Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else this Profresh isn’t funny? And that he has a large forehead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consie)

Maybe not blatantly funny. Like you.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    He's not even subtly funny - his wit is ****. My wit is ****, but I don’t make out to be good at it.

ReputationRep:
    He's not even subtly funny - his wit is ****. My wit is ****, but I don’t make out to be good at it.

He is infinitely wittier than you. You just can't comprehend his wit. So you choose to ignore its existence.

ReputationRep:
    I knew this comeback was coming; it’s the stock thing people say when you tell them their attempts at sophistication aren’t working. He sucks, he’s ugly, he’s got red hair as well as being ugly, and you suck too.

ReputationRep:
    I knew this comeback was coming; it’s the stock thing people say when you tell them their attempts at sophistication aren’t working. He sucks, he’s ugly, he’s got red hair as well as being ugly, and you suck too.

I bet he's really offended too

ReputationRep:
    He sucks, he’s ugly, he’s got red hair as well as being ugly, and you suck too.
    How original and eloquent! :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukeitfc)
    I bet he's really offended too
    As a Hedge-Fund Manager, on receiving word that the front-lobby receptionist's psychometric aptitude measured five points higher than his own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    As a Hedge-Fund Manager, on receiving word that the front-lobby receptionist's psychometric aptitude measured five points higher than his own.

I'll bet she's got a degree, everyone has these days.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure he knows all these things, hence why his arrogance is tempered(albeit unwillingly) by self-depracation.

ReputationRep:
    He's not particularly witty, but I'm sure quite wonderful to poke fun at.

ReputationRep:
    How exactly do you poke fun? Until you present me with a tangable box of fun; and no, I'm not talking happy meal, mind, that one can poke at with a stick or empty pot noodle...thingy...... then I will not understand the turn of phrase.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it could be related to the idea of pointing and laughing...

ReputationRep:
    Forget poking fun, how do you actually take the piss? Whose piss is it? Where am I taking it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_alba)
    Forget poking fun, how do you actually take the piss? Whose piss is it? Where am I taking it?

It dates back to ancient times, when cow's urine was used in homeopathic medicines. It was extremely valuable, and would be highly diatressed were it to be stolen. So therefore if somebody is doing or saying something that is not generally approved of, he's said to be taking the piss.

ReputationRep:
    It dates back to ancient times, when cow's urine was used in homeopathic medicines. It was extremely valuable, and would be highly diatressed were it to be stolen. So therefore if somebody is doing or saying something that is not generally approved of, he's said to be taking the piss.
    Or, more recently according to Borat, fermented horse urine from Kazakhstan.

ReputationRep:

*hands you a King of the Bull**** hat* :p:

Somehow I doubt cows' urine would have been exactly a rare substance. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hyper-little-mushroom-men)
    *hands you a King of the Bull**** hat* :p:

Somehow I doubt cows' urine would have been exactly a rare substance. :rolleyes:
    He is indeed correct, I can assure you.

Incidentally, the phrase "bull****" comes from mid-19th century America, from the time of Joseph Smith and the beginning of Mormonism. People would often, upon sight of a Mormon, throw the nearest filthy object in their direction - and in rural areas this was most commonly the excrement of a cow or bull. Nowadays, the Church of Latter Day Saints receives 4 tonnes of bull**** in the mail, having gone down from 16 tonnes as recently as 1986, as the meaning of the phrase rapidly degenerates into yet another term for "lies".

ReputationRep:
    Having waded through 41 pages of this thread, I, the holy gatekeeper of epistomologic pursuits, would like to produce clarification for those clearly missing the point.

Wit itself is an ineffable and inexplicable entity that exists but cannot be defined. Proponents of wit are born not made. Wit cannot be taught but must be honed. Above all, wit can only be understood- not explained.

Those who argue verboseness and grandiloquent syntax are not indicative of wit and demean members of this esteemed society by claiming that they hide behind big words are in fact merely proving their lack of intelligence and the lack of wit they themselves possess. Just because you never accquainted yourself with the finer subtlities of the English language does not make you holier than thou. In fact, the need to assert that members of this board are running amuck only reaffirms your own insecurity. And if you really were more intelligent in practicality and street smarts, you wouldn't be wasting your time arguing on this thread, now would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebonyphoenix)
    Having waded through 41 pages of this thread, I, the holy gatekeeper of epistomologic pursuits, would like to produce clarification for those clearly missing the point.

Wit itself is an ineffable and inexplicable entity that exists but cannot be defined. Proponents of wit are born not made. Wit cannot be taught but must be honed. Above all, wit can only be understood- not explained.

Those who argue verboseness and grandiloquent syntax are not indicative of wit and demean members of this esteemed society by claiming that they hide behind big words are in fact merely proving their lack of intelligence and the lack of wit they themselves possess. Just because you never accquainted yourself with the finer subtlities of the English language does not make you holier than thou. In fact, the need to assert that members of this board are running amuck only reaffirms your own insecurity. And if you really were more intelligent in practicality and street smarts, you wouldn't be wasting your time arguing on this thread, now would you?
    Well, it took forty-one pages; but someone finally got 'the gist'.

(Celebratory egg-nog?)

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.