andrews, Queen Mary and Manchester are much higher in the world ranking than York, yet in the Uk tables its the other way round. :confused: Surely not every UK ranking table could be wrong?
hakkashinhwauk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Noel)
Why is it that universities such as York are ranked much higher in the UK league tables, than alot of the universities that have been put above it in the world rankings?
For example St Andrews, Queen Mary and Manchester are much higher in the world ranking than York, yet in the Uk tables its the other way round. :confused: Surely not every UK ranking table could be wrong?
Because there is a certain gap in between the Unis. Think of it as... you are ranked in your own class as being third, but if you are ranked within the whole school year, there are students who gain higher marks than you do. (It's confusing to describe... but hope you get the just of it.) I think.
Squishy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Noel)
It's because the rankings measure different things. National rankings tend to take into account things like assessed teaching/research quality, entry standards (eg A-level points), etc, which universities like York do well on, because they take their work seriously and they're good at it.

International tables use things like number of Nobel prizewinning faculty members, and the subjective opinions of other academics by asking them to name which they think are the best universities in their field. York is a really good university, but it's not even 50 years old, so it's not surprising that it doesn't score well with Nobel prizewinners, who tend to do their research at big-name universities, and that other academics haven't heard much about it. Universities like St Andrew's and Manchester are historically famous.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads