Turn on thread page Beta

TSR 'Wit' Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yes, thank you, I like eggnog. Better than fine wine since alcohol could cause me to say very unwitty things indeed. And temporarily render my speech slurred. And when you are as loquacious as me that equals inauspicious times.

Prost. Cheers. Happy New Year.

ReputationRep:
    Twit Twoo. I am an owl.

That is all I have to say on the matter. Good day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Of Leon)
    Twit Twoo. I am an owl.

That is all I have to say on the matter. Good day.
    Gobstopper.

ReputationRep:
    Now, before I start, I would like to point out that this post is likely to be quite lengthy, and contain some large, complicated words. I would therefore be gladdened of anyone with a mental or reading age of less than 5 would kindly pass over this post, lest there be a torrent of replies asking to define words.

With that over, I would like to pull into question the arguments that many people have raised about the Spelling and Grammar side of this forum.
    Many have stated that the use of correct English has been an attempt to seem more intelligent. It is, however, the result of a process which all human beings should follow: "Think before you speak", or in this case, post. When I see the "Text Language" in forums, I get exceedingly irritated. There is a time, and place for this type of language, and that is in the text messages, where there is, infact a limited amount of room in the message and on the screen. However, unless there has been a revolutionary breakthrough in the field of Human-Interface Devices, we are all typing on a QWERTY keyboard, looking at a computer monitor. There is no shortage of room in the message (as this rant proves), there is so much room on the screen, that some of it is used to advertise, and both the message board and the recipient of the post will still be there in a few minutes time. So, why is it that people still persist in refusing to use such basic things as capitol letters at the start of a sentence? To return to the point in question, the use of correct grammar is not an attempt to show intelligence, but simply a by-product of having enough sense to work out that, if they type like a person with the intellectual capacity of a boiled potato, then that is exactly what they will appear.
    I most graciously offer my thanks to you for reading this post, and urge you to spread the word:

THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone teach me wit so I can join this society?

ReputationRep:
    ^^How very witty!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibbleJW)
    gladdened
    Is the point where I stopped reading

ReputationRep:
    profesh - i hope you you're being ironic with your thread opener - it sounds like you've swallowed a dictionary and its gone down the wrong way...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so sure that there is any right way to swallow a dictionary. Similarly, in biological terms, doesn't to swallow something necessitate its travel along the oesophagus, which is generally considered to be the 'right way'?

ReputationRep:
    Well technically to do something wrongly is to not do it at all...

ReputationRep:
    It is impossible for any person to willingly do something wrongly.

ReputationRep:
    Not if there is an established procedure to do something which you ought to be using, but you accomplish said task using a different procedure. Then you could be said to be doing the task "wrongly".

ReputationRep:
    halloooooooooooooooo

*echoes*

*RUNS*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chezua)
    halloooooooooooooooo

*echoes*

*RUNS*
    Have you not tended your application yet? We welcome enthusiasts and practitioners in equal measure (just not into the 'higher echelons').

ReputationRep:
    oh dear, i got caught out i suppose it's politer to say 'Good evening everyone, i'm looking forward for my stay here.'

not a 'enthusiast and practitioner' thank god

ReputationRep:
    *breathes life to this soc - no point joining one that isn't even active*

The Good... i can't believe it, i'm a member!

The Bad... but i'm not a witty person TBH as i haven't got a wide range of vocabs and besides, i'm too nice

And the Ugly...
    Chezua (e)
    e?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chezua)
    *breathes life to this soc - no point joining one that isn't even active*
    What many apparently misunderstand is that the society serves as but a touchstone: 'wit' may be said to reside here; it abides, ultimately, elsewhere. You might as well enter a 'War Room' and exclaim, with due petulance, "Where's the war?"

ReputationRep:
    still, i don't like the idea of joining a half-dead soc. it's like wearing a label saying that you're witty. after all, socs are there for people with the same *ahem* 'interest' who gather together.

so what's the 'e' for? (next to my name on the list)

ReputationRep:
    seriously, what the hell is going on here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conoraq)
    seriously, what the hell is going on here
    Erm, I can't quite work it out either :confused:

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.