bored student need your advice Watch

This discussion is closed.
slimlad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
hey evry1

i came to U.K 2 years ago. at that time i was excited about studing abroad, having friends from diffrent backgrounds, enjoying uni life...etc. but it seems like non of that is happening. most of my friends are the same nationality of mine "like if am doing my degree at my home country", i cant change my daily routine although i got enough spare time. i ended up coming back from uni every day and spend the rest of the day watching t.v and sailing the internet . beside i dont have a definded hobby or something like it.

any one with ideas how to change that? i feel like a dead man
by the way im from a middle east country in case anyone woners.
Create
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Take up a new hobby! Stand for an election or something.
Join a society - excellent way to meet a whole new host of people who will in turn introduce you to all their friends = more stuff to do!
What course are you doing? You in halls/flats?
slimlad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Create)
Take up a new hobby! Stand for an election or something.
Join a society - excellent way to meet a whole new host of people who will in turn introduce you to all their friends = more stuff to do!
What course are you doing? You in halls/flats?
accounting, flat
Angel_Cake
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
At my uni internatinal students tend to keep to their own as well. They give the impression they prefer it that way so I suppose maybe people think you'll be the same. Oh and join a society - seriously, it's the best thing you can do to make friends and all my best friends from uni I've met through societies.
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
go to the pub and talk to random people.
Start up a conversation in a lecture/seminar with other students about the work you are doing. Even if it means pretending you don't understand a certain bit. (I have done this recently, it works.)
slimlad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Luize)
go to the pub and talk to random people.
Start up a conversation in a lecture/seminar with other students about the work you are doing. Even if it means pretending you don't understand a certain bit. (I have done this recently, it works.)
i would try to pretend that i dont understand, it needs some practice tho
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you find you are on the opposite scale, find someone that seems to understand it as well. Suggest that you think this stuff is too easy...see if they are doing extra reading, ask what books etc.
Mad_Monkey59
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
life is what you make it... join a gym, join a dance class, take up muay thai... meet people.

Being a student is only good in the respect it gives you an ideal situation to meet people, you still have to find your balls and talk to them.
slimlad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
you still have to find your balls and talk to them.

:confused:
Mad_Monkey59
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by slimlad)
:confused:

it means you have to be brave and talk to people instead of finding excuses not to.
slimlad
Rep:
?
thanx for those who replied...more replies will be great
RayOfHope
Report 14 years ago
Is there a reason why you only made friends the same nationality as you, i.e. ideology etc.?? If not ideology I don't see a reason why cannot simply join different conversations and make at least one friend, then the net will widen. As far as hobbies etc. are concecrned, well join the club of those who don't have any normal ones!! My latest one is dreaming about when I will enter Investment Banking or investment Managment sometime in the future (hopefully). lol!
Oh, and stop watching TV so much. could be one of the reasons your social net has not widened.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think its the same everywhere...everyone groups together in their own little brigades
amo1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
i think its the same everywhere...everyone groups together in their own little brigades
i find that most people have there friends but then are good friends with cirtain people from other groups so can float around
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (114)
66.28%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.35%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.37%

Watched Threads