how much revision did you odo for your A levels? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Wild Thing
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hey! :flute:

I was wondering when you started your revision for your A2s (and AS as well) and if you felt you should have started before (depending on the grades you got).
And how much did you do..as in how many hours per day and stuff.
Thank you for your answers

WT xxx
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I do revision when it's during the easter holidays or during the start of april. Last year, I revised 1-2 hours a day.
Wild Thing
Rep:
?
(Original post by trev)
I do revision when it's during the easter holidays or during the start of april. Last year, I revised 1-2 hours a day.
and how did you do if i may ask :angel:
Create
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I started briefly reading through some of my notes before the Easter hols, started revising properly over the Easter hols - probably did 8-9 hours a day with a few of days off, then slowed it down a bit on the run up to the exams. Good luck with it - keep thinking ahead 'til the Summer!
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Create)
I started briefly reading through some of my notes before the Easter hols, started revising properly over the Easter hols - probably did 8-9 hours a day with a few of days off, then slowed it down a bit on the run up to the exams. Good luck with it - keep thinking ahead 'til the Summer!
How often did you take breaks, and for how long? What did you do in them? How many subjects did you revise per day? Sorry for all the questions, but I was useless at revising for my GCSEs and AS-levels are a lot harder, so I want to get it right this time! I'm going on holiday for one week at Easter, which would only leave a week where I could revise for long periods of time before going back to school and almost all of my exams are in May, so I was wondering how early I should start revising.....
K_G_UK_1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
How often did you take breaks, and for how long? What did you do in them? How many subjects did you revise per day? Sorry for all the questions, but I was useless at revising for my GCSEs and AS-levels are a lot harder, so I want to get it right this time! I'm going on holiday for one week at Easter, which would only leave a week where I could revise for long periods of time before going back to school and almost all of my exams are in May, so I was wondering how early I should start revising.....

Sorry but i have to disagree with this comment

'Sorry for all the questions, but I was useless at revising for my GCSEs'- Hey, you still got 1A* and 6A's..... which is brill! :thrasher:
Hash
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For AS I started revising the week before my exams - I just couldn't concentrate on it before that.

I wouldn't recommend it leaving it that late - I was lucky to get the grades I wanted.
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
For AS I started to sort out all my notes and read books (for english and drama) at the end of the easter holidays and then started to revise when I left for study leave a week before may half term...Leaving me 2/3 weeks to revise for my exams. I worked most days for about 5 hours.
sleepyeba
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
AS experience: write notes early as poss, helps you along the way (well before feb half term, pref over xmas hols). coursework can jump on you like a rabid frog.

i started proper beginning of april, worked solid (well, as much as i could without getting suicidal) right up to exams. (Solid = say, 5 hrs/day. Prob 2 hrs until 1 month away)
If you're doing Physics, i would say practise on past papers is the best - i went from E in the mocks to a B in the summer (well, i did **** all for the mocks ).
my AS grades: AABCC (Computing; Economics; Physics; Geography - biggest upset, didn't revise for on e of the module :s: ; General studies - wouldn't worry about this AT ALL unless your unis like it)
Learned from my mistakes, starting a little earlier this year... Now. (Supposed to be revising now )
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i worked through the easter hols on my art coursework.

truly and honestly, provided you attend all lessons you can do as i did and revise one module in one week, 12 hours a day with breaks for food only. i got AAABB in phys chem math eng and art. i did phys one module in one week. if there's 2 exams in one week just push yourelf to the limit. i just cant motivate myself long before the exams as they seem too far away. however, i say try hard in the jan modules so u dont have to resit them which is a pain in butt. you should find if u r consistant you'll only need D's or E's in synoptic papers if u get A's in all modules to get an A overall.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For AS, I didn't revise anywhere near enough. It probably amounted to a few days before the exams. I was lucky, and somehow ended up with good grades (AAABB). But I'm sure I could have got an A for History if I actually did some proper revision. I'm determined to do more this year, because it means so much more. There will be no resitting if I fail to get the grades
Create
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
I didn't tend to take many breaks - but that's just because I like working in long chunks - I barely notice the time go, and find I can concentrate better. This doesn't work for everyone though, and the general recommendation is to take breaks. I generally revised all morning, took an hour for lunch, revised a bit more after lunch, went away and did something completely different like playing the piano or something, then did a past paper in the evening.

