Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synaptic Knob)
    Do you talk like you write?
    Somewhat less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noel)
    tHIS IS A CHAT FORUM, YOU CAN SHORTEN WORDS OR MISS THEM OUT, AS LONG AS PEOPLE GET THE GIST OF WHAT YOU MEAN. THIS ISN'T AN ESSAY!
    An 'essay' of the sort which entails capitalisation of all but the first letter? I should think it isn't. After all, 'this' isn't remedial class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annabellewalter)
    I read Glanville Williams 'Learning the Law'
    Did you find it excruciatingly, almost painfully boring? My favourite part was when he told me I shouldn't correct grammatical errors on library books, even if they really bugged me, becuase other peopole wouldn't like it. Like I didn't know that.

Personally I preferred 'Understanding The Law' and 'Eve Was Framed'. Eminently more readable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lillith Grimore)
    Did you find it excruciatingly, almost painfully boring? My favourite part was when he told me I shouldn't correct grammatical errors on library books, even if they really bugged me, becuase other peopole wouldn't like it. Like I didn't know that.

Personally I preferred 'Understanding The Law' and 'Eve Was Framed'. Eminently more readable.
    Definitely- Understanding the Law was both far more informative and far more relevant.

ReputationRep:
    random trivia..

(Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Lord Denning would be proud
    is he still alive or is this a posthumous reference..? & indicentally, what exactly did he do? my boyf is tutored by the son of the man i think you're referring too & pretty sure he's 'Professor Lord Denning now'.. i want that many prefixes!

i could of course, google all this.. but then it was your comment that prompted the thoughts.. & i really should be working! :p:

a smidgen more relevant.. i like Profesh's statement, but then i do have a fondness for melodrama at times! with hindisght it amazes me how casual my 17 year old self was with the whole UCAS thing..

ReputationRep:
    Lord Denning has passed away.

ReputationRep:
    'Learning the law' was like chewing cardboard. I wanted to read 'Eve was framed' and was told not to by some peanut butter brained muppet. Some people.

And as for the whole comment about 'chat forums' Profesh has the right to be himself. And if that is articulate and formal then so be it.............it doesn't make what he says any less relevant...or any more relevant. I really don't see the point in bringing it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Lord Denning has passed away.
    the Lord Denning you're referring to..right, thank you. that would explain the 'Lord Denning' i know of, who's unlikely to be a lawyer icon! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    the Lord Denning you're referring to..right, thank you. that would explain the 'Lord Denning' i know of, who's unlikely to be a lawyer icon! :p:
    Okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    random trivia..

is he still alive or is this a posthumous reference..? & indicentally, what exactly did he do? my boyf is tutored by the son of the man i think you're referring too & pretty sure he's 'Professor Lord Denning now'.. i want that many prefixes!
    Lord Denning (the lawyer) died in 1999. Let me guess: your boyfriend studies chemistry at Oxford. Yup, apparently Denning's son is a chemistry professor there. Also, if what you say is correct, it seems he inherited Denning's peerage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Yes, well: inasmuch as I may esteem such a comparison, I should nonetheless profess my current aspirations to reside firmly above ground; thankyou very much :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    In lieu of the recent termination of this year's application cycle, and pursuant to a number of requests in this regard, I have elected to contribute my personal statement to the global resource pool. Feedback is unnecessary; this is purely for the benefit of prospective applicants. I sincerely hope that it serves you as well as it has me.

The spectre of global terrorism is prevalent. Fundamental civil liberties are under threat, not only by those who seek to destroy our society, but also by those who have been charged with the task of safeguarding it. We are possibly entering a period of momentous constitutional change and legislative upheaval. Therefore, it seems to me that the 21st century looks set to be both an exciting and crucial time in which to embark upon legal study.

My desire to study Law stems from a growing fascination with World events, as well as with the minutiae of our day-to-day existence. As Helena Kennedy QC states 'The Law is the bedrock of a nation; it tells us who we are, what we value, who has power, and who hasn't. Almost nothing has more impact on our lives,' (Just Law, 2004): this, I believe, defines the importance of Law. I am stimulated by present-day ethical considerations which may impact upon the legal framework of this country: Everyday Law (Aviva Golden, 2000), for example, stipulates that marital union may take place only between two, consenting adults of the opposite sex; yet, when marriage harbours civil as well as religious implications, is it right to discriminate? How is it possible for one to reliably arbitrate the point at which abortion should be deemed illegal? Both are among issues which I find to be perplexing and fascinating in equal measure. I am interested also in the fundamental components of legal practise; the exposition of complex drafts (such as marriage or business contracts), being something which I feel would be facilitated by a firm and comprehensive grasp of the English language. I would say, in addition, that I am a confident and articulate public speaker - exemplified by my participation in the 2004 House debating team - and one who regularly takes pleasure in assuming the role of 'Devil's Advocate' for the purpose of arguing controversial points of view, irrespective of personal bias.

My work experience with the Crown Prosecution Service in Gloucester really fired and reinforced my enthusiasm for a career in Law. I had the opportunity to shadow administrators, solicitors and office clerks, observing critical procedures at every level: from case-work and preparation, all the way through to the excitement of litigation in the Crown Courts. This enabled me to lay to rest any sensationalised preconceptions (such as those arising from TV dramatisations) in favour of a more rounded insight into the legal field; backed up, of course, with Brian Heap's The Way In, and Philip Kenny's Studying Law - both of which have provided valuable insights. It has also invested me with some notion of what to expect from the very wide range of career opportunities currently available within the legal domain.

