Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but no one is in the shoutbox and i urgently need an answer!

right, i'm applying for a summer job in the US. I need to tell them that I am in year 13, doing A2s, just about to go to uni, but in American equivalences.

I've been told I am a senior, first year undergrad, grade 12... what am i?
    I think I know I would be doing SATs, right?

ReputationRep:
    I've been educated in the North American education system before, to be precise the canadian system. The canadian system is similar to the american one.

Since you are in year 13, you tell them that you are in grade 12. Grade 12 is the equivalent of year 13.

ReputationRep:
    thanks trev.
    would i already be in an american college though? (already doing a bachelors - they're 4 years right?)

and are SATs aligned with A2 levels?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you would be in an american college as yo havn't started your degree course yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepyeba)
    thanks trev.
    would i already be in an american college though? (already doing a bachelors - they're 4 years right?)

and are SATs aligned with A2 levels?
    couldn't you just tell them you're in your last yr of high school?
    SATs are tests req'd to get into american universities, I don't know but I don't think they are aligned with A2 levels... might be wrong though

ReputationRep:
    They do SATs at the end of high school, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I don't think you would be in an american college as yo havn't started your degree course yet.
    American College is our Uni aint it? Cos from the films, they make it look like College is a big deal when for us its Uni.

ReputationRep:
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    American College is our Uni aint it? Cos from the films, they make it look like College is a big deal when for us its Uni.
    yep, college=university
    community college=college

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys you're fab!

ReputationRep:
    no problem

ReputationRep:
    You do SATs at 16-ish

ReputationRep:
    correction: can do them any time during last yr of high school... they are university admission tests

ReputationRep:
    you have to do SAT... some schools need SAT II... A2 can use as course credit but cannot replace SATs I am afraid....

ReputationRep:
    check www.thecollegeboard.com for more details...

ReputationRep:
    I heard somewhere that alevels were equivalent to the first year(s) of an American undergraduate degree.
    I may be wrong however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    I heard somewhere that alevels were equivalent to the first year(s) of an American undergraduate degree.
    I may be wrong however.
    they may be used for transfer credits towards your first year, which may mean you get to skip first year, but as a rule it is only a few subjects... it also depends on what results you have in order to get transfer credits not just passing

ReputationRep:
    sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but no one is in the shoutbox and i urgently need an answer!

right, i'm applying for a summer job in the US. I need to tell them that I am in year 13, doing A2s, just about to go to uni, but in American equivalences.

I've been told I am a senior, first year undergrad, grade 12... what am i?
    I think I know I would be doing SATs, right?
    Tell them you're a high school senior (which is the same as 12th grade). The SAT is separate from school, unrelated to cousework, and recognized/used only in college admission. And yes, our college is your university - but we probably are a bit behind at the start and do take four years for a BA.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.