Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can understand the whole thing about guys opening up more online. One of my best net mates is quite a shy guy IRL but finds it easier to express his feelings if he can think befores he speaks, as you can do online.
    I also agree with what PQ says about couples who meet online not necessarily having looked for a partner.

ReputationRep:
    I think with love online there's a disadvantage cus you can never get to know their tone of voice, body language, and be involved in his/her actual life, as you would wanna be part of if you loved someone. Besides with online stuff, if your partner turned out to live miles away it makes stuff complicated and very difficult. And then there is always the question of will you be attracted to that person lol!

But yeh most of the time, love online, you weren't looking for it - it just "happens".

I think online dating could be dangerous cus you are more opened, therefore you get more involved - and if your online partner turns out to be just messing around but you can't possibly know cus it's online, then, well... And being online means neither of you truly knows what the person is really like in real life - just the tiny details - and so neither of you truly knows if you're truly in love, even if it feels so sincere and so so real.

Generally, I'm not keen on online dating. You can find true love online (my goodness that sounds cheesy) but I think there're more risks and factors to look at when it's online.

I think my ex would've known what he truly felt for me had we actually hang round in person - and save both of us the heartaches. Save the hassle cus it wouldn't have carried on. Surprisingly enough I'm not angry with my ex - but I have no respect left for him that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I met my ex bf and current bf on the net~
    Since people would have become more open when chatting (usually), it's easier to get to know them better.
    Haha... and we enjoy chatting on MSN more than talking on phone now~ sometimes, we put our webcams up to make the chat more fun And since we are used to communicating with "text", we now often write each other little notes on the paper instead of of talking with each other with our months~
    I'm 100% for internet love~!!

ReputationRep:
    i suppose you can fall in love with anyone you come across, no matter how... meeting someone online is only coming across them the same as meeting them in a club, although i find the idea slightly more dodgy :confused:

ReputationRep:
    lol, how funny.

might work though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Most people who find love online (like in real life) weren't looking for it
    Yeah I met my fiance on the internet. I totally wasnt looking for love at the time, I had just come out of a crappy relationship but after talking to him for a few months I really liked him. I found out he was the brother of a boy I went to college with, which made it a lot easier to dare go and meet him. If I hadn't known his brother so well I probably wouldn't have gone and met him in fear of him being an internet pervert lol.
    I am so glad I did though, we are so good together, he is great. Gonna get soppy here but I think it was fate that made us go on the particular website at the same time. Otherwise I probably would never have met him...

ReputationRep:
    Finding someone on the net is a starting point - it isnt the be all and end all. I wouldnt go online LOOKING for love, but if I accidently found it, I wouldnt say "It'll never work" just because I met them online. If you meet someone online and like them you'll want to meet them in real life - then you can find out if you like who they really are. Let's face it, its just as easy to pretend to be somone you arent, put on a fake personality, in real life too. How many of us can say we are absolutely true to ourselves with every person in our lives.? are we the same person at work, at school, with our parents, our friends, our lovers? We adapt our personaliities to suit who we are with and the situation. Someone who spends enough time around us will eventually see many of the faces we put on, and come to build a complete picture from that. How is the personality you show someone online any more fake than the one you show to a crush you are trying to impress and are shy around?
    personally, if I met someone online I'd take it from there and furthur it, an online romance wouldnt be enough. But like I said, its a nice starting point if it happens.

ReputationRep:
    The link isn't working...

ReputationRep:
    I met my current girlfriend online...on here to be exact! Neither of us were looking for a relationship online, it just so happened that I met the person I have the most in common with, the person I can talk to for hours and hours without ever running out of things to say, my soulmate, online.

Though I would never say we really had an 'internet relationship' per se, things only became official after we met...because people's online personalities CAN be different from real life, we could've been 2 totally different, uncompatible people in real life, thank god this wasn't the case, but I do realise I was setting myself up for a fall, guess I was just lucky, but I wasn't prepared to let it go just because we met online.

And now I'm the happiest i've ever been. so yay! \o/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    I met my current girlfriend online...on here to be exact! Neither of us were looking for a relationship online, it just so happened that I met the person I have the most in common with, the person I can talk to for hours and hours without ever running out of things to say, my soulmate, online.

