This discussion is closed.
BABOON
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hello, anyine here done it or is doing it? What products u selling? Comeon, lets bounce ideas here.
loftx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by BABOON)
Hello, anyine here done it or is doing it? What products u selling? Comeon, lets bounce ideas here.
Yeah I did it 2 years ago - we never got round to making a product, spent the whole time messing about and sold about one share.

Got a distinction in the exam though
BABOON
Whats the exam all about? Do you have to do anything for it?
loftx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by BABOON)
Whats the exam all about? Do you have to do anything for it?
Not really - they give you a made up case study about a young enterprise team before them exam. In the exam you will have to answer some questions using your own knowledge and experiance. Just read through it and make a few notes to do ok.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I'm FD for my company. The exam is in 'Enterprise' and is apparently the equivalent of 2 GCSEs or an AS level or something- though I doubt it's that great. It's probably a bit like business studies.
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I was never part of it but my school made personalised cards?!? I don't think they were a big hit..
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What is Young Enterprise anyway? Sorry I don't know a thing about it, I'm from the very deprived Tower Hamlets...
BABOON
Come on people, lets hear about your products.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I would have loved to of done ENTERPRISE. like that film 'Risky Business' with Tom Cruise. lol.
BABOON
YE is like an organisation where u get to run a company with 10 of ur mates. U design a product and sell it. Then take an exam
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I did young enterprise, but remind me to post on this tomorrow morning when i'm sober because it'll make more sense.
Ollie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
have a look here

http://www.uk-learning.net/t10120.html
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I did YE - we made nothing and still made a profit!!! That was because we decided to have a fundraiser disco for Valentine's day and made loads of money, but couldn't be bothered to do anymore!!! Our 'ideas' got us into the area finals, but seeing as we didn't have a product we didn't get any further!!!
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
OK. Young Enterprise was great for me, but some of my friends found it soooo boring. Do you choose your groups there? We got put in groups, a mix of boys and girls from the 5 6th form schools, but you could ask to be with one other person that you knew. I ended up knowing about half my group actually, from out of school activities, and people from primary school etc. Anyway, our company was really enthusiastic and came up with loads of ideas, our problem was getting them off the ground. Also because there were so many other groups in a smal area, there's a lot of competition, and because of this we didn't put on any halloween balls, or valentine ones etc, because everyone else did them. They were the main profit makers though, which is why we didn't make a lot of profit. We made candles at christmas which sold really really well, we couldn't keep up with demand. The hand painted picture frames were also very popular. Scrunchies went down like a lead balloon. It helps to have someone very artistic in your group, and it helps if everyone is really fired up about it. When electing people, make sure they'll be committed to their job, and make sure the director (whatever you want to call the leader) can control a group of people his/her own age, because ours couldn't very well. After christmas we made these little packs for kids on long journeys, which took a lot of planning and budgeting, but eventually they were made. We organised a big launch party, and sent letters out to companies we thought would be interested in the product. Unfortunately, we sent them out too late, so noone turned up at the launch. After that, everyone got disheartened, so our company started going down the pan.
The exam isn't that hard at all really, as long as you read the pre released material and go through it in your group thoroughly.
We split our end of year profits, and all went out on the lash, but not entirely sure we were supposed to do that!
Hope this helps.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
We are making personalised ambience lights, ties, crappy candles and, our piece de résistance, commemorative mugs, of which we have sold 350 already by forcing the old boys to buy one each.
Monkeybutt
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Im BABOON BTW, but cant login

Our group is doing chocoloates, we sold 5 boxes of chocs everyday for like a week, before the parents got scared that their children bought 10 bars a day everday, so closed us down. Then we are moving on to computer games, half the group are like real professional programmers so we're programming games. And also we have made an online game to play-like planetarion check out (www.secretspacegame.net)

Then we are moving on to novelities and joke items, that is going to make the bulk of our profits. BTW the games are like on cds, and we need £600 to print/copy 1000 cds.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Monkeybutt)
Im BABOON BTW, but cant login

Our group is doing chocoloates, we sold 5 boxes of chocs everyday for like a week, before the parents got scared that their children bought 10 bars a day everday, so closed us down. Then we are moving on to computer games, half the group are like real professional programmers so we're programming games. And also we have made an online game to play-like planetarion check out (www.secretspacegame.net)

Then we are moving on to novelities and joke items, that is going to make the bulk of our profits. BTW the games are like on cds, and we need £600 to print/copy 1000 cds.
Did you ahve to get special permission to sell chocolates?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Doh! Why didn't my crappy school have this scheme?! That would have been so fun!
Monkeybutt
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
ahh, now thats where the loophole lies. You can't sell food, ie cakes and stuff u made. But you are allowed to sell packaged stuff (though it doesnt say specifically)
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
That's right, because we put sweets in our kids pack. (Well it didn't really work that way because we ate all the sweets beforehand)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (64)
12.26%
Virtual campus tours/open days (124)
23.75%
Live streaming events (46)
8.81%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.96%
A uni comparison tool (121)
23.18%
An in-person event when available (115)
22.03%