With respect to my extra-curricular life, I work as a sales assistant for Maltby Books in Cheltenham. I am also the recent recipient of a Millennium Volunteers Award of Excellence for having contributed 200 hours to my local community - to whit, the Pate's School Library, and Cheltenham Children's Theatre Association. As regards the latter, I am currently director, secretary and Committee member of three years' standing, in addition to having acted lead roles in several Summer productions. I also played the part of Richard Greatham in a recent Pate's 6th form production of Noel Coward's 'Hay Fever'. All these activities have demanded a significant degree of sustained commitment, integrity and competence; in addition, they have afforded me the opportunity to develop administrative skills, computer literacy, and the ability to communicate ideas to people under a variety of circumstances. I would say that I have acquired valuable skills and experience as a result of these ventures; qualities which I hope would contribute significantly to a promising career studying Law at university.
    Perfect what else can I say may be this..

Long ago in the Russian hills,A Victorian explorer found the regal Hogweed by a marsh. He captured it and brought it home.Botanical creature stirs, seeking revenge. Royal beast did not forget.He came home to London,
    And made a present of the Hogweed to the Royal Gardens at Kew.

ReputationRep:
    Reading both those personal statements makes me realise....mine was pretty pants lol. It's all becoming clear why i may have got 4 rejections....lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eki_86)
    Reading both those personal statements makes me realise....mine was pretty pants lol. It's all becoming clear why i may have got 4 rejections....lol
    It's not conclusive that the personal statement had anything to do with your rejections, unless you asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    Lord Denning (the lawyer) died in 1999. Let me guess: your boyfriend studies chemistry at Oxford. Yup, apparently Denning's son is a chemistry professor there. Also, if what you say is correct, it also seems like he inherited Denning's peerage.
    very astute.. which college? just teasing..

generally he's referred to as 'Bob' but i'm pretty sure he's inherited the peerage because i remember a conversation about which comes first 'Professor' or 'Lord' & it's the former, apparently!

& i can see why you wouldn't want to emmulate the Lord Denning of this thread exactly right now, Profesh. & perhaps you find Chemistry less of a thrill for his son to suffice.

ReputationRep:
    Hereditery peers are going.

ReputationRep:
    my god!!! those personal statements make mine look like it was written by someone with about half a braincell!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chandni)
    my god!!! those personal statements make mine look like it was written by someone with about half a braincell!!!
    I wouldn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Hereditery peers are going.
    erm...ok.

ReputationRep:
    here's my statement...it's deffinately a lot more "average" than the ones posted above but I kinda like it!!!

I find the prospect of studying European Law at university an exciting and challenging one. I feel that it is a course that I will truly take pleasure in and I look forward to using the knowledge gained from such a course in the career I would eventually like to pursue in a multi-national law firm.

There are a number of interesting issues raised by the expansion of the EU such as
    nationality, mobility and human rights. I believe that the course will not only teach me to think more clearly and analytically in a general sense but will also provide me with specific critical knowledge about the new Europe in which we now live.

Through my A-level studies in Economics, Politics and History I have managed to improve my skills of evaluation, problem solving and logic. I have also been able to gain a good grounding in the recent social, economic and political development of an expanding Europe; this has given rigour and depth to my already keen personal interest in current affairs and world politics.

On a recent trip to Miami, as part of my 'A' Level Politics course, I was able to take part in several of the Republican and Democratic campaigns. These included a pressure group called 'America Coming Together', which encouraged people to vote, and 'The Mel Martinez for US Senate' campaign. We were able to attend a speech given by President Bush's daughters and were volunteers at a rally where Bill Clinton was speaking. From this I gained practical insight into both the election campaign and US political ideology.

Completing the college peer listening programme has made me realise how critical it is to listen deeply and attentively. In my view listening is a skill that is often underestimated. Being a good listener will be a particularly valuable skill in the field of law.

In my spare time I am an avid motor sports fan, my main interest being in Formula One and Moto GP. I enjoy writing about motor sports and recently had some articles, relating to the current Formula One season, published on the Internet. I have also had two poems published. I am a great believer in the philosophy behind the Olympics and I followed the recent games closely. I am well travelled, having been to Thailand, Kenya, Dubai as well as many parts of Europe. I hope to substantiate my knowledge of European Law by spending some time in Europe during university vacations.

I have completed two weeklong work experience placements. The first was at Chelsea Barracks. It was a rewarding and character-building experience. I was given the opportunity to take part in some activities which are a part of the Royal Green Jackets training such as night time navigation. We were treated like trainee soldiers and were coached and disciplined as a group. This showed me the importance of operating as a team player. I emerged from this work experience a more rounded and confident person.

On Saturdays, I work at a thriving print shop in Notting Hill. My duties include counter
    sales, administration and financial matters. This experience has improved my communication skills and taught me the art of patience and empathy when dealing with difficult customers.

My second, more recent work experience was with a firm of solicitors. Here my duties were mostly clerical but I was also able to read cases about the purchase and sale of properties as well as some matrimonial cases. This fuelled my ambition to enter the legal profession.

I intend to approach this course with commitment and determination. It will be a step in the direction of a career in the legal profession, which I would like to pursue eventually.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.