The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im doing two comparisons of poems:

2 war poems("Does it Matter?" and "Dulce et decorum est")
and 2 other poems ("Porphyria's lover" and "My Last Duchess")

There are two things you must remember when comparing poems.....
Reply 2
Why? and How?, and sometimes, but rarely When?

hope this helps
Reply 3
Powerline
Im doing two comparisons of poems:

2 war poems("Does it Matter?" and "Dulce et decorum est")
and 2 other poems ("Porphyria's lover" and "My Last Duchess")

There are two things you must remember when comparing poems.....

I love porphyria's lover its one of the few poems that's ever really stuck in my head its so freaky. I've read my last duchess but can't remember what it was about.
Reply 4
anyone else doing 'strange meeting'?
Reply 5
anyone doin eng lit A2 with AQA?
Reply 6
kokopops

i think i've said this before but i've got MA English so i don't mind helping people with stuff if i can
Reply 7
kokopops

Yes i am. Do you need some help? Are you studing Heaney and Clarke, or Duffy and Amentage?
Reply 8
Tinykates

I have to read that for my synoptic unit....how dull is it?!
Reply 9
Anyone doing the Way synoptic unit with aqa? Its so hard an dI have no idea what kinda thing I'm meant to be doing!
can't remember what exam board im on for english lit, however we don't do any coursework (which sucks). We're doin: Duffy; Othello; P&P compared with Emma; Captain Corelli's Mandolin and finally, unseen poetry. How blah!
Reply 11
I'm with AQA too. Finished modules Blake and Duchess of Malfi. Currently doing war lit and coursework. My coursework is on The Moonstone and Devices and Desires, comparing how writers adapt/alter the detective form, and the first draft in tomorrow (arrrgh!)
Reply 12
hohum
Anyone doing the Way synoptic unit with aqa? Its so hard an dI have no idea what kinda thing I'm meant to be doing!

we've been recommended the 'Regeneration trilogy' by i-can't remember-who and Birdsong by sebastian faulks for wider reading.... hmm..... ps. fancy meeting you here!:wink:
Reply 13
semi
we've been recommended the 'Regeneration trilogy' by i-can't remember-who

By Pat Barker :smile:
Reply 14
grey faerie
By Pat Barker :smile:

thank you! hmm, goes to show, i should pay more attention in class...:smile:
Reply 15
i'm doing the war synoptic too - for anyone who's interested, i would definitely recommend birdsong, it's a great read, as is strange meeting by susan hill. i'm a little bit stressed about the prospect of a 3hr exam at the end of it all tho!
Reply 16
I'm doing AQA English Lit - including the synoptic unit on lit from WW1. Definitely not looking forward to the exam tho :wink:

Tinykates

I really enjoyed that book :smile: (am re-reading it at the moment actually) Thought the relationship between the two main characters was really touching.

Birdsong & the Regeneration trilogy are fab. I'd also recommend 'A Farewell To Arms' by Ernest Hemingway and 'All Quiet On The Western Front' by Erich Maria Remarque.

Am also reading loads & loads of poetry :smile:
Reply 17
for my coursework its a comparison essay between the handmaids tale and 1984. concentrating on dystopia

should be good, havent started it yet
Reply 18
fionah
I've just sat down to [finally] do some half term work for English. I'm doing my first draft of the comparative literature coursework (on welsh board). Anyone else doing it or is it just me?

I'm doing the Remains of the Day & A Room with a View and my question is something to do with the oppressiveness of edwardian values!

Hey, I'm on the welsh board too (which is kind of weird) and have to do a comparative essay.. but mines on The Handmaid's Tale and 1984.
Reply 19
I'm doing AQA as well...just finished Blake and starting Othello. On CW, our teacher suggested we do WWI to help us with the synoptic paper....which really helped actually. I did a comparison of Wilfred Owen's poetry and 'Strange Meeting.' Other ppl did 'Regeneration' and 'Birdsong.' Also, recommened reading are Siegfried Sassoon's biographies...really interesting particuarly the 'Memoires of An Infantry Officer.'

JoKing.

p.s. Anyone doing Blake...favourite poem?

Latest

Trending

Trending