the US/American education system

Watch
This discussion is closed.
sleepyeba
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but no one is in the shoutbox and i urgently need an answer!

right, i'm applying for a summer job in the US. I need to tell them that I am in year 13, doing A2s, just about to go to uni, but in American equivalences.

I've been told I am a senior, first year undergrad, grade 12... what am i?
I think I know I would be doing SATs, right?
trev
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've been educated in the North American education system before, to be precise the canadian system. The canadian system is similar to the american one.

Since you are in year 13, you tell them that you are in grade 12. Grade 12 is the equivalent of year 13.
sleepyeba
Rep:
?
thanks trev.
would i already be in an american college though? (already doing a bachelors - they're 4 years right?)

and are SATs aligned with A2 levels?
trev
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't think you would be in an american college as yo havn't started your degree course yet.
Semanort
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sleepyeba)
thanks trev.
would i already be in an american college though? (already doing a bachelors - they're 4 years right?)

and are SATs aligned with A2 levels?
couldn't you just tell them you're in your last yr of high school?
SATs are tests req'd to get into american universities, I don't know but I don't think they are aligned with A2 levels... might be wrong though
sleepyeba
Rep:
?
They do SATs at the end of high school, right?
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by trev)
I don't think you would be in an american college as yo havn't started your degree course yet.
American College is our Uni aint it? Cos from the films, they make it look like College is a big deal when for us its Uni.
Semanort
Report 15 years ago
yes.
Semanort
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
American College is our Uni aint it? Cos from the films, they make it look like College is a big deal when for us its Uni.
yep, college=university
community college=college
sleepyeba
Rep:
?
thanks guys you're fab!
Semanort
Report 15 years ago
no problem
~Raphael~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You do SATs at 16-ish
Semanort
Report 15 years ago
correction: can do them any time during last yr of high school... they are university admission tests
anchemis
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
you have to do SAT... some schools need SAT II... A2 can use as course credit but cannot replace SATs I am afraid....
anchemis
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
check www.thecollegeboard.com for more details...
Quiksilver
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I heard somewhere that alevels were equivalent to the first year(s) of an American undergraduate degree.
I may be wrong however.
Semanort
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Quiksilver)
I heard somewhere that alevels were equivalent to the first year(s) of an American undergraduate degree.
I may be wrong however.
they may be used for transfer credits towards your first year, which may mean you get to skip first year, but as a rule it is only a few subjects... it also depends on what results you have in order to get transfer credits not just passing
ylime
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but no one is in the shoutbox and i urgently need an answer!

right, i'm applying for a summer job in the US. I need to tell them that I am in year 13, doing A2s, just about to go to uni, but in American equivalences.

I've been told I am a senior, first year undergrad, grade 12... what am i?
I think I know I would be doing SATs, right?
Tell them you're a high school senior (which is the same as 12th grade). The SAT is separate from school, unrelated to cousework, and recognized/used only in college admission. And yes, our college is your university - but we probably are a bit behind at the start and do take four years for a BA.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (162)
24.88%
Better than expected (132)
20.28%
Worse than expected (357)
54.84%

Watched Threads