Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClosetGinger)
    Completely valid point. These people who you categorise as "chavs" clearly not very nice people and anti-social etc. Yes but why are just generally tacky people described as "chavs" too? that way when people say such articulate lines as "chav scum must die" they are refering not only to those who exhibit signs of anti-social behaviour but also those who make fashion mistakes. I just don't really understand why this is so. But then where I live no-one uses the word "chav" so maybe i've completely missed the boat on this one.
    The two go together. There is no denying it. Do you think the the Burberry wearing, far-too-small-bike-riding, chain-smoking, cider-drinking brigade are just pleasant people who have made one or two fashion faux-pas? I doubt it.

For me, a Chav is someone who shows anti-social behaviour. Simple as that. That includes everything from shouting "**** off" across the town to assaulting a granny whilst in a cider induced haze.

Nothing to do with wealth, class or any other such measure. If you're an anti-social runt (as Chavs are) you do not deserve to get respect for your actions.

ReputationRep:
    Why do they drink cider?! :confused: I never knew that! I always imagine old grizzly farmers as being the kind of people who drink cider

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    Why do they drink cider?! :confused: I never knew that! I always imagine old grizzly farmers as being the kind of people who drink cider
    Because it's cheap and comes in large 2 litre bottles. :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh and probably on buy-one-get-one-free in Iceland.

ReputationRep:
    etymologically, the word does actually have a background of being used to label the lower classes.

i believe that the word chav comes from the term "cheltenham averages", which would be used by residents of the rather nice town of cheltenham to describe people who are ultimately lower class. it should be noted, however, (as i think someone's already done in this topic) that people can only go by what they see and the general displays which might be assumed typical of lower class people are things like mass gatherings outside iceland with cider and the rest. obviously lower class and appropriateness of behaviour in public really do have no link, but there is definately a group of people in society who are incredibly antisocial and disruptive. a certain group of these people would be idientified as chavs because, well... the boys gel their fringe downwards in carefully shaped individual lines whereas the girls might have it all gelled back. they also opt for sportswear and sometimes have one leg of their tracksuit bottoms rolled up. the girls wear earings which could easily be mistaken for B&Q curtain rings, ranging from 2-10 metres in diameter etc. basically, they dress differently which is fair enough, but they also can behave like complete hooligans which people don't like to talk about because it's seen as politically incorrect to say how somebody's got no manners and has a detrimental effect on society.

ReputationRep:
    The chavs that have been described here are *****. I'd hate them jsut as much if they had 4 grand in their back pocket and were being driven around in a streched limo by their butler drinking champange. And i'm sorry but burbery is the most disgusting thing i have ever seen, therefore they do deserve a label such as that!

ReputationRep:
    whats a chav for goodness sake...

ReputationRep:
    The problem with chavs it that, although i hate to generalise any group of people, that being a chav equates to being a anti-social idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    Do you think the the Burberry wearing, far-too-small-bike-riding, chain-smoking, cider-drinking brigade are just pleasant people who have made one or two fashion faux-pas? I doubt it.
    Yeah, what is it with them bikes? They look far too uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    It's the trousers that are tucked into the socks that really confuses me

ReputationRep:
    apparently when they roll up their trousers or do anything like that around their ankles, it means they're selling cocaine. but so many of them do it that it must have now lead on to being a fashion statement (i don't know how though).

ReputationRep:
    Don't like the word...or "cheers" ....for reasons I can't explain. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    the kevs are really annoyings little critters here in birmingham...
    they travel in packs and always threaten to 'beat you up'...
    an overobsession with football and tracksuit bottoms hoy!
    just squish 'em...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClosetGinger)
    clearly no-one gets the point..I'll shut up now
    I GET YOUR POINT!!!! I GET YOUR POINT!!!!

I think you're bang on with this thread. I'm getting incredibly p*ssed off with the whole chav thing. Most of these people who we automatically dismiss as 'chavs' and automatically part of some sub culture of unnecessary verbal and physical abuse and loutish behaviour, are actually perfectly decent people.

Furthermore, the snobby gits who obsess about this chav thing ALWAYS distinguish between chavs and non-chavs is through the way they dress. The irony being that the people who usually do this are (regarding the people I know) those who were bullied when they were school for dressing differently.

People should just grow up and stop trying to label people.

ReputationRep:
    'Chav'* is just the latest epithet for what has always been generally known as a 'hooligan'. A neighbour of mine has told me many an interesting story about the beeeeg fights he used to have with Oswald Mosley's Blackshirts before he enlisted in the army in 1939.

*I think the word is derived from the Romany word for 'child'.

Was it George Orwell who said that the UK was the most 'class-ridden nation on the face of the Earth'?

Nothing's changed there then.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to use scallies. All god words though.

I love being a scal!

ReputationRep:
    Chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav chav

Chav-baiting is fun (sorry!)

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am sick of the word, it's sounds so horrib;e, like the person saying it is, in fact, one themselves. I never liked it, it only got popular because Chris Moyles adopted it (work that one out, stupid fat ******.) i hate it and now everyone constantly says it! there's even a prog on called chavs on sky one soon and a book!

argh!

ReputationRep:
    Chav = C*nts that Hang Around Video-shops

Neds = Never Ending D*ck Suckers

The meanings of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Furthermore, the snobby gits who obsess about this chav thing ALWAYS distinguish between chavs and non-chavs is through the way they dress. The irony being that the people who usually do this are (regarding the people I know) those who were bullied when they were school for dressing differently.

People should just grow up and stop trying to label people.
    It's not always that way.. my friend's brother dresses completely like a kev and he's the sweetest, nicest boy, hense why I've never called him a kev/chav/whatever despite the fact that he looks just like one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trouttrout)
    I prefer to use scallies. All god words though.

I love being a scal!
    Like um...Barry Grant from Brookside (R.I.P.) Oh, yeah, and our linz.

Do you get to blackmail people and stuff? And own your own row of shops?

Cool! Where do I sign up?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.