TSR 'Wit' Society Watch

Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Chiron)
A society of poseurs. Haha! Cute.
Finally! Someone who truly recognises us for what we are. I have very much enjoyed your philosophical musings, by-the-by.
Profesh
Rep:
?
(Original post by thatguy)
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
A witty saying proves nothing. :rolleyes:
yusufu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I do not mean to cause personal affront to any member of this highly exclusive society, however i feel compelled to comment on the complete and utter current banality of this society. I suspect that the initial stock of wit has been distributed amongst too great a number, thus reducing the quality.

This comment is made regarding the contrast to the rather promising inception.
Profesh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Undry1)
I do not mean to cause personal affront to any member of this highly exclusive society, however i feel compelled to comment on the complete and utter current banality of this society. I suspect that the initial stock of wit has been distributed amongst too great a number, thus reducing the quality.

This comment is made regarding the contrast to the rather promising inception.
And I suspect that you are, at least in part, correct: I did attempt to remedy this deficiency by way of inaugurating 'sub-alterns' (those who have merely demonstrated a passing interest in the concept; albeit not, necessarily, the requisite faculties), as distinct from the 'viceroys elect' (those whose 'wit' was deemed pre-eminent); however, this shortfall has since become endemic in the chronic absenteeism of several, formerly 'key', members, when taken in contrast to what can only be described as rampant proliferation among those less fortuitously endowed. As such, perhaps a "re-shuffle" looks to be in order; watch this space.
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
A witty saying proves nothing. :rolleyes:
The words of Voltaire are lost on the majority of General Chat, I fear.
Profesh
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
The words of Voltaire are lost on the majority of General Chat, I fear.
The principle of plagiarism, however, proliferates none the less.
Profesh
Rep:
?
The 'Wit' society is a democratic one: to bestow an invitation, is one thing; to enjoy a response which does not pullulate with the words: 'piss'; 'off'; 'you' and '*******' (necessarily in that order), quite another.
GreenMonstrosity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Perhaps you should have a selection process of some description.

I propose some sort of challenge or test,
Not membership granted by mere request.
Yet if too many join you may come to rue
Pullulating the founding, erudite few!
gCarroll
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
gCarroll thinks it a shame this is not the poetry society or you would surely be admitted.
Herleif
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hmmm. If the definition of being witty involves writing in an over-elaborately ornate and flowery style then Profesh indeed personifies his creation. However, upon examination of wit in the dictionary and close inspection of the posts found above i feel compelled to observe that very little of what has here been said is, in the true sense of the word, witty. Rather this thread is another example of intellectual arrogance as was found in beekeeper's 'proper english' thread which was heckled to such and extent that he took it upon himself to remove it.

Good day

-M-
GreenMonstrosity
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by metta)
hmmm. If the definition of being witty involves writing in an over-elaborately ornate and flowery style then Profesh indeed personifies his creation. However, upon examination of wit in the dictionary and close inspection of the posts found above i feel compelled to observe that very little of what has here been said is, in the true sense of the word, witty. Rather this thread is another example of intellectual arrogance as was found in beekeeper's 'proper english' thread which was heckled to such and extent that he took it upon himself to remove it.

Good day

-M-
I think intellectual arrogance is the point of this. It seems more a deliberate self parody to me, and perhaps therein lies the joke.
Joshworkinghard
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So now this little collation of wittiscists is back on its feet, how can it be arranged for members to prove their verbal prowess and thus be inducted as a member of this society?
kingslaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Joshworkinghard)
So now this little collation of wittiscists is back on its feet, how can it be arranged for members to prove their verbal prowess and thus be inducted as a member of this society?
An egg and spoon race .
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
I propose a race around the world. Meet with me in Leicester Square, the Queen herself will drop the chequered flag!

(Does that work for everything?)
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I propose a race around the world. Meet with me in Leicester Square, the Queen herself will drop the chequered flag!

It provides a simple, elegant yet highly awkward solution to all issues. :rolleyes:
GreenMonstrosity
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Reminiscent of a book I've read...do we perchance have an 80 day time limit?
Joshworkinghard
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I say, toodlepip. Last one back is a rotten egg!!
Piggsil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I haven't actually read anything 'witty' in this thread (granted I did only read the first 2 pages and the latest one) and from what I can tell, the way to join this society is to use incredibly long words in a slightly humorous manner.... :confused:
Herleif
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Rebecca/Becca)
I haven't actually read anything 'witty' in this thread (granted I did only read the first 2 pages and the latest one) and from what I can tell, the way to join this society is to use incredibly long words in a slightly humorous manner.... :confused:
remove the slightly humerous bit and you're there
Mrs P
Report 14 years ago
Bloody hell ladies and gentlemen. I revise all day and at the end of it, I have to still use my somewhat lacking brain cells in an attempt to try and translate you all. Whats wrong with monosyllabic words? everything good is monosyllabic (except for the word itself). Stop trying to pretend your interesting by refusing to use words that are less than 5 characters long. Go out, be sociable (with REAL people) and get drunk. Then see if you can still speak in long words!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (157)
59.25%
No I haven't decided yet (62)
23.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.36%

Watched Threads