The Student Room Group
Reply 1
yep we should:yep:
Reply 2
I need help with this question to do with solubilities etc:
If you have plotted a graph of solubility of a drug against concentration of surfactant with given values, how do you find the 'intrinsic solubility' of the drug from the graph? And how do you find the critical micellar concentration of the surfactant from the graph? So confused! (JAN 2008 Question B5)
Reply 3
shenzys
I need help with this question to do with solubilities etc:
If you have plotted a graph of solubility of a drug against concentration of surfactant with given values, how do you find the 'intrinsic solubility' of the drug from the graph? And how do you find the critical micellar concentration of the surfactant from the graph? So confused! (JAN 2008 Question B5)

sorry dont remember anything as i have not started revising yet :o: i am screwed :frown:
Reply 4
Intrinsic solubility is defined as the number of moles/L of solute that disolves into solution. I'm 'guessing', so don't take this to be the right answer...

By 'intrinsic solubility of vitalin in water' i think it means, without the addition of surfactant. So you can take that to be the solubilities below the CMC, so '2.4mM'. But 2.4mM = 2.4 mMoles/L, and intrinsic solubility is measured as 'moles/L', so maybe just divide that value by a 1000 to give 0.0024M/L? :confused:

The CMC of the surfactant is the minimum concentration of surfactant at which micelles begin forming, therefore the point at which solubilisation can begin.
If you look at the table provided, it indicates that the solubility of Vitalin doesn't change up until 10mM of surfactant, so this is the 'CMC'. So the question just required you to look at the table, not the graph :smile:

Hope that was of use? Even though it's been like 2 weeks since you've posted the message. But arghh, i feel swamped and times running out! :frown:
Reply 5
Does anybody ahve any tips for the pharmaceutical calcultions paper on wednesday?
Reply 6
shenzys
Does anybody ahve any tips for the pharmaceutical calcultions paper on wednesd/ay?

that is not the real exam innit?

Latest

Trending

Trending