Generally stuck to one subject per day, didn't make a timetable because some days I was in the mood for a particular subject, and other days I was really motivated to do a different subject. Managed to maintain a balance though.

Have PMed you with my subjects and results.

Different strategies work for different people - I would say though if you knuckle down early, you feel more confident because you know you've already covered a lot when it gets nearer to the exam period. Make the most of the extra time over Easter - get up early so the morning isn't wasted. Just be sensible, don't do too much, but don't wile away the time - and remember to reward yourself when you've done a good day!

I found the most important thing though was doing past papers, just keep doing them. If you finish them all, do them again. Good luck!
Mushu
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Create)
I didn't tend to take many breaks - but that's just because I like working in long chunks - I barely notice the time go, and find I can concentrate better. This doesn't work for everyone though, and the general recommendation is to take breaks. I generally revised all morning, took an hour for lunch, revised a bit more after lunch, went away and did something completely different like playing the piano or something, then did a past paper in the evening.

Generally stuck to one subject per day, didn't make a timetable because some days I was in the mood for a particular subject, and other days I was really motivated to do a different subject. Managed to maintain a balance though.

Have PMed you with my subjects and results.

Different strategies work for different people - I would say though if you knuckle down early, you feel more confident because you know you've already covered a lot when it gets nearer to the exam period. Make the most of the extra time over Easter - get up early so the morning isn't wasted. Just be sensible, don't do too much, but don't wile away the time - and remember to reward yourself when you've done a good day!

I found the most important thing though was doing past papers, just keep doing them. If you finish them all, do them again. Good luck!
Excellent advise
Create
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mushu)
Excellent advise
Thank you! Glad someone approved!
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by K_G_UK_1)
Sorry but i have to disagree with this comment

'Sorry for all the questions, but I was useless at revising for my GCSEs'- Hey, you still got 1A* and 6A's..... which is brill! :thrasher:
Thanks I did mean to do a lot more revision than I actually did, but as it turned out, I still got the grades I wanted, so I was lucky there.
White_redrose
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Good revision advice people! I started revising too late (only about 10days before my first AS exam, would NOT recommend that at all = lots of stress) but I intend to start earlier this year. (Although my good intentions never usually work out!)
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
gonna start revising thursday for everything and every night after that. Best to make sure you can get the highest grade possible otherwise you may regret it bigtime.
Aitch
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wild thing)
Hey! :flute:

I was wondering when you started your revision for your A2s (and AS as well) and if you felt you should have started before (depending on the grades you got).
And how much did you do..as in how many hours per day and stuff.
Thank you for your answers

WT xxx
Did AL French, English, Latin, ages ago.

Did AL Maths last year.

Doing Further Maths this year.

Each subject has a different strategy.

For (Further) Maths. Accumulate heaps of past questions. Do progressively more as relevant exam approaches. Decide on what needs to be memorised, and how your memory accepts data. Apply procedure.

Buy bottle of really good claret for each module studied.

Drink one after each module.**

Aitch

**unless next module on following day.
Wild Thing
Rep:
?
Thank you people!!!
hongkongstudent
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I always say that I should revise early...and then end up revising 5-6 days before my first AS exam. Not really good, but what I realised from having to revise 6 AS subjects over 5-6 days was that revising in very large blocks works for some people. Everything is down to personal preference I guess. But for me, revising from morning to night with nothing much in between apart from meals seemed to do me wonders for some bizzare reason. In honesty, you can never revise early enough in my view, I know several students who revise right from the start of year 13 by revising everything they learn every lesson at the end of the week...and boy does it do them good because they have nearly no stress near the exam dates. (I've always wanted to try but couldn't being myself to dedicate to such a cause...)

Thankfully, my AS-levels turned out to be brilliant (Although several were BARELY on the boundary for an A) although I did drop a grade in maths which I deeply regret.

So I say revise early, and if you do miss your target grade...at least you know you did your best (and this makes everything feel much better)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.83%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.44%
Not great so far... (229)
35.5%
I want to drop out! (124)
19.22%

Watched Threads