This discussion is closed.
serious narb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yeah we are doing war poetry at the moment which is ok, the woman romantic poets stuff is **** though.

our coursework was on 'Color Purple' and 'Oranges are not the only fruit' which are both dirty lesbian feminist books
claire1985
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by on_a_plain_11)
can't remember what exam board im on for english lit, however we don't do any coursework (which sucks). We're doin: Duffy; Othello; P&P compared with Emma; Captain Corelli's Mandolin and finally, unseen poetry. How blah!
Sounds like what i'm doing, i am on Edexcel
emom100
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hohum)
Anyone doing the Way synoptic unit with aqa? Its so hard an dI have no idea what kinda thing I'm meant to be doing!
i did it last year. All youy have got to do is read widely. One reccomendation i would make is to get yourself a littel book on war poetry adn elarn quotes or even some of the poems off by heart. You want to be aware of these such as women writers, glory of war etc. Also look for the perspective of the writer eg what age they are, what sex, what nationality, post ww1, during the event or years before. ONce i got my head around this paper i really enjoyed it. The hardest part is the unseen comparison for the first question. At least when you are bringin in your own knowledge you have always got something to say.
emom100
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
for my coursework its a comparison essay between the handmaids tale and 1984. concentrating on dystopia

should be good, havent started it yet
mine was very similar except i did the Handmaids tale and Farenheit 451
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
i did it last year. All youy have got to do is read widely. One reccomendation i would make is to get yourself a littel book on war poetry adn elarn quotes or even some of the poems off by heart. You want to be aware of these such as women writers, glory of war etc. Also look for the perspective of the writer eg what age they are, what sex, what nationality, post ww1, during the event or years before. ONce i got my head around this paper i really enjoyed it. The hardest part is the unseen comparison for the first question. At least when you are bringin in your own knowledge you have always got something to say.
yeah i'm in the same situation as HoHum i have no idea what the fudge is going on
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
mine was very similar except i did the Handmaids tale and Farenheit 451

the Handmaids tale is 1 **** book, i just done my retake on that exam(As) and i think i done better than last time
pruts
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Powerline)
Im doing two comparisons of poems:

2 war poems("Does it Matter?" and "Dulce et decorum est")
and 2 other poems ("Porphyria's lover" and "My Last Duchess")

There are two things you must remember when comparing poems.....

I done those for GCSE CWK. I dunno abt A2.
psychoSHEEP
Report 16 years ago
i got 2 compare 'journeys end' with 'strange meeting' for my coursework,but i aint read strange meetin,wot the hell it about??
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
our coursework was a comparison essay on the dull ' Color Purple' and 'oranges are not the only fruit'

only got exams left now on Othello, War Poety and war literature, and also Female Romanctic poets
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
just realised i replied again to this thread i posted in a while ago, damn people confusing me by upping old threads....
boxersarecool
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm also doin AQA, studying Edward 2 and Tennyson for exam in June. Also got synoptic exam then, we are studyin war past exam paper. I am a little confused, surely it won't be on war in June as i thought topic changes every year? Why is everybody reading war stuff?
I have also read Birdsong was great.
Cheers for any help
Ali
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sillynarb2)
the Handmaids tale is 1 **** book, i just done my retake on that exam(As)
nah, you're wrong

very good book
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
nah, you're wrong

very good book
hated it, was just awful

couldn't get into it at all
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sillynarb2)
hated it, was just awful

couldn't get into it at all
its a difficult narrative, bloody confusing at first, especially as your thrown right into the thick of it, then you have to pick up the remanants of the past, but it is a rewarding and great book. couldnt put it down when i got into it

but i think 1984 is prob better
Meerkat
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Powerline)
Im doing two comparisons of poems:

2 war poems("Does it Matter?" and "Dulce et decorum est")
and 2 other poems ("Porphyria's lover" and "My Last Duchess")

There are two things you must remember when comparing poems.....
I'm doing Dulce et Decorum est in school too. It's quite interesting.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (316)
52.49%
No (286)
47.51%

Watched Threads