Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been sent my acceptance letters and i have been invited to the computing open day with a choice of two days, it says if i cant make it they will send a pack to me. Is it really important to go or not? what will happen on the open day?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    well my friend is goint to the computing open day so i suppose i can just speak to him and see what he though of it. anyway they will be sending me the welcome pack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james101)
    I have been sent my acceptance letters and i have been invited to the computing open day with a choice of two days, it says if i cant make it they will send a pack to me. Is it really important to go or not? what will happen on the open day?

thanks
    It's up to you really. You should go to see what the course is like, the campus, student life accomodation, etc... It's worth going there.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you so adamant that you don't want to go though?

ReputationRep:
    well im working on both the open days so im not sure, i still have some holidays left to take at work so not sure if i shuld take it then. i have only applied to the one uni so it doesnt matter what the facilities are like because it is my only choice.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever visited it before?

ReputationRep:
    not properly no, but it is down the road from me lol.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well, you could arrange to get a look round on another day if you don't want to take time off work?

ReputationRep:
    the letter says i need to reply to the letter within 14days so im not sure if it means they need to recieve the form in 14 days or i need to send it no later than 14days?

ReputationRep:
    I would go. Then again, my open days were trips by train paid for by my parents. Very nice they were to.

ReputationRep:
    so what exactly happens at an open day for a specific department? mine is a computing open day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james101)
    so what exactly happens at an open day for a specific department? mine is a computing open day.
    you'll probably get shown round their department, the facilities etc (which for computing i would think were quite important), told about the structure of their course (coursework, exams etc.), what the content of the course is, expected reading you'll do before. you'll then probably get shown round the uni and halls etc. i would def go... everyone has a different opinion on unis so asking your friend probably isn't enough (my twin brother couldn't stand dundee wheras i fell in love with it)... i really think that you have to look round a uni before goin there, it's a huge choice to make and i think that make it as a ''blind choice' is just silly

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Preconceptions of a place can be misleading also... the open day could completely change your opinion of a place, or could cement your decision not to go there. They are well worth going to though just to be sure!

ReputationRep:
    i have got invitations to open days and probably won't go because i live in northern ireland and couldnt be bothered to go to scotland/north of england!!!

ReputationRep:
    I also cant really be bothered to go to any open days as its a trek plus all they'll talk about is mainly the course contents, something you can find out without going there. Also if its a big city or uni your only going to see a very small part of it so wont be able to fully see the good and bad bits. Also if traveling quite far its going to take time and cost money.

ReputationRep:
    ive only applied to one uni but 2 different courses ad i dont really want to leave brighton, i could of chosen sussex aswell but might not of got in as i think they require you to get better grades than brighton uni.

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise you to go but it looks like you've already made up you mind to be lazy and not to bother.

ReputationRep:
    lol thanks, i probaly will go but i need to book the day off as a holiday, if i can sort it out i will.

ReputationRep:
    Most universities hold interviews on their open days, so you should go if this is the case.

ReputationRep:
    i'd go. as people have said everyone have different views of it. but people tend to get a feel for a place goign to look round - i loved sussex as it seemed so friendly, but reading just didn't do it for me at all. it would be a good opportunity to meet the lecturers and also other people who you will be studying with! there may be more to the course to meet the eye - for example, when i went to an admissions day i found out i can spend a term in north america as part of my course. this isn't mentioned anywhere in the prospectus though, and i wouldn't know if i hadn't been!

doing computing i would have thought you'd want to look at the facilities too. but obviously it's up to you.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.