The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks for the reply. I hope it goes ok :s-smilie: i am a lil nervous thou. Its my top choice if i dont get into queen marys xx
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 21
How did everybody find the open afternoon today? I thought the course and the lecturers were brilliant. Also you can't compete with the universities central location. Did anybody wander off on their own? I went into the student union and gym area lol. Had a walk round the Strand campus too. Their student media newspaper looks really professional and is something I'd want to get involved with. I wasn't too sure about the Roar magazine. It looked ok though.

I will be firming it soon! Just the costs of London living is worrying me. Also, where to live in second and third years??
Reply 22
I thought I had a bad interview but I've just received an email saying I have a unconditional offer!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I thought the open afternoon was good, the uni is in a good location. Its great how close it is to waterloo station as i will be traveling up there everyday :smile:
xxx
Nbollux
I thought I had a bad interview but I've just received an email saying I have a unconditional offer!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I thought the open afternoon was good, the uni is in a good location. Its great how close it is to waterloo station as i will be traveling up there everyday :smile:
xxx

Ohh well done! =)

They rejected me :P Can't say i'm surprised, haha. I couldn't even remember what an adverb was when they asked me O_o lmao

Though Uni of Manchester was my first choice anyway, so it's all good :smile:
Reply 24
They asked me wt a adverb etc was and my mind went blank and i could not remember a thing. I thought i was the only one lol!!! How the hell did I get in if i could not even tell them that. Did u have to write a A4 page of writing too? x
MDEH8176
How did everybody find the open afternoon today? I thought the course and the lecturers were brilliant. Also you can't compete with the universities central location. Did anybody wander off on their own? I went into the student union and gym area lol. Had a walk round the Strand campus too. Their student media newspaper looks really professional and is something I'd want to get involved with. I wasn't too sure about the Roar magazine. It looked ok though.

I will be firming it soon! Just the costs of London living is worrying me. Also, where to live in second and third years??

There is a newspaper that isn't Roar?!? Ha I'm clueless. Roar is good though, I wrote for it in the first two years.

For second and third year you can live anywhere. Depends what you want to do transport wise. If you can afford/want to get the tube, you can live anywhere really (I've lived in hammersmith and now tower hill). I have friends in Battersea, London Bridge/Canada Water/Bermondsey, Bethnal Green, Clapham, New Cross Gate, Camden. Zone 2 is always a good bet, as it's in the zone 1-2 travelcard, and it's easily accessable by bus.

Glad people are likely the sound of the course - it really is great!!

For those who were interviewed - who did it? If you can remember with all the nerves :smile:
Reply 26
ladydeborah
There is a newspaper that isn't Roar?!? Ha I'm clueless. Roar is good though, I wrote for it in the first two years.

For second and third year you can live anywhere. Depends what you want to do transport wise. If you can afford/want to get the tube, you can live anywhere really (I've lived in hammersmith and now tower hill). I have friends in Battersea, London Bridge/Canada Water/Bermondsey, Bethnal Green, Clapham, New Cross Gate, Camden. Zone 2 is always a good bet, as it's in the zone 1-2 travelcard, and it's easily accessable by bus.

Glad people are likely the sound of the course - it really is great!!

For those who were interviewed - who did it? If you can remember with all the nerves :smile:

Well I'm unsure if it was written by students, but it was called London Student. I presume it's done by all of the UoL students or it's just about student-related news. I took a peak in the student union/gym building on the waterloo campus and found it there along with a load of other helpful leaflets. I kind of just wandered around with my family to get a feel for the place. I couldn't believe people were walking into the open day presentation 30 mins late lol. They just kept coming in and the main guy (Alan I think?) could never get into a flow. The other lecturers were really good and they seemed really passionate about their subject.
Nbollux
They asked me wt a adverb etc was and my mind went blank and i could not remember a thing. I thought i was the only one lol!!! How the hell did I get in if i could not even tell them that. Did u have to write a A4 page of writing too? x

Yeahh, I did the book question. I dunno why, I don't study Lit. . .

Probably another reason why they rejected me :P I chose the Lit focused question as opposed to the language one

xox
Reply 28
I went for the book qu too. Only went for it as i thought no one else would and i wanted to write about a book ive just read. Its def my 1st choice so ill be going there in september, any one else decided yet?
As for the student newspaper/magazine i didnt see it but i will def be asking about writing for it as I want to be a journalist x
Reply 29
ladydeborah
:woo: I'm not applying, but i'm in my final year, so any questions you have about the course/uni pm me. :smile: If you make it your firm, you'll love it!

what are the job opportunities after completing this course?
Reply 30
ZMM
what are the job opportunities after completing this course?

- Language research
- Media
- Journalism
- Communications industries
- Speech therapy (after further training)
- Teaching
- Teaching English as a foreign language

From the KCL website: 'Whatever your aspirations, a detailed understanding of how language operates in and shapes the modern world should open the door to a wide range of career opportunities.'

Very true. I think this course would set you up well for many graduate schemes within central London and elsewhere. People say a degree can open doors to a range of careers and I think this is true of this course. You can market it well to general employers as well as those areas where the degree is more directly related.

It has lots of different modules that allow you to cater to your interests e.g. if you want to enrol on a postgrad speech therapy course then you could choose psycholinguistic modules, but if your more focused towards teaching then you may opt for the Language Teaching module.

Latest