The Student Room Group

Moving to Saudi arabia????

i just wanted to see your thought on this problematic ISSUE.

My dad got an offer from a saudi company. the offer is very very apealing they are paying loads of cash but should he accept we would have to move to the kingdom. he has been consulting us on this issue, as far as moving there is concerned i am ok 'cos we know some friends who have moved there and find life there quite satisfactory. but the biggest issue is the trend of bombings there, i think there is a high risk of being blown apart in your car or worse: kidnapped then aired on al jazeera.
We have like three month to decide whether he will take the offer or not. what do you think bearing in mind that the money is hugely awsome and this opportunity will certainely never comeback
Reply 1
Gentilhomme

My dad got an offer from a saudi company. the offer is very very apealing they are paying loads of cash but should he accept we would have to move to the kingdom. he has been consulting us on this issue, as far as moving there is concerned i am ok 'cos we know some friends who have moved there and find life there quite satisfactory. but the biggest issue is the trend of bombings there, i think there is a high risk of being blown apart in your car or worse: kidnapped then aired on al jazeera.
We have like three month to decide whether he will take the offer or not. what do you think bearing in mind that the money is hugely awsome and this opportunity will certainely never comeback

Whereabouts in Saudi will he be staying? My dad works out there and I used to live there so I could help:smile:
Reply 2
i am not sure of the name but it is quite near the capital
Reply 3
Gentilhomme
i am not sure of the name but it is quite near the capital

We used to live in the Eastern Province, and it is a generally safe and "more laid back" area than the Capital. He WILL be shocked by the amount of security there when he first lands, but he should get used to it fairly quickly.

Expatriates are generally kept quite separate from the local Saudis, but it is still essential to respect local values, which MAY take some getting used to. :smile:
Reply 4
My friends mum and dad moved to Kuwait when they were in school and they stayed in boarding school and joined their parnets in the holidays, dont know if that interest you.
Otherwise I wouldn't let fear stop you going. if you inspect your car before leaving and be aware of your personal safety then you should be ok.
Reply 5
I spent 9 years living in Saudi Arabia, including a period during the first Gulf War when I used to go onto the roof of my villa and watch the scuds. I loved my time there.
Living in another country like that is awesome, interntional schools are wicked and you make alot of good connections
Reply 7
I didn't live in Saudi, but Dubai. I visited often though. I lived there for 11 years and it was amazing, the best time ever. There is so much to do out there and the community is great. Go. Definatly go. It is a once in a lifetime experience and you will love it! I've been trying to get back ever since I left.
Reply 8
Where abouts in Saudi Arabia... because i use to live there so i mite be able to help u out :smile:
Reply 9
Gentilhomme

well not exactly saudi arabia... Dubai..... it was the best and i am thinking of going on hoilday there this easter.... yay :biggrin:
Reply 10
BlackHawk
I didn't live in Saudi, but Dubai. I visited often though. I lived there for 11 years and it was amazing, the best time ever. There is so much to do out there and the community is great. Go. Definatly go. It is a once in a lifetime experience and you will love it! I've been trying to get back ever since I left.

You use to live Dubai... so did i... hehe what a coincedence :smile:
Reply 11
yes Dubai rules,

but as for Saudi? the chance of you "getting blown up" or whatever u mentioned earlier isn't significant, theres a low risk that u'll 'suffer' there. nearby Jeddah especially u should be fine -and the area will be pretty damn decent like other advanced Saudi areas. and regarding the terrorist risks, the previous bombings etc. will only have have alleviated the security :smile:

be prepared for quite a culture change though!
Reply 12
i would definately go if i had an opportunity like that! it'd be cool to experience a different culture and meet new people with different values etc..... :party:
You cant compare dubai to saudi arabia guys common.....

Where did you guys live in dubai? I have a flat in deira, and a house in jumeria go there most holidays
Reply 14
I used to live in Dubai, what school were you all in?
Reply 15
ramroff
I used to live in Dubai, what school were you all in?

ENGLISH MEDIUM :biggrin: ... gosh i'm suprised i still remember :rolleyes:
Reply 16
BlackHawk

Saudi Arabia´s different from Dubai, you know...
Reply 17
never been....but i think it's a lot differnt......i think saudi's more religious
Saudi Arabia?

You joking? Id never even think of going there. All those Westerns getting murdered. Never, money might be nice but why would you want to go to a country that is completly different, can't drink and have the chance of getting murdered everytime you walk out the door.
KandyKane
Saudi Arabia´s different from Dubai, you know...

Yeah, don't even think of comparing them.

Dubai is in the UAE, a country which is extremely multicultural with huge Western influence. It is also very rich. Dubai has some of the world's finest hotels and an artificial palm island (or is that still being planned?) where many of the world's richest people buy homes.

Saudi Arabia... multicultural? Well you get in trouble if you're seen practicing any religion but Islam. And they hadn't used to let non-Islamic tourists in at all until recently.

Latest

Trending

Trending