This discussion is closed.
~cla!re~
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
hi im an IB student & got my first tok essay & i aint got a clue where to start or what to write.
The question 4 my essay is:
What are the differences between "i am certain" and "it is certain" & is passionate conviction ever sufficient for justifying knowledge?

If any1 can even just explain the question in simpler terms id be sooooo greatful!

And also ne1 got any ideas about the problems of knowledge?

Please help ~claire~
-=flyboy=-
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ~cla!re~)
hi im an IB student & got my first tok essay & i aint got a clue where to start or what to write.
The question 4 my essay is:
What are the differences between "i am certain" and "it is certain" & is passionate conviction ever sufficient for justifying knowledge?

If any1 can even just explain the question in simpler terms id be sooooo greatful!

And also ne1 got any ideas about the problems of knowledge?

Please help ~claire~

Hi Claire,
Err I'm only an A-level student so dont know if this will help but, 'I am certain' is first person, the second quote is third person. And combined with the otehr thing of explaining the 'problems of knowledge' I expect its asking you what is meant if someone says I am certain, and it is certain. This being the case :confused: I think that if said in first person, there is an element of unconfidence, whereas the third person version conveys a shared knowledge.

As for the problems with knowledge, there are many, especially if someone is ignorant thinking that they know more than they really do. There are social problems to knowledge like knowing too much about someone, or militarily speaking, strategic knowledge that is mislead, the knowledge therefore presents a problem because it is not 100% reliable.

Hmm, haven't a clue if thats right, but I hope it helps

Dave
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
see the other ToK thread
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (43)
23.37%
Unhappy (52)
28.26%
Conflicted (89)
48.37%

Watched Threads