This discussion is closed.
JackieS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Can anyone tell me what the point of General Studies is when no universities consider it towards your points total? Is it just a way of schools trying to improve their results for the league tables?

I know my school didn't do it - we had the lessons but no the exam, because they just thought it was ponitless as nowhere took it seriously
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Some Unis do accept it.
JackieS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Luize)
Some Unis do accept it.
ok.........well the majority don't - so I still fail to kinda see the point of it
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My York offer accepts General Studies as one of my non maths A-Levels
Hence provided i get a B or above in Gen St it's of some use, if i fail to achieve my firm offer.

The good thing about general studies is that it can indicate some intelligence, rather than how much someone has been coached. I know someone who got a B in AS maths yet an E in general studies.
JackieS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gaz031)
Hence provided i get a B or above in Gen St it's of some use, if i fail to achieve my firm offer.

The good thing about general studies is that it can indicate some intelligence, rather than how much someone has been coached. I know someone who got a B in AS maths yet an E in general studies.
But then if it is supposed to indicate some intelligence then why don't all uni's consider it?
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JackieS)
Is it just a way of schools trying to improve their results for the league tables?
Probably, and I also remember hearing somewhere that the school/college gets money for each student they enter for it.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Probably, and I also remember hearing somewhere that the school/college gets money for each student they enter for it.
Yup. That's the only reason most schools do it. That's what my teacher said when I questioned him about it. It's the same for critical thinking
RachelBabyfrog
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What you actually do in GS is fairly pointless, but the grade you get out of it can come in handy. Quite a few people in my year are using it as their third A Level for whatever reason.

We had the most pointless GS lesson ever a couple of weeks ago. Our teacher turned up twenty minutes late with a watering can. He turned it upside down and put it on the floor, told us it was a prehistoric green anteater and told us to ask about it, saying that the lesson was about our skills of perception. We then spent the remainder of the lesson asking questions about the anteater and learning about where it did its shopping (Sainsbury's, if I remember correctly)... when we asked what exactly the point of the lesson was, he said there wasn't one. He had forgotten to plan a lesson, been in the middle of watering his plants when he remembered he was supposed to be teaching us, and wanted to see how long he could keep us talking about a prehistoric green anteater that was plainly an upside-down watering can.
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
our school always claimed you could use it as a bargaining tool if you missed your offer, even if the university didn't accept it - "she's got an A in general studies though...". don't know how true that is but i can see the reasoning. it was completely pointless thuogh. if it was actually on anything relevant it would be more useful.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I can kind of see the point in A2 GS, because some unis do take it, but we're only doing AS. Now what is the point in that?
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A lot of uni's do accept it.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by RachelBabyfrog)
What you actually do in GS is fairly pointless, but the grade you get out of it can come in handy. Quite a few people in my year are using it as their third A Level for whatever reason.

We had the most pointless GS lesson ever a couple of weeks ago. Our teacher turned up twenty minutes late with a watering can. He turned it upside down and put it on the floor, told us it was a prehistoric green anteater and told us to ask about it, saying that the lesson was about our skills of perception. We then spent the remainder of the lesson asking questions about the anteater and learning about where it did its shopping (Sainsbury's, if I remember correctly)... when we asked what exactly the point of the lesson was, he said there wasn't one. He had forgotten to plan a lesson, been in the middle of watering his plants when he remembered he was supposed to be teaching us, and wanted to see how long he could keep us talking about a prehistoric green anteater that was plainly an upside-down watering can.
Thats hilarious!!!
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my offer included it and so did my twin brothers (totally different unis)

my best friend missed her offer for pharmacy (she needed BBB, got CCC) but she had an A in GS and they accepted her

lou xxx
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Its to make 6th forms points per student total higher
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In my school, general studies was one of the best subject inspection along with other A-levels according to our Ofsted report.
Alewhey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Funny... I would draw the exact opposite conclusion from that info. Getting a B in AS maths is far harder than any GS exam. Probably the person was just taking the piss.
I got an A in maths (and further maths) but a D in GS. In GS I got the highest mark in the year in AS and the lowest in the year in A2, lol. In one of my exams I got 2/120.
GS is a joke...
Having said that, I got an offer from Manchester saying they accept GS as an A-level. *shrug*
Oh and also what kellywood said, the schools take it just for the money.
White_redrose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JackieS)
Can anyone tell me what the point of General Studies is when no universities consider it towards your points total? Is it just a way of schools trying to improve their results for the league tables?

I know my school didn't do it - we had the lessons but no the exam, because they just thought it was ponitless as nowhere took it seriously
Lol...I know what you mean! Although some universities accept it the majority don't - eg on nearly all of my offer letters are the words 'excluding general studies.' Having said that though, I don't want to run it down - it is useful, I know loads of people who are using it towards uni offers and I would if I could. & yeah, agree with what other people have said about schools improving LT results!
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Alewhey)
Funny... I would draw the exact opposite conclusion from that info. Getting a B in AS maths is far harder than any GS exam. Probably the person was just taking the piss.
Maths is arguably harder and requires more effort but you can practice maths a lot whereas you can't really practice writing an essay on the subject you got in the exam.

In one of my exams I got 2/120.
That sounds like you either messed around or your marker had something against your style of writing. Didn't you query it?

If you did well in Math/FM and poorly in General studies why does that suggest Maths is harder? (though obviously it is)
Alewhey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That sounds like you either messed around or your marker had something against your style of writing. Didn't you query it?

If you did well in Math/FM and poorly in General studies why does that suggest Maths is harder? (though obviously it is)
Hah no I was trying to get the lowest mark possible, while still actually writing for the whole time. I drew a lot of doodles and wrote like a 5-year-old... it was fun I don't know anyone who took GS seriously except the teachers when reporting the "stunning results of our top students". They mentioned someone with 6 A's and I had to stop myself from laughing when I realised they were including GS in that.
Would you guess I wasn't a great fan of that "subject"?

And Maths... is a lot harder. You actually have to do some work for it!
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Alewhey)
Hah no I was trying to get the lowest mark possible, while still actually writing for the whole time. I drew a lot of doodles and wrote like a 5-year-old... it was fun
Fun but alas terribly immature. Maybe an A in general studies is worthless to you but surely it's less worthless than an hour spent doodling after the school paid for you to sit the exam ? :rolleyes:

I don't know anyone who took GS seriously except the teachers when reporting the "stunning results of our top students". They mentioned someone with 6 A's and I had to stop myself from laughing when I realised they were including GS in that.
There's nothing wrong with 5 As and general studies.
I think teachers at my centre would be pleased with someone with an A only in general studies, but we've just exited special measures (which is a total farce, nothing has changed here).

Would you guess I wasn't a great fan of that "subject"?

And Maths... is a lot harder. You actually have to do some work for it!
True enough. It's much more interesting too.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.82%
No I haven't decided yet (41)
20.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.57%

Watched Threads