The Student Room Group

North, South, Midlands

Im from the Midlands and go to Cardiff University. I was completely shocked when i came here and realised that what seems to me 99?% of the student body are Welsh or from the South of England. My friends and people from the South constantly laugh and tack the mick out of how I talk. They also call me a northerner and laugh when I say that I'm from the Midlands saying it's not a real place you're a northener! One friend also joked that anything above London lost its worth when the mines shut down!! i know these people are only jokin, but after 4 months of this it's starting to wear a bit thin!!! anyone else experienced similar problems, or even hold the same view as my southern friends? lol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sounds like immaturity. i wouldnt waste your time worrying about it

i guess people always take the micky out of their mates or other people and thats just life, but it shouldnt get to a point where its annoying the other person.

i doubt many of the welsh people would be laughing about mine closures. it hit wales hard in the 80's
Reply 2
technik
sounds like immaturity. i wouldnt waste your time worrying about it

i guess people always take the micky out of their mates or other people and thats just life, but it shouldnt get to a point where its annoying the other person.

Yeah I guess, it's just where i come from i know so many different types of people and no ones lesser off for it and then i meet people he genuinely look down on me for being a 'northerner'!!!
Reply 3
When I was at uni in Wales there were tons of people from the midlands.
Just tell em to piss off and get on with it.
Reply 4
viviki
When I was at uni in Wales there were tons of people from the midlands.
Just tell em to piss off and get on with it.

Haha, thats what I usually do!
It's because most Welsh people are so narrow-minded it's unbelievable.They think Wales is the be all and end all,and the majority of them won't even consider leaving the country to go to uni and end up living next door to their parents for the rest of their lives.I'm Welsh by the way :wink:
Just mention that whoolly farm animal.
Anyway people from the midlands are dirty southerners. I'll put on my clogs and come down from my cave in Lancashire to tell them so if you'd like.
ChemistBoy
Anyway people from the midlands are dirty southerners. I'll put on my clogs and come down from my cave in Lancashire to tell them so if you'd like.

WE get crap from botyh northerners and southerners, because you accents are more southern, but our language is more northern. Hence we tend to say bath rather than barrr-th, but at the same time don't have some of the more incomprehensible twangs of 'real' northern northerners
Reply 9
I had the same problem from my southern friends now that I live in Liverpool. Ironically enough now that I've settled here I dont see them much as I dont have time to go there and they dont like coming here cause all my mates take the mick out of their accents!
ChemistBoy

Youre all dirty southerners to me. Unless youre Orcadian in which case youre a filthy viking :smile:.
Reply 11
*alicia*
It's because most Welsh people are so narrow-minded it's unbelievable.They think Wales is the be all and end all,and the majority of them won't even consider leaving the country to go to uni and end up living next door to their parents for the rest of their lives.I'm Welsh by the way :wink:

Haha. To be honest it's all my southern friends! I've always considered myslef to have an average midlands accent, like a Derby accent or something and then I get people saying i sound like a scouser or like im from Yorkshire!!
kateington
Haha. To be honest it's all my southern friends! I've always considered myslef to have an average midlands accent, like a Derby accent or something and then I get people saying i sound like a scouser or like im from Yorkshire!!

Im forever mistaken as an Irishman.
an Siarach
Im forever mistaken as an Irishman.

Based on your accent and/or your first language or both or other?
NDGAARONDI
Based on your accent and/or your first language or both or other?

Accent.
an Siarach
Accent.

For some reason an Irish friend of mine was mistaken for an American. Don't ask.
NDGAARONDI
For some reason an Irish friend of mine was mistaken for an American. Don't ask.

Lol i also had that :confused: .
an Siarach
Lol i also had that :confused: .

Oh dear. I thought that this mistake was stupid and uncommon, perhaps it's not so uncommon after all. How can you not recognise an Irish accent when you're British is beyond me.
foolfarian
WE get crap from botyh northerners and southerners, because you accents are more southern, but our language is more northern. Hence we tend to say bath rather than barrr-th, but at the same time don't have some of the more incomprehensible twangs of 'real' northern northerners
See this is never really a problem where I live (unless you're from outback NSW or something :biggrin: ), not with the accents that is. For us, it's more - "let's bag out/take the micky of so-&-so's footie/AFL team heheh!!!" :rolleyes: And believe me, it happens a LOT where I live, take for example - I'm from Melbourne, studying in Canberra. In Melbourne, the mates pay out (tease) Canberra people by slagging off regional sports teams, and vice verse over here! :eek: It's like this 'thing', so I find I have to be quick to defend myself in either city upon mentioning where I'm from/study at to an outsider (in Australia) :rolleyes:
NDGAARONDI

Yeah! Irish can sound so American! I know this kid who has an Irish accent and I'd have thought he was an American if his nickname wasn't "Irish".

Latest

Trending

Trending