Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok i did make this thread a while ago but i got hijacked and deleted, so i will ask my question again. what is it like being on them?
    and im not trying being to be rude or unsensivitve

ReputationRep:
    bad.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was on them.

ReputationRep:
    ****. but not as bad as wanting to die everyday. as i said before.

ReputationRep:
    I've often wondered about the effects? Do you go back to feeling happy again... or happier?

ReputationRep:
    They shouldn't be the first line treatment of people who feel depressed

ReputationRep:
    Its funny how all these threads poping up today with it being the day before valentines day. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    depends on the person. some people benefit, some don't. and they aren;t like happy pills, you don't go on a 'high' or anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by these_apples)
    Its funny how all these threads poping up today with it being the day before valentines day. :rolleyes:
    hehe. Thankfully anti-depressants aren't prescribed just for surviving the valentines period.

(Original post by timeofyourlife)
    They shouldn't be the first line treatment of people who feel depressed
    if they were ids never be off them

ReputationRep:
    andrew i gotta say man i have little patience for ppl fishing for sympathy

ReputationRep:
    How is he fishing for sympathy?

ReputationRep:
    Seems like everyone these days is on anti-depressants...that in itself makes me feel quite depressed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePenguinMafia)
    How is he fishing for sympathy?
    because he's telling everyone he's all depressed but won't let anyone help him. that puts me on a bit of a downer because i like to help ppl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieuk20)
    because he's telling everyone he's all depressed but won't let anyone help him. that puts me on a bit of a downer because i like to help ppl.
    As do I (hence my application to medicine) but unless you are referring to more than this one post, then I don't see where you are coming from.

(Original post by Angel_Cake)
    ...that in itself makes me feel quite depressed!
    Such is the way of the teenager.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's fair to say it seems like evryone is on them, unless of course you live in a mental hospital....they aren't exactly prescribed by your GP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annabellewalter)
    I wouldn't say it's fair to say it seems like evryone is on them, unless of course you live in a mental hospital....they aren't exactly prescribed by your GP
    ummm...yeah they are!

ReputationRep:

They have their good and bad points. I could argue that i wouldn't be here without them, having tried to eliminate myself a few times. I've been on 3 different ones, and the ones i'm on now have helped me the most. The thing is, i've been on them so long (nearly 4 years), that i don't remember what i was like without them now. And i don't think i need them as much as i used to, but if i withdraw from them too quickly i get very very physically ill. So i'm tapering my dose which is taking years! The side effects are horrible. At first i lost my appetite, and went down to seven stone. If i don't take one within 4 hours of my usual time i get sleep paralysis, sweating, nausea, dizziness etc.

If you can have some other sort of therapy before resorting to medication then do so. My psychotherapist was more screwed up than i am, but i have an appointment with a new one tomorrow and i'm hoping they will be better.

Hope this has answered some of your questions.

ReputationRep:
    Well when you are under 18 my understanding is that you are referred to a psychiatrist and a panel of social workers etc discusses the potential treatments available including therapy, conselling, and drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annabellewalter)
    Well when you are under 18 my understanding is that you are referred to a psychiatrist and a panel of social workers etc discusses the potential treatments available including therapy, conselling, and drugs.

No thats not always true. I was 16 when i was first prescribed anti-depressants by my GP. I didn't get counselling until i was 17. It depends on the area.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.