Though I would never say we really had an 'internet relationship' per se, things only became official after we met...because people's online personalities CAN be different from real life, we could've been 2 totally different, uncompatible people in real life, thank god this wasn't the case, but I do realise I was setting myself up for a fall, guess I was just lucky, but I wasn't prepared to let it go just because we met online.

Aw that's lovely.
    Me and my fiance met online, it was October 2002 when we first started talking. On 10 January 2003 we first met up, we went on a few dates just to get to know each other properly, then on 26 January 2003 we officially "got together" calling each other boyfriend and girlfriend, introducing to parents etc.
    We were just friends whilst talking on the net, couldn't have started going out with him so to speak until I had met him properly. We only live 5 minutes away from each other. Who knows we may have met on a night out later in life as I know his brother well, it just so happens that we met online instead.

ReputationRep:

Very sweet. How far apart do you live? How often do you meet up in real life?

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen, they tend to be a bit dodgy - my boyfriend's last relationship was online with a girl in America. They had loads in common, but (from what I've heard) his online personality was different to his one in real life, and he only clung to this relationship because no-one in real life would go out with him.

I think it's easier to pretend to be someone you're not online, smooth over the parts of you that you don't like and take on a different pseudonym, cos nobody can tell if you're lying or not.

Relationships can work out - someone I know is now living in America married to a girl he met online.. but be careful, they can screw you up and if you get addicted to internet chat it will have an effect on your social life. So if you're using internet as a 'substitute' for a social life, it will get more and more so. If you get what I mean. But well done to all the peoples' who are working out!

ReputationRep:
    I find people online are more 'real' than they are in real life. If that makes sense. The anonymity can lead to learning more about a person. However, I'm talking about this on purely friendship terms. I've met one person from the forum in real life, and she was as nice IRL as she was through PMs.

However, I know people who have met up with someone online - and they're now living together - but there are also a lot of weirdos out there.

ReputationRep:
    My situation seems different from others. There was a question asked how often do you see your partner? I see mine nearly every night! We only live 5mins drive from each other. So although we met on the internet we don't have an "internet relationship" if people get what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goblin paste)
    Then good luck to them.

If they have no luck in real life, at least they're doing something about it and choosing alternative methods.
    But by doing that they're blocking off real life, in my opinion. Heheh, sorry, I just don't like the idea

ReputationRep:
    I had lots of luck in real life, but I still met my boyfriend of nearly a year online. Nowt wrong with that, not as though either of us were socially inept or anything! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I never believed in true love online before...until now.

There was once when this guy i've known online for about an year or so asked me if i'm willing to try a long distance relationship with him. I treated him as my really good friend, but considering i've never met him before, I turned him down. He was really hurt and his friend told me that he was really serious about me...but I knew it wouldn't work and they both understood.

I have always been convinced that although I've managed to know many of my very close friends online...most of whom share my passions and dreams and love me for who I am, despite them being on different parts of the world...finding true love online would never work. But then i guess TSR changed this. I never expected to find my bf here. He PM-ed me cos by then I was the only other person he realised is from HK, and we started talking. We finally met up for a movie...and then another movie...and we talked more and more and became closer and closer. It was weird...we didn't know each other for very long...but I guess we both felt something between us. Eventually, we became official on Valentine's Day. So...I guess true love CAN happen on the net. :love:

And we just watched "A Very Long Engagement" tonight. Brilliant movie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Very sweet. How far apart do you live? How often do you meet up in real life?
    in term time we live about 3 hours away on the train (Oxford-Manchester)
    in the hollidays, we're about an hour apart on the train(Aylesbury-London). we meet up as much as possible, since we've been together, we've seen each other most weekends, and because Oxford terms finish earlier, Kate came to Manchester to stay for a couple of weeks, and she was here with me in London just yesterday as it happens.

Wont see her till Saturday now though, then after that, it'll be almost 2 weeks before we see each other again

ReputationRep:
    I got my ***** online, she rocks

ReputationRep:
    in term time we live about 3 hours away on the train (Oxford-Manchester)
    in the hollidays, we're about an hour apart on the train(Aylesbury-London). we meet up as much as possible, since we've been together, we've seen each other most weekends, and because Oxford terms finish earlier, Kate came to Manchester to stay for a couple of weeks, and she was here with me in London just yesterday as it happens.

Wont see her till Saturday now though, then after that, it'll be almost 2 weeks before we see each other again
    2 weeks? Sheesh, you're lucky; I usually go 3-4 weeks between meetups and now I might not see him until June.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.