The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey people, what do you think to me moving to E Europe e.g. Ukraine to go to Med school?

im hoping to leave in november for an MBBS degree

:smile:
Reply 21
Canada is a great place to retire. Social welfare, racial harmony, beautiful scenery, close to America (and so you can still absorb US pop culture).
Sam_B
leaving the UK is probably one of the best things i ever did :biggrin:

living in another country is fun!

Why did you move to Belgium?
Reply 23
Everyone come to Canada -------> Best place ever
My friend moved to Canada just over a year ago, I am very jealous of her as she LOVES it and seems to be so happy, and there's me stuck in this horrible excuse for a country.
Places I wouldn't mind: USA, Canada, Portugal, Russia...
Reply 26
SiAnY
My friend moved to Canada just over a year ago, I am very jealous of her as she LOVES it and seems to be so happy, and there's me stuck in this horrible excuse for a country.

I wouldnt mind visiting Britain. I wouldnt want to live there because i heard that it is really expensive. Well, Europe is expensive.
Reply 27
canuck
Everyone come to Canada -------> Best place ever

I agree with you... but it's not that easy to become a permanent resident here
Reply 28
Semanort
I agree with you... but it's not that easy to become a permanent resident here

Well, in post 9/11, it isnt easy anywhere in the western world.
Reply 29
canuck
Well, in post 9/11, it isnt easy anywhere in the western world.

well, what I meant is you have to have so many qualifications and pass an interview as well... a bit like unversity admissions... and this was the procedure way before 9/11
Reply 30
Semanort
well, what I meant is you have to have so many qualifications and pass an interview as well... a bit like unversity admissions... and this was the procedure way before 9/11

I here you. Our immigration system is a bit of a mess. Its on the news almost everyday. I was watching Global National, and one report was explaining how over 500 unemployed, reciently immigrated doctors are in B.C. at the moment. The stupid part is that we currently have a shortage of doctors.
Reply 31
OO, to add to the above post. Did you here about those foreign students who were spying on nuclear power plants in Ontario? If you did, that is why people are insecure about immigration. Also, where did you immigrate from? I know its a quicker process if you immigrate from a western country opposed to a 3rd world country.
Reply 32

Why did you move to Belgium?

dad got promoted so we had to move :smile:
Reply 33
canuck
I here you. Our immigration system is a bit of a mess. Its on the news almost everyday. I was watching Global National, and one report was explaining how over 500 unemployed, reciently immigrated doctors are in B.C. at the moment. The stupid part is that we currently have a shortage of doctors.

yea, I've read the papers... that's what happens when they need 'canadian experience'... how are you supposed to get it? slghtly off topic, our unemployment rate is higher than most western countries, based also on generous unemployment benefits
Reply 34
I've been dreaming about moving to California lately. Too many bleak days in London. :redface: Maybe if I'm lucky get a place to do a PhD at a Californian uni.
Reply 35
canuck
OO, to add to the above post. Did you here about those foreign students who were spying on nuclear power plants in Ontario? If you did, that is why people are insecure about immigration. Also, where did you immigrate from? I know its a quicker process if you immigrate from a western country opposed to a 3rd world country.

no, i didn't really hear about that... what you just said is funny b/c ... I came here from Albania, and about the spying thing, it just reminded me of that simpsons episode where the albanian kid sent to live with the simpsons was a spy for the albanian gov't, and he was spying on homer's nuclear plant too
Reply 36
Semanort
yea, I've read the papers... that's what happens when they need 'canadian experience'... how are you supposed to get it? slghtly off topic, our unemployment rate is higher than most western countries, based also on generous unemployment benefits

Well, you see the generous unemployment benifits for those layed off kept my family afloat. The softwood lumber tarrifs killed a lot of jobs here. My mother is going back to work in March, but she has been layed off for 2 months so far this year, and around 5 months last year. As for getting another job, well she is 50, and she has been a log scaler for almost 30 years, not easy.

As for the rest of the country, i know Newfoundland has a 10% unemployment rate, mainly because the huge decline in the fishing industry.

As for Canada having a huge unemployment rate, its not that bad. 7% versus the U.S. 5% and Germany's 9%, i say we arent doing that bad.
Reply 37
canuck
Well, you see the generous unemployment benifits for those layed off kept my family afloat.

oh i know, that's fine, i'm just saying that some people might abuse it
Reply 38
Semanort
no, i didn't really hear about that... what you just said is funny b/c ... I came here from Albania, and about the spying thing, it just reminded me of that simpsons episode where the albanian kid sent to live with the simpsons was a spy for the albanian gov't, and he was spying on homer's nuclear plant too

Ya, i saw that episode. I think these guys were Iranians and Pakistanis
Reply 39

Latest

Trending

Trending