Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    Do you think there are some foxes that believe killing chickens is morally wrong and prefer a barley diet?
    Yes, I think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Dictionary time!

Humane - "Characterized by kindness, mercy, or compassion" http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=humane

Humanity - "The quality of being humane; benevolence" http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=humanity
    Do you believe these are attributable to the human race? Do we judge the humanity of a human being? And is humanity something we consider when assessing to kill another living creature?

How exactly am I inhumane? What led you to foolishly believe I have no humanity?
    That was not claimed. I asserted that your comments suggested you did not recognise the concept of humanity. You should stop taking everything personally. Perhaps you need more red meat in your diet?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think so.
    Thats one for the scrapbook.

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe these are attributable to the human race? Do we judge the humanity of a human being? And is humanity something we consider when assessing killing another living creature?
    Obviously not, as I'm sure you know. Yes, we judge the humanity of other human beings, hence why you mistakenly judged me. Humanity is certainly a factor when killing another living creature, hence the rise of vegans and vegetarians.

That was not claimed. I asserted that your comments suggested you did not recognise the concept of humanity. You should stop taking everything personally. Perhaps you need more red meat in your diet?
    vienna - "Mad Caddie or Yawn appear to believe that Humanity or the act of being Humane exists." You clearly believe I am inhumane as you think I am unaware of humanity.

I'm not taking anything personally, but then you'd know all about that. I don't think my diet is of any concern to you, but it's nice to know you care.

ReputationRep:
    Thats one for the scrapbook.
    Ooooh, a fan. Would you like a signed picture??

ReputationRep:
    Yes, we judge the humanity of other human beings, hence why you mistakenly judged me. Humanity is certainly a factor when killing another living creature, hence the rise of vegans and vegetatarian.
    And do hounds recognise humanity and think humanely when chasing the fox?

vienna - "Mad Caddie or Yawn appear to believe that Humanity or the act of being Humane exists." You clearly believe I am inhumane as you think I am unaware of humanity.
    i) I said you "appeared to believe" following a quotation of your comments. That is to say, your comments suggested that you did not recognise the concept of humanity.
    ii) To not recognise a concept of humanity does not mean you are necessarily inhumane and neither did I say so you were.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    It is because of man that bears and the dodo are no longer found in Britain.
    dodos never were found in britain

Indeed, to say we shouldnt interfere with the population of a certain species existing in a habitat controlled and created by man, seems a little naive to me, even if im no expert in this field.
    that said everytime we try to 'correct' our mistakes we just end up making it worse. god only knows there are plenty of past cases of that

ReputationRep:
    And do hounds recognise humanity and think humanely when chasing the fox?
    They don't have a choice. They are starved and forced by farmers.
    i) I said you "appeared to believe" following a quotation of your comments. That is to say, your comments suggested that you did not recognise the concept of humanity.
    ii) To not recognise a concept of humanity does not mean you are necessarily inhumane and neither did I say so you were.
    i) You should have then asked for clarification before posting a highly offensive comment.
    ii) To not recgonise the concept of humanity makes a person inhumane. Maybe you should look in a dictionary as it clearly states the antonym of humanity being inhumane.

ReputationRep:
    i) You should have then asked for clarification before posting a highly offensive comment.
    I did ask, i made that suggestion for you to offer rebuttal. I never claimed you were inhumane.

ii) To not recgonise the concept of humanity makes a person inhumane. Maybe you should look in a dictionary as it clearly states the antonym of humanity being inhumane.
    Thats not what I meant, but its of little value pursuing this avenue.

ReputationRep:
    They don't have a choice. They are starved and forced by farmers.
    Do you judge hounds, foxes, fish, cats, snakes as being humane? Which are the humane, barley eating foxes?

ReputationRep:
    Thats not what I meant, but its of little value pursuing this avenue.
    Quite right, feel free to send me an apology either here or via PM.

ReputationRep:
    Quite right, feel free to send me an apology either here or via PM.
    hehe, i think not. The intention and explanation of my comment has been given. I wouldnt know what I was apologising for.

ReputationRep:
    Do you judge hounds, foxes, fish, cats, snakes as being humane? Which are the humane, barley eating foxes?
    No, those animal/ fish act to survive. Humans can survive without fox-hunting. Fox-hunting is not an act of survival.

The humane, barley eating foxes, are the humane, barley eating foxes. What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    No, those animal, fish act to survive.
    They have no concept of whether some of their actions might be humane or not? Can they choose to not act humanely?

The humane, barley eating foxes, are the humane, barley eating foxes. What do you mean?
    Do the barley eating foxes understand and hold the belief that the chicken eating foxes are inhumane?

ReputationRep:
    Fox-hunting is not an act of survival.
    Do other animals kill for reasons other than survival or are humans the only ones?

ReputationRep:
    They have no concept of whether some of their actions might be humane or not? Can they choose to not act humanely?
    They kill to survive and the foods they kill are usually the only ones they can eat to survive. Humans can and will survive without fox hunting.
    Do the barley eating foxes understand and hold the belief that the chicken eating foxes are inhumane?
    I assume they do, I've never really communicated with a fox so I can't catagorically say yes.

ReputationRep:
    Do other animals kill for reasons other than survival or are humans the only ones?
    Can you name another animal that kills for the fun of it?

ReputationRep:
    They kill to survive and the foods they kill are usually the only ones they can eat to survive. Humans can and will survive without fox hunting.
    Do you believe foxes would never kill for any other reason than to survive?

I assume they do, I've never really commuicated with a fox so I can't catagorically say yes.
    So, some foxes are vegan and have a barley rich diet because they believe killing a chicken is inhumane?

ReputationRep:
    Can you name another animal that kills for the fun of it?
    I personally cant think of another right now, but I believe that is one of many distinctions between man and fox.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.