The Student Room Group
Damn - i thought that Vodafone was a popular network at university.. seems as thought i got that completely wrong!
Reply 2
I'll probably be getting an o2 contract after i end my 3G one. I've still got my 5 free texts a day from orange as well! Most students wouldn't go with vodafone because they are pretty expensive to be honest, well i would've though that. But also most students tend to text a lot more and o2 and orange give better text deals than other networks.
Reply 3
most people here are on o2. a few were on orange, but they've nearly all changed because the signal here is absalutely dreadful.

i got a lovely online contract from o2, £20 for 1000 free minutes (offpeak to o2 and landlines) and 500 texts (to any network)

lou xxx
Just seen the O2 website, i never realised that there tariffs were soo GOOD! Great prices!! Will definately be a favourite for me..

:thrasher:
Reply 5
usman_psycho
Just seen the O2 website, i never realised that there tariffs were soo GOOD! Great prices!! Will definately be a favourite for me..

:thrasher:

most people don't... their online deals are different to the (more expensive) ones in their shops

lou xxx
Reply 6
I've tried all the (PAYG) networks and this is how I would rate them from best to worst.

1. Virgin Mobile
2. Orange
3. Tesco Mobile
4. Vodafone
5. T-Mobile
6. o2
7. 3
I've got a student deal with Orange:

300 Xnet anytime mins
1000 texts

30 squid per month.
Reply 8
I'm with 3 they were crap my friend had a contract with them last year and her phone and reception were rubbish.
I'm with them and have the talk and text 600 package through carphone warehouse. Have very strange nokia phone but the signal isn't too bad and its normally £30 a month for the contract but I've got it with cash back at 6 and 12 months so for the year it actually works out at £4.99 a month. Not bad!

500 anytime mins a month and 100 texts.

3s pay as you go tariff is actually cheaper than virgin now if you are a frequent user I just came off virgin because of the expense.
I've had an orange pay as you go too which was great but then my phone died and they wouldn't give me the same deal cos I had this thing with tons of free texts a month. Their customer services are rubbish though.
Used to have a vodafone contract - it was expensive their signal was rubbish and it was a pain to cancel will never use them again. And as for telecom plus who I once had the misfortune to have a contract with I will never use them again in a million years. It took months to sort out the contract cancellation as they kept taking money out of my account after the contract had finished and been cancelled, I cancelled the direct debit at the bank and then they tried to penalise me for cancelling it and then they sent me debt collectors letters, in the end I had to get my dad to phone up for me. They made excuses not to speak to him because of data collection and its due to them that I have only just gone back to contract after 3 yrs of hassle free pay as you go. Hope won't have all that hassle this time.
On an old orange tarrif, 50 mins a day (off peak to orange or landlines) for 50p a day (so £15 a month in total) and best of all, 0845 numbers etc. included in this and 0800 numbers. Use a dual SIM set up with my orange PAYG with free best friend.
Reply 10
i'm with vodafone basically as all my familys phones are on vodafone so we just get one monthly bill (fortunately my folks pay for my phone). Was ~£25 a month last year for 100 xnet minutes and 50 texts, threatened to cancel this year and got that knocked down to £15 a month :smile:
ilovemonkeys
I've got a student deal with Orange:

300 Xnet anytime mins
1000 texts

30 squid per month.

How did you manage to get that??

Never knew you could get student discounts for contracts.. Do let me know!
Reply 12
viviki
3s pay as you go tariff is actually cheaper than virgin now if you are a frequent user I just came off virgin because of the expense.
I've had an orange pay as you go too which was great but then my phone died and they wouldn't give me the same deal cos I had this thing with tons of free texts a month. Their customer services are rubbish though.

Last time I phoned them up I got told to "have a lovely weekend" !!! Never had that before, though I've never found them to be completely useless.

I'm on orange PAYG - have been for ages. I added this thing on my phone yonks ago tyo get 5 free texts a day for ever - I recently upgraded my phone but they transferred all my details, including my number, remaining credit and the five free texts onto my new sim card. And as I bought the phone from the orange website I got 3p texts for 6 months. So as I text more often than phone it works out cheapest for me. Orange have some good student deals on both pay as you go and contract, loads of extras like 1000 texts of cut price calls to a nominated landline.

Oh and lots of people here are on O2, with their online deals. Though it doesn't make a difference to me much, I don't tend to phone my uni friends for long periods of time. Texting all the way!
Reply 13
i only went on contract cos the bf was costing me too much :rolleyes:

i hardly ever ring my uni friends (or even my ones from back home), i text people here and use msn/email for people back home

lou xxx
usman_psycho
How did you manage to get that??

Never knew you could get student discounts for contracts.. Do let me know!

No probs...

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/students
Reply 15
Chicken
Last time I phoned them up I got told to "have a lovely weekend" !!! Never had that before, though I've never found them to be completely useless.

I'm on orange PAYG - have been for ages. I added this thing on my phone yonks ago tyo get 5 free texts a day for ever - I recently upgraded my phone but they transferred all my details, including my number, remaining credit and the five free texts onto my new sim card. And as I bought the phone from the orange website I got 3p texts for 6 months. So as I text more often than phone it works out cheapest for me. Orange have some good student deals on both pay as you go and contract, loads of extras like 1000 texts of cut price calls to a nominated landline.

Oh and lots of people here are on O2, with their online deals. Though it doesn't make a difference to me much, I don't tend to phone my uni friends for long periods of time. Texting all the way!

Orange customer services suck. I was having no texts so I went into the orange shop and got given the helpline number. It cost me £30 (nat call rate number) for them to fix it and they weren't polite.

I had the same pay as you go deal but when my phone died they told me it wasn't possible to transfer my number or deal over to a new phone because it would void the phone warranty and they aren't allowed so I said sod off and got a virgin pay as you go. Obviously if they let you do it they are lying bastards.
Reply 16
I've never had a problem with orange CS, i managed to block my sim within minutes of putting of putting it in and i rang them up and they sorted me out straight away! lol. Also on quite a few occasions when i've had to ring them up they were helpful, on the other hand 3G CS was shoddy!
Reply 17
viviki
Orange customer services suck. I was having no texts so I went into the orange shop and got given the helpline number. It cost me £30 (nat call rate number) for them to fix it and they weren't polite.

I had the same pay as you go deal but when my phone died they told me it wasn't possible to transfer my number or deal over to a new phone because it would void the phone warranty and they aren't allowed so I said sod off and got a virgin pay as you go. Obviously if they let you do it they are lying bastards.

They've obviously updated it - this is the 3rd orange PAYG phone i've had and the last time I upgraded the phone, they said they could transfer credit over, but not my number or 5 texts thing. So i didn't bother. But that was quite a few years ago so I think they must have realised that they were being stupid, so changed it.
I have only been on Orange for a couple of months, after switching from o2. So far, I have found Orange Customer Services to be excellent. I have called 3 times within a couple of months and Cust Services have been able to fulfil my request efficiently on every occasion.

Latest

Trending

Trending