Recommended reading books Watch

This discussion is closed.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Do you actually buy recommended reading books that are mentioned in the book list for the course, or do you just borrow them?
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wait til you get there to buy any books. Then you'll find out if they're really necessary or if you only need a few pages. And you might find you can share. Also, they'll be older students selling them, or 2nd hand bookshops etc, so you can get them cheaper.

But if you find an interesting/relevant book for a couple of quid in a charity shop then buy it if you want. I find it's useful having loads of different economcis books, even though most of them weren't recommended.
Noel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But if I wait till I get there then I'm going to be behind before I've even started! Some of my universities have sent me reading lists. :eek:
*Laura*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I didn't buy any until I got here because that's when I got the reading list (for psychology). I got loads for the first semester but some I didn't even use :s This semester I've just bought one book for each of my two lecture modules.
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think it's best to wait and see how many copies the library has, how often you'll actually use them etc
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Buy em it depends what course you are doing and how available they are.
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
Do you actually buy recommended reading books that are mentioned in the book list for the course, or do you just borrow them?
I bought the three standard books on the book list. There is no way I could buy all the books they tell us to read in lectures though so I hire them from the uni library.
parsimony
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
well i would borrow them..
read them..
and if i realise that i will need the whole book later on i would buy it
trev
Rep:
?
In written exams, do some of the recommended reading information appear or only lecture notes information will?
*Laura*
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In the first year, my exams are all multiple choice. Most are covered to some extent at least in the lectures, but some require you to have done extra reading.
trev
Rep:
?
I'm assuming that some of the recommended reading information in books will be in the exam then.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Noel)
But if I wait till I get there then I'm going to be behind before I've even started! Some of my universities have sent me reading lists. :eek:
I said don't buy them til you get there. You'll probably be able to borrow most of them somehow. Probably from the (school/public) library, or sometimes your teacher may have a copy or know how to get one. But most of the stuff they want you to read beforehand is just to get a basic knowledge of the subject.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i haven't bought many books at all... i decided to go for basic things like a mathematics dictionary, psychology dictionary, statistics for psychology guide etc. me and my friends quite often get a book out the library between us and just pass it about or photocopy the relevent pages. For psychology the first and second year course is so general (we literally have 10 lectures on a topic then start a new one, it's all just giving us a taster) that my A level textbooks cover most of the stuff (i picked up loads from college cos they were getting rid of all their old ones)

lou xxx
Ariel4
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i have hardly bought any any books at all, theyre so expensive! most of the time the librarys fine, if the uni one doesnt have then the public library tends to or vice versa. i think i will be buying revision books tho, dont wanna go to the library and find out all the good ones are gone. but i dont buy them till you get there, there is really no point.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (57)
67.06%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.18%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.76%

Watched Threads