TSR 'Wit' Society Watch

HCD
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Erradhadh)
As wit is a type of humour, is it not logical that, it too, is regained? Or must one necessarily possess all types of humour to have the sense of?
One can have a sense of humour and appreciate wit, yet not be capable of making one's own witty comments.
username138106
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Wit won't stop you being a lawyer, but wits will.
Erradhadh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
Wit won't stop you being a lawyer, but wits will.
Thankfully, you are not in danger of either.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Incidentally; has anyone seen my gauntlet? I was certain I'd left it lying around here, somewhere.
username138106
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh, that's wonderful. Are you a professional comedian? I doubt that otherwise, I could've come up with the six hours of my life that it would obviously have taken to come up with a reply reading, "no, you're stupid".

Let's play "wit on Erradhadh's level"

Your mum's not in danger of either.

Don't **** with founding members.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Irish fellow in a pub, his mobile phone goes off, he picks up and says 'How d'ya know I was here?'
Erradhadh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh, that's wonderful. Are you a professional comedian? I doubt that otherwise, I could've come up with the six hours of my life that it would obviously have taken to come up with a reply reading, "no, you're stupid".

Or you could had the ability to come up with a response not merely mimicking a style. Unfortunately, that both takes wits and wit. You, O Glorious Founding Member, seem to be a direct example why prescribed hierarchical roles like the aristocracy sorely fail.
Erradhadh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Incidentally; has anyone seen my gauntlet? I was certain I'd left it lying around here, somewhere.
I believe I've borrowed it for the time being.
username138106
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Or you could had the ability to come up with a response not merely mimicking a style. Unfortunately, that both takes wits and wit. You, O Glorious Founding Member, seem to be a direct example why prescribed hierarchical roles like the aristocracy sorely fail.
Simply mimicking a style? You mean "parody"? O, if only I could come up with something other than a basic comedic form! "If only you had the ability to come up with a genuinely witty response, rather than ones that merely happened to make intelligent and apt observations on a particular subject! Oh, wait..."

Excuse me for a second, whilst I turn to the audience.

"Wit" in Erradhadh's style: a round up

So, I know what you've been thinking - I live to read the posts of TSR's Model UN Model International Court of Model Justice Rep - but I just can't seem to find the time. I wish someone could find the time to sum them up for me!

2 + 2 = 5: Something.
E: That "something" wasn't very funny.
2 + 2 = 5: Whereas you've shown yourself to be a pro-in-waiting, with that.
E: That wasn't very funny either.

After this, E leaves the room, to buy a copy of Private Eye, which he'll pretend to laugh at, 'cos it do politics an' that. The following transcript is untranslated, unlike the above; it may at times prove hard to follow.

Small boy: What're you looking at?
E: That wasn't very funny.
Small boy: You taking the piss?
E: I do believe, do you not, that in order to know one, it does in fact take one.
Small boy: What're you on about?
E: But I thus counter: I am aware of your own identity, but what am I?
Small boy: You're an idiot who simply clothes playground humour in unnecessary verbiage.
E: I thus enquire: are you aware as to the identity of your father?
Small boy: Yes, I-
E: But alas, you address him presently!
Small boy: You're doing it again-
E: YOUR MOTHER, with whom I had intercourse, is doing it again!
Small boy: **** off. (Exeunt boy.)
E: EXCELSIOR! I AM CHAMPION OF WIT! WILDE, QUAKE BEFORE ME!

E then enters and leaves a nearby shop, when he is then stabbed by several small boys with kitchen knives, the entirety of the UK standup circuit, and his own mother, who reckons she's doing this around twenty years too late.
Erradhadh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Now, now, apt observations made. I will, as in any fine democratic institution, turn to the audience and make my rebuttal. It is my sincere hope that the rebuttal I present is clear in its logic and intentions.

First, to analyze the accusations made:
1. "If only you had the ability to come up with a genuinely witty response, rather than ones that merely happened to make intelligent and apt observations on a particular subject! Oh, wait..." I, Erradhadh, make few or none of these ‘intelligent and apt observations’.
2. [I’m] an idiot who simply clothes playground humour in unnecessary verbiage.
3. I cannot create anything of my own wit, and merely point at your downfalls of your responses.
4. I’m a man.

The evidence:

2 + 2 = 5: Wit won't stop you being a lawyer, but wits will.
E: Thankfully, you are not in danger of either.
2 + 2 = 5: Oh, that's wonderful. Are you a professional comedian? I doubt that otherwise, I could've come up with the six hours of my life that it would obviously have taken to come up with a reply reading, "no, you're stupid".

E: Or you could had the ability to come up with a response not merely mimicking a style. Unfortunately, that both takes wits and wit. You, O Glorious Founding Member, seem to be a direct example why prescribed hierarchical roles like the aristocracy sorely fail.
2 + 2 = 5: [Your previous post is here.]

Rebuttal of accusations:

Accusation 1: My engagement in a verbal battle was provocation, but my response to your response to that (Or you could…sorely fail.) is an observation at an attempt to subjugation (Don't **** with founding members.) by observing the link between that and aristocratic reign.

Accusation 2: As my only real stab at playground humour is my provocation, and even then, not following any prescribed playground insult formula (i.e. ‘No, your mum doesn’t have wits and wit!’, ‘You’re dumb!’, etc.), I dismiss this as over-generalization.

Accusation 3: Well, your first response (Oh, that’s wonderful…) simply points out that my previous post wasn’t witty in the least. I, then, point out the fact that even if my previous post was elementary, you’re simply mimicked the style. Then, I go on to make an observation of your ‘threat’. After which, you create an exposé of my downfalls. Thus, I see this accusation as hypocritical, and thus unfair.

Accusation 4: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=137528
username138106
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I can't be arsed reading that. You're fit enough. Tenner for a blowie?
Erradhadh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I can't be arsed reading that. You're fit enough. Tenner for a blowie?
Well, thank you for the 'you're fit enough' bit - I will assume that to be a compliment, and will not argue the statement.

Pounds not useful in the US I'm afraid, and for gaining money on currency the Euro's where it's at.
username138106
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'll let you stay in Oxford, most Americans'll pay £3000/week in-college. You can owe me the balance.
Erradhadh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'll let you stay in Oxford, most Americans'll pay £3000/week in-college. You can owe me the balance.
Accommodation costs are the same for all. It's just the tuition. If you can make me a 'home student', I'll think about giving you a bonus...

Or better yet, make them accept me next year so the problem's actually relevant.
username138106
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nah, I mean the tourists, they'll pay anything for anything...
Erradhadh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nah, I mean the tourists, they'll pay anything for anything...
I hope to be more than a tourist come 2009 though.
HCD
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Pounds not useful in the US I'm afraid, and for gaining money on currency the Euro's where it's at.
The pound bends over and spanks the dollar right now, as it has been doing the past few months. Not as much now as in recent months, admittedly; but a tenner is still better than $10. $10.08 better. Admittedly, you'd never get the "proper" exchange rate from any bank, though.

I hope to be more than a tourist come 2009 though.
That requires intellect; sorry. ;console;
Stealth-Mode
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
why haven't I be accepted you arse?! You? Yes, bloody you!
Erradhadh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by HCD)
The pound bends over and spanks the dollar right now, as it has been doing the past few months. Not as much now as in recent months, admittedly; but a tenner is still better than $10. $10.08 better. Admittedly, you'd never get the "proper" exchange rate from any bank, though.
Sure, the exchange rate is 2,09$ per pound, and only 1,57€ per dollar. Sure, objectively the pound is raping the dollar anally - but is has been for quite a bit now. The Euro, for investment, is better, since the percentage increase of EUR/USD is greater the investment lends greater short term gains.
(Original post by HCD)
That requires intellect; sorry. ;console;
No comment. I wouldn't want to resort to stating truths about you that are blatantly obvious.
HCD
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sure, the exchange rate is 2,09$ per pound, and only 1,57€ per dollar. Sure, objectively the pound is raping the dollar anally - but is has been for quite a bit now. The Euro, for investment, is better, since the percentage increase of EUR/USD is greater the investment lends greater short term gains.
You misunderstand. I was but refuting your point that pounds are no good to you, not commenting upon the international economy. Thus, a "tenner for a blowie" would be of financial benefit to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.41%
They might tell the bully (17)
10.9%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
17.95%
It might lead to more bullying (58)
37.18%
There's nothing they could do (43)
27.56%

Watched Threads