Turn on thread page Beta

Now this is something that confuses me. An independant school, as distinguished from a state
    school/comprehensive, is referred to as both a "public school" and a "private school". However,
    aren't these terms techically opposite? That a school that is "private" would not be open to the
    public, and vice-versa?

Rich

[q1]> Public schools tend to be the old boarding schools of the nation -- Eton, Harrow etc. They are[/q1]
    [q1]> also private schools, a term encompassing all schools not under LEA control and with tuition fees,[/q1]
    [q1]> now including many day schools.[/q1]

Public schools are those whose headteachers are members of the headmasters conference - places like
    eton were free and for all but all those big church education trusts were too tempting for henry 8th
    who thought hmmmmm lets privatise this.... he was a kind of 16th(?) century margret thatcher
    - only with more absolute power

Thanks to everyone who replied with an answer!

Rich

"Richard Magrath" <[email protected]> wrote

[q1]> Thanks to everyone who replied with an answer![/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Rich[/q1]

Thats alright mate, but seeing as you've got, like, 10 different "answers" i'm not sure you're
    better off !!

James

[q1]> I'm pretty sure he was from the 16th century, I presume you must be foreign, everybody should know[/q1]
    [q1]> when Henry the VIII was monastery wrecking. Are you a late arriving Norman or something?[/q1]

Indeed - there is a region of france (middle) called Berry and I am descended from the duke de Berry
    who was a norman pillaging vagabound - err sorry

[q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> In Ireland the Berry name is often really the Beary's (the O/ Be/ara), the[/q1]
    [q1]> O/Be/ara were offshoots of the O/ Diomasaigh or the O'Dempsey sept. One of the latter defeated the[/q1]
    [q1]> Anglo-Norman 'Strongbow' in a battle.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Zwollae[/q1]

In article <Pine.SOL.4.44.0206141150380.269 [email protected]>, Rachel says...
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]>> Public schools tend to be the old boarding schools of the nation -- Eton, Harrow etc. They are[/q2]
    [q2]>> also private schools, a term encompassing all schools not under LEA control and with tuition[/q2]
    [q2]>> fees, now including many day schools.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Public schools are those whose headteachers are members of the headmasters conference - places like[/q1]
    [q1]>eton were free and for all but all those big church education trusts were too tempting for henry[/q1]
    [q1]>8th who thought hmmmmm lets privatise this.... he was a kind of 16th(?) century margret thatcher[/q1]
    [q1]>- only with more absolute power[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

I'm pretty sure he was from the 16th century, I presume you must be foreign, everybody should know
    when Henry the VIII was monastery wrecking. Are you a late arriving Norman or something?

In Ireland the Berry name is often really the Beary's (the O/ Be/ara), the
    O/Be/ara were offshoots of the O/ Diomasaigh or the O'Dempsey sept. One of the latter defeated the
    Anglo-Norman 'Strongbow' in a battle.

Zwollae

In article <Pine.SOL.4.44.0206262345050.155 [email protected]>, Rachel says...
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]>> I'm pretty sure he was from the 16th century, I presume you must be foreign, everybody should[/q2]
    [q2]>> know when Henry the VIII was monastery wrecking. Are you a late arriving Norman or something?[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Indeed - there is a region of france (middle) called Berry and I am descended from the duke de[/q1]
    [q1]>Berry who was a norman pillaging vagabound - err sorry[/q1]

I know the region fairly well. Anthemius recruited Britons under Riothamus to fight on the Loire to
    try to save Berry from Euric the Visigoth. The Western Emperor faced with the Gothic threat in Gaul
    sought a British alliance.

Leo 468 to 474 (Constantinople) appointed Anthemius as Western Emperor. The stuff of King Arthur
    possibly. Asiatic Huns were also used in France as police officers by the Western Emperors in the
    same approximate period.

Lexoviense

Why is it necessary for you to cross-post, please? John

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.