Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know the obvious differene (=P), I mean in terms of morals etc. Logically speaking. Assuming homosexualiy is morally sound, does this imply that incest is morally sound? Or is there a fundamental difference which makes it immoral?

I'd say, yes, incest between a male/female is dangerous, for any children they might accidentally end up bearing, and there's a tendany for it to be an abusive relationship in many cases such as say father/daughter. But I struggle to see any reason why say, two sisters who for whatever reason decided they wanted to get it on would be any of my business.

ReputationRep:
    incest is equally illegal no matter who participates in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieuk20)
    I am aware of this, but you realise that legality isn't the same as morality?

ReputationRep:
    It does matter who participates in incest because it is limited to certain people and how they relate to each person concerned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I am aware of this, but you realise that legality isn't the same as morality?
    People often use moral high grounds to justify their reasons without realising where morals essentially have come from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    It does matter who participates in incest because it is limited to certain people and how they relate to each person concerned.
    True, I should have added to my post the various 'possibilites' in incest, i.e. sexual relations between two people so closely related by blood that they cannot marry - this is how the dictionary defines it.

ReputationRep:
    True, I should have added to my post the various 'possibilites' in incest, i.e. sexual relations between two people so closely related by blood that they cannot marry - this is how the dictionary defines it.
    Do you realise the history of incest with respect to its (il)legal status?

ReputationRep:
    the illeglity and dislike of incest does come primarily from the genetic reasons for it - in animals and other cultures unaware of said reasons, it is not taboo. A further reason are the issues of trust and abuse which surround any relationahip where one is in a postition of power - student-teacher, employer-employee, parent-child. Between same-sex adults of the same age, these reasons fall down and it is simply ewwww! Which isn't really a reasoned arguement.

ReputationRep:
    Do you realise the history of incest with respect to its (il)legal status?
    Yes, it is illegal because of the biological implications. It's something to do with the fact that if you screw your sister then you are potentially denying the entire human gene pool your genes, therefore limiting the advancement of the human race.

ReputationRep:
    to compare incest and homosexuality in terms of morality might be difficult..

from my point of view.. i don't see anything immoral about being homosexual while i consider sleeping with you relatives pretty disgusting..

but if it's immoral? hard to say...hm..i guess..as long as this relation does not produce any child its not immoral.. or as long as it isn't abusive..

if both persons (e.g.: daughter and father) want to start this kind of relationship (which seem pretty unlikely to me) i think we don't have the right to judge it as being immoral..they are both only humans who happened to be attracted to each other.,

in short:
    incest -> disgusting? yes! immoral? well.. rather no than yes...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is illegal because of the biological implications. It's something to do with the fact that if you screw your sister then you are potentially denying the entire human gene pool your genes, therefore limiting the advancement of the human race.
    That is certainly one reason. Another is just legislators, and, indeed, the population's overall view of the matter. It has been suggested on other threads, and I will find it if I come across them, that this medical reasoning has little ground now because of all the efforts made so that enough people did not have incestuous relationships. I'm better off asking a medic on this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by platinumki)
    these reasons fall down and it is simply ewwww! Which isn't really a reasoned arguement.
    indeed, concerns me :|

ReputationRep:
    I'm better off asking a medic on this one.
    Let us know if you come across anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I know the obvious differene (=P), I mean in terms of morals etc. Logically speaking. Assuming homosexualiy is morally sound, does this imply that incest is morally sound? Or is there a fundamental difference which makes it immoral?

I'd say, yes, incest between a male/female is dangerous, for any children they might accidentally end up bearing, and there's a tendany for it to be an abusive relationship in many cases such as say father/daughter. But I struggle to see any reason why say, two sisters who for whatever reason decided they wanted to get it on would be any of my business.
    I would say that they are equally morally wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    I would say that they are equally morally wrong.
    why?

ReputationRep:
    homosexuality concerns anal stimulation and obviously since it is impossible for gays to reproduce then it is rather a redundant sexual orientation. I am a Christian and this is something that morally offends me. As for incest, don't even get me started. Why would it not be morally wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parsimony)
    why?
    they do nothing to guarantee the next generation actually exists in a correct fashion.

in homosexuality there will be no children.
    in incest you'll get a genetic disaster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    they do nothing to guarantee the next generation actually exists in a correct fashion.

in homosexuality there will be no children.
    in that case, protected sex for pleasure is immoral too? (it doesn't create children neither..) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    'Correct fashion' is what exactly?

It depends on how the genes are matched. You will have a more of a disaster if it was between mother and son than aunt and newphew. Also previous incestuous generations to consider here - e.g. Queen Victoria.

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking.. don't ppl consider incest as being morally wrong also because it's rather rare??

and on the other hand..there are so many homosexuals so ppl kind of stopped (not everybody though..) to think of it as being immoral?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.