This discussion is closed.
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Couldn't see a post so decided to create one...

Do you think people are too dependant on tv?

Are attention spans shorter now?

Do you think the 'reality' of Tv leads you to over react in your life to bring the TV alive?

etc
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I use the internet far more now. TV is just for when im bored of the net.
jamieuk20
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
considering that there's a glut of evidence to show ADD in infants if they are over-exposed to TV i would have to say that it harms cerebral development and is inconducive to developing a wider attention span. in short, yes to all your questions. lol.
kateington
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I find that children don't read enough anymore and therefore lack creativity and imagination as well as a decent vocabulary.
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, if I do fail in my quest to write music for film and television then I suppose I could always apply for a proof-reading position somewhere. Did you know about 8% of the country can actually speak clear, coherent English without resorting to "****wit" text speak, metaphor or street slang? Did you know that a teacher is now assaulted in this once-proud country every 7 seconds? Did you know that 76% of primary school kids think mystique is spelt Misteeq after the singer? Depressing reading indeed
kateington
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamieuk20)
Yes, if I do fail in my quest to write music for film and television then I suppose I could always apply for a proof-reading position somewhere. Did you know about 8% of the country can actually speak clear, coherent English without resorting to "****wit" text speak, metaphor or street slang? Did you know that a teacher is now assaulted in this once-proud country every 7 seconds? Did you know that 76% of primary school kids think mystique is spelt Misteeq after the singer? Depressing reading indeed
My mum teachers english at a middle school and children aged up to 13 spell so badly. I wouldn't even mind if they tried to spell it phonetically. People need to read more
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Unfashionable my dear. Fads such as Harry Potter will do little for the consumption of literacy in the country. If you asked every kid who'd read Harry Potter what other books he/she had read in the same year I bet the answer at least 7 times out of 10 would be none.
kateington
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=jamieuk20]Unfashionable my dear. Fads such as Harry Potter will do little for the consumption of literacy in the country. If you asked every kid who'd read Harry Potter what other books he/she had read in the same year I bet the answer at least 7 times out of 10 would be none.[/QUOTE

I agree. But before i could read, my parents always read to me and encouraged me to read myself! Parents need to make sure their kids read something other than Harry Potter!!!!
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, I know. But parents are lazy. You can't blame the Government for everything. It would be nice to, but you can't.
kateington
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not blaming the government. ANd not all parents are lazy
piemonster411
Report 14 years ago
what can you gain from reading which cant be gathered from a television set?
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
an imagination
kateington
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Exactly. Plus I'm at Uni with people who don't read and they have such a limited vocab.
piemonster411
Report 14 years ago
explain
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
studies have shown that children who watch a lot of TV in their early development have stunted cerebral development and signs of ADD - Attention Deficit Disorder - yet rather than having a loving parent read a book to you before you go to bed many parents choose to plonk their kids down in front of Tweenies (or worse still Teletubbies) instead.
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
consequently you develop a much more fertile imagination if you are read to when you are a child than if you merely stare at a screen. yes, you may develop some kind of imagination if you watch TV in your early years but it is imagination of a different kind - a more localised imagination if you will. the freedom that literacy gives you is astonishing. i would recommend it.
kateington
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by piemonster411)
explain
from my own experience many of the words in my own vocab as well as conversing with other people came from reading. A child will not maximise their vocab from merely talkin to other school children and their parents
piemonster411
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamieuk20)
consequently you develop a much more fertile imagination if you are read to when you are a child than if you merely stare at a screen. yes, you may develop some kind of imagination if you watch TV in your early years but it is imagination of a different kind - a more localised imagination if you will. the freedom that literacy gives you is astonishing. i would recommend it.
But there are plenty of channels on sky...
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
there are plenty of books in libraries, what's your point? do you have one?
kateington
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by piemonster411)
But there are plenty of channels on sky...
You're really not listening are you
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.3%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.09%
Not great so far... (257)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.72%

Watched Threads