Personal Statement - Law Watch

This discussion is closed.
fuglyduckling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
This is an extremely old thread, but I'm bored and so I'll respond.

I think he understands that there is a time and a place - look:

(Original post by Profesh)
you may want to bear in mind I am only that which I wish to seem. When it comes to the crunch, I'll adapt, if need be
He's an anonymous user on an internet forum; I rather doubt that he speaks in such a verbose (and arguably superfluous!) manner in everyday life. I think it's quite nice to see someone write properly in these days of txt spk, but that's just my humble opinion.
ChariK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lmao I love you Profesh. You must sit there for hours thinking "Right. How can I type MORE like a tit?"
GreenMonstrosity
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Profesh, that is an excellent PS I would say.
GreenMonstrosity
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
"That which i wish to seem". Hehe I have got to quote that one day.
Khalsa1846
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm going to put on my Personal Statement purely for the advantage of those applying for law after me. I like to think that my PS was the reason as to why i had even got an interview at Oxford university given my poor GCSE's (though reasons of why are hinted in my PS). I dont mind criticism of my PS at all and in fact welcome it!

Having studied law at A-level I have found that the discipline of law is not only attractive in terms of its intellectual rigours but also due to its inter-disciplinary nature. This was reinforced earlier this year following my placement on the Linklaters and Sutton Trust 'Young Graduates for Lawyers Programme'. There are many components that shape the law in its formation and dispensation from the historical, sociological and religious to economic,
geographical and moral factors. I have a particular interest in both Human Rights law and Corporate law. I have thought of becoming a corporate lawyer in the international arena, in particular reaching out and taking a part in the emerging markets in Asia and South America. I believe this career would allow me to combine my interests, as I believe that economic success depends upon a sound environment of human rights. Having been employed at the
Heathrow Airport branches of Travelex Ltd, at present, and Starbucks, I have learned the importance of ethical business practice, for example in the field of Anti-Money Laundering regulations at Travelex. Starbucks campaign to build better water-based infrastructure in the coffee growing Sidamo region in Ethiopia also enthuses me. My interest further deepened during my work experience in the Finance & Capital Markets section at Clifford Chance LLP,
where amongst other things I gained an awareness of the wider impact the enlargement of the European Union, this year, would have on the economies and legal systems of both the UK and the respective new member states.
Taking History A-level has led me to improve my analytical skills when challenging the integrity and value of sources. My personal study 'Why didn't the Sikhs in the Punjab achieve independence in the years 1947 to 1987?' allowed me to conduct an independent study to analyse the causes of a potentially explosive situation and how the law can both empower people and also divide them. Psychology has given me a wider picture of the reasoning behind actions and what influences us when making decisions as members of society. It has also provided me with invaluable skills such as quantitative and qualitative data collection methods. Geography offered me an appreciation of how government policies and cultural variations can have an impact on both physical elements and human development. At the end of my current gap year I intend to travel to Kenya and complete a conservation
project. This year, I am also completing an A/S-Level in English Language & Literature. I'm anxious to add the experience of literature to my repertoire, since lawyers use words with precision to convey argument, advice and persuasion. Throughout Key Stage 4 (GCSE years) and A-Level years, I had to take over my father's role within the family to an extent financially (as can be seen from my employment history from the age of 16), but more in terms of his paternal responsibilities. Furthermore, my elder sister, who is congenitally disabled, had increased my burden of responsibilities at this
time. This affected me academically; my GCSE results do not reflect my ability, nor my potential. I had to mature quickly! As my father has now returned and my sister will be going into care, I am now more free to concentrate fully on academic work.
I have been a member of the Air Training Corps (ATC/RAF) for 5 years and have attained the rank of Sergeant, taking on responsibility for the training, discipline and welfare of the cadets. I have enjoyed an active sporting life and represent my unit in football, table tennis and target rifle shooting, in which I represent Middlesex. I have 10 hours of fixed wing and 2 hours of rotary flying experience. These activities reflect my temperament and
character: I am calm, clear thinking, capable of action and reaction.
I nurture an ambition, not yet fully formed, to transfer, if that is still possible or even necessary by then, to the bar after gaining experience as a solicitor. I believe my strength lies in advocacy, and it would be disappointing not to make use of this professionally.

My original personal statement was twice as long as the above and it was a wrench for me to cut it down in size. Good luck future applicants!

Mandeep
Unpossible
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Khalsa1846)
Having been employed at Starbucks, I have learned the importance of ethical business practice
Some might say that "Starbucks" and "ethical business" were two phrases never to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Good PS, though.
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Onearmedbandit)
Lord Denning would be proud
no he wouldn't- he kept things short, sweet and easy, This statement is too pretentious for my liking. I keot mine jokey, light-yet-serious, drawing on all of my english-wqith humour skills, and it worked great. I bet the people reading this thought, "for christ's sake"- another one who wants to take over the world.

liked the storyish beginning though.the way i did mine was sort of a "growing up with law" sort of thing- i started as me at 5, then at 10, then at 15, and wrote my perceptions of law from each age.so started with how i thort the wigs were funny, then by the time i had got to a level, the fascination with the adversarial ways of the courts, and the persuasive language techinqques needed to be successful etc etc. try it, if you get it right it sounds brill.mine was so good i wanted it published
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by cottonmouth)
no he wouldn't- he kept things short, sweet and easy, This statement is too pretentious for my liking. I keot mine jokey, light-yet-serious, drawing on all of my english-wqith humour skills, and it worked great. I bet the people reading this thought, "for christ's sake"- another one who wants to take over the world.

liked the storyish beginning though.the way i did mine was sort of a "growing up with law" sort of thing- i started as me at 5, then at 10, then at 15, and wrote my perceptions of law from each age.so started with how i thort the wigs were funny, then by the time i had got to a level, the fascination with the adversarial ways of the courts, and the persuasive language techinqques needed to be successful etc etc. try it, if you get it right it sounds brill.mine was so good i wanted it published
I'm certain Lord Denning would indeed be 'proud', were it possible to resurrect him for the purpose: dead people have always left me alone, however, and as such I only see fit to reciprocate the courtesy; perhaps now more so than ever, what with my having been lately declared among them (that is, if posts such as this one are to be taken as gospel).

Although, of course, I yet beg to differ: Izzy played no part in my demise (however much she may protest the contrary).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (532)
80.24%
Leave (131)
19.76%

Watched Threads