Turn on thread page Beta

Short eigenvector query. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If i find an eigenvector to be:

yet the answer in the back states it as:

Is my answer still correct as it is merely a scalar constant away? Would it matter which form you showed it in during an exam?

Basically, are you allowed to multiply an eigenvector by whatever value you like in order to put it in its simplest form?

ReputationRep:
    Any non-zero scalar of an eigenvector is another eigenvector.

The eigenspace (in this case the line z=0=x+2y) is unique though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)

Thanks very much. It makes sense as the scalar multiple is parallel to the original eigenvector.

I'm just introducing myself to matrices and they seem fairly interesting.

I'll give you some reputation when i can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)

Eigenvectors are vector spaces??
    I thought eigenvectors must be non-trivial, i.e. not equal to the 0 vector!

ReputationRep:
    Erm. Eigenvectors are not vector spaces, however seeing as any vector gives a basis for a one dimensional subspace it follows that an eigenvector has an associated vector subspace. And as RichE said any non-zero scalar multiple of an eigenvector is another eigenvector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    Erm. Eigenvectors are not vector spaces, however seeing as any vector gives a basis for a one dimensional subspace it follows that an eigenvector has an associated vector subspace. And as RichE said any non-zero scalar multiple of an eigenvector is another eigenvector.
    Yes I know that, I thought that RichE was claiming that eigenvectors are vector spaces themselves. For an eigenvector to be a vector space the 0 vector must be an eigenvector, which doesn't hold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galois)
    Yes I know that, I thought that RichE was claiming that eigenvectors are vector spaces themselves. For an eigenvector to be a vector space the 0 vector must be an eigenvector, which doesn't hold.
    Yes, but the definition of an eigenspace is the collection of eigenvectors associated with a particular eigenvalue, together with 0, and then such an eigenspace will be subspace.

ReputationRep:
    Another short query would be:
    Does it matter in which order you write the columns in an orthagonal matrix formed from normalised eigenvectors? I've just been adopting the approach of writing the eigenvector from the lowest eigenvalue first and the book seems to use the same one.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Another short query would be:
    Does it matter in which order you write the columns in an orthagonal matrix formed from normalised eigenvectors? I've just been adopting the approach of writing the eigenvector from the lowest eigenvalue first and the book seems to use the same one.
    Thanks.
    It only matters to the extent that the diagonal entries in P^T A P will appear in the order that the unit eigenvectors were put into the columns of P.

ReputationRep:
    Also there may be times when you want P to represent a rotation of axes, in which case you want the columns to form a right-handed orthonormal basis, or put more easily, want detP = +1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    Yes, but the definition of an eigenspace is the collection of eigenvectors associated with a particular eigenvalue, together with 0, and then such an eigenspace will be subspace.
    Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that definition.

... however seeing as any vector gives a basis for a one dimensional subspace ...
    I just realised that statement is wrong. Any non-zero vector gives a basis for a one dimensional subspace.

Galois.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    It only matters to the extent that the diagonal entries in P^T A P will appear in the order that the unit eigenvectors were put into the columns of P.
    Thanks. I tried using an orthagonal matrix i generated and got a diagonalised matrix. I just wanted to check that it's okay generally.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a query about the vector product:

I know it can be stated as:
    a X b = [a].[b].sint.n^

Is it true that n^ is simply the unit vector corresponding to a X b.
    Hence, if the magnitude of A x B is Y, can the scalar product be rewritten as:
    1 = a.b.sint.(1/Y)
    Hence: Y = a.b.sint
    sint = Y/(a.b) and t=arcsinY/(a.b) ?

ReputationRep:
    Here's a query about the vector product:

I know it can be stated as:
    a X b = [a].[b].sint.n^

Is it true that n^ is simply the unit vector corresponding to a X b.
    Hence, if the magnitude of A x B is Y, can the scalar product be rewritten as:
    1 = a.b.sint.(1/Y)
    Hence: Y = a.b.sint
    sint = Y/(a.b) and t=arcsinY/(a.b) ?
    n^ is the unit vector which is perpendicular to a,b and {a,b,n^} is right-handed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    n^ is the unique vector which is perpendicular to a,b and {a,b,n^} is right-handed.
    Right handed?

ReputationRep:
    I just realised that statement is wrong. Any non-zero vector gives a basis for a one dimensional subspace.
    That is just pedantic.

ReputationRep:
    That is just pedantic.
    Mathematicians are born to be pedantic.

ReputationRep:
    Right handed?
    Yes, so that they have the same orientation as i,j,k in that order, rather than i,k,j which is left-handed.

I guess you've realised there are two unit vectors normal to a and b. Well if you have the formula

axb = |a| |b| [email protected] n^

then the angle @ is measured anti-clockwise from a to b as viewed from the top of n^. (If you can picture that.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    Yes, so that they have the same orientation as i,j,k in that order, rather than i,k,j which is left-handed.

I guess you've realised there are two unit vectors normal to a and b. Well if you have the formula

axb = |a| |b| [email protected] n^

then the angle @ is measured anti-clockwise from a to b as viewed from the top of n^. (If you can picture that.)
    Yeah, it's similar to find the direction of magnetic field around the current. Or you can find it by a direction of a screw

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that definition.

Galois.
    the space generated by the zero vector 0 satifies the conditions for a vector space with the proviso we ignore the usual scalar identity element being "1".
    since 1.v=v.1=v for all v in a vector space V is the definition of scalar identity we can replace 1 by 0 in the 0-space as we have 0.0=0.0=0.
    ie for all v in 0-space 0.v=v.0=v
    (since only vector in 0 space is the zero space.)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 15, 2005

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.