This discussion is closed.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 18 years ago
What do you think of the FA's punishment of Arsenal after the scenes at Old Trafford in September? Too harsh, too lenient or just right? And try not to talk about the England team's punishment, it's not relevant.
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
What do you think of the FA's punishment of Arsenal after the scenes at Old Trafford in September? Too harsh, too lenient or just right? And try not to talk about the England team's punishment, it's not relevant.
remind me again what was arsenals punishment
Juwel
Rep:
(Original post by eric bischoff)
remind me again what was arsenals punishment
Arsenal: Fine of £175,000
Lauren: Four match ban, fine of £40,000
Martin Keown: Three match ban, fine of £20,000
Ray Parlour: One match ban, fined £10,000
Patrick Vieira: One match ban, fined £20,000
Ashley Cole: Fined £10,000
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Arsenal: Fine of £175,000
Lauren: Four match ban, fine of £40,000
Martin Keown: Three match ban, fine of £20,000
Ray Parlour: One match ban, fined £10,000
Vieira: One match ban, fined £20,000
Ashley Cole: Fined £10,000
Bans on individual players are roughly in line with what I expected. Fine for club is lenient.
LPK
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Bans on individual players are roughly in line with what I expected. Fine for club is lenient.
£10,000 and £20,000 is nothing to them they earn more than that playing 1 match
DanMushMan
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
anyone watch the premiership?
Mills pushed some Wolves guy, and of course nothing will happen to him. How long do most people take to walk off the pitch after a red card, banning an extra game to Paddy for that is ridiculous.
The fact that someone like Smith will probably get a 3 match ban for throwing a bottle into the crowd whilst Lauren can get a 4 match one for pushing someone is insane.
I can only thank Fergie for his 'deal' comments. Didn't he learn not to challenge football's governing bodies when UEFA fined him for calling the CL draw a fix. His comments will probably land him in hot water with the FA and gave Arsenal a bit of motivation against Leeds.
Toffee
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
not a bad goal by our adrian (with his arm lol)
LPK
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Toffee)
what kind of name is toffee
what made you think of that name?
Juwel
Rep:
(Original post by DanMushMan)
anyone watch the premiership?
Mills pushed some Wolves guy, and of course nothing will happen to him. How long do most people take to walk off the pitch after a red card, banning an extra game to Paddy for that is ridiculous.
The fact that someone like Smith will probably get a 3 match ban for throwing a bottle into the crowd whilst Lauren can get a 4 match one for pushing someone is insane.
I can only thank Fergie for his 'deal' comments. Didn't he learn not to challenge football's governing bodies when UEFA fined him for calling the CL draw a fix. His comments will probably land him in hot water with the FA and gave Arsenal a bit of motivation against Leeds.
Vieira was treated unfairly. He should have just got the punishment that normally follows a red card. For Cole, Lauren and Parlour, all I have to go on is media reports, and from those I would say they should have been fined more. It seems you can push a linesman about and just apologise out of your back pocket.
Keown should have been much more severely punished. All the stick the English press gave to Alpay was hypocritical in that Keown's actions were far worse and more thuggish. Extend his ban and fine him more I say.
As for Arsenal as a whole, they have caused the game a lot of long-term damage, yet no such damage is done to them to compensate. Points deduction may have been too much (although at the time when my emotions were running high I called for a six-point cut), but a fine nearer the region of £500,000 would have at least made the club look at themselves and think they should fix up.
And please do not compare separate, isolated, and irrelevant incidents.
Juwel
Rep:
This from someone who shares their name with the nickname of the aggreived team...
Toffee
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
what kind of name is toffee
what made you think of that name?
toffee is the name of my dog
he has influenced me so that i have adopted his name
LPK
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
toffee is the name of my dog
he has influenced me so that i have adopted his name
fair enough excuse
what type of dog is yours?
Toffee
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
yes...whenever i log on as toffee i appreciate this

my toffee has no links with everton.

i am chelsea through and through
DanMushMan
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Vieira was treated unfairly. He should have just got the punishment that normally follows a red card. For Cole, Lauren and Parlour, all I have to go on is media reports, and from those I would say they should have been fined more. It seems you can push a linesman about and just apologise out of your back pocket.
Keown should have been much more severely punished. All the stick the English press gave to Alpay was hypocritical in that Keown's actions were far worse and more thuggish. Extend his ban and fine him more I say.
As for Arsenal as a whole, they have caused the game a lot of long-term damage, yet no such damage is done to them to compensate. Points deduction may have been too much (although at the time when my emotions were running high I called for a six-point cut), but a fine nearer the region of £500,000 would have at least made the club look at themselves and think they should fix up.
And please do not compare separate, isolated, and irrelevant incidents.
oh yes, from a guy who just pulled the Alpay incident out of his back pocket. From a team with a thug who has gone onto a football pitch with an aim to end someone career. From a team with a player who 'forgot' to take a mandatory drugs test, which he as informed of just a hour before hand, and who's mobile was 'switch off' even though he was using it, and had 'moving house' on his mind, whilst shopping.
Juwel
Rep:
oh yes, from a guy who just pulled the Alpay incident out of his back pocket. From a team with a thug who has gone onto a football pitch with an aim to end someone career. From a team with a player who 'forgot' to take a mandatory drugs test, which he as informed of just a hour before hand, and who's mobile was 'switch off' even though he was using it, and had 'moving house' on his mind, whilst shopping.
I meant that the FA should see each incident for what it is and not compare. I was highlighting the hypocrisy of the media who always like to compare anyway, but they just 'forgot' to compare the two incidents I mentioned.
How many games do you see where not one tackle is made with malice? Keane got enough of a punishment at the time of the incident, without having to be punished for his right to free speech in his book as well.
And maybe Rio did genuinely forget. But he shouldn't have, he's a professional. If you're going to weaken my argument, stick to me and don't attack my team. You wouldn't like it if I said how funny it is that Wenger has such selective sight.
DanMushMan
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
I meant that the FA should see each incident for what it is and not compare. I was highlighting the hypocrisy of the media who always like to compare anyway, but they just 'forgot' to compare the two incidents I mentioned.
How many games do you see where not one tackle is made with malice? Keane got enough of a punishment at the time of the incident, without having to be punished for his right to free speech in his book as well.
And maybe Rio did genuinely forget. But he shouldn't have, he's a professional. If you're going to weaken my argument, stick to me and don't attack my team. You wouldn't like it if I said how funny it is that Wenger has such selective sight.
ok, I'll talk about you. You claim to be a United fan, yet you've never seen a football kicked by them and you live in London. End of.
Toffee
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
ok, I'll talk about you. You claim to be a United fan, yet you've never seen a football kicked by them and you live in London. End of.
Lol
Juwel
Rep:
I have. On telly. Ner ner neener ner!
I cried on Treble night! How passionate am I?! Remember 26th May 1999!
Croydon is it, wouldn't Charlton or Millwall be more up your street? Or do you use the excuse that Arsenal used to play south of the river? Fake North London club.
Just because I haven't been to a game doesn't make my voice any less valid.
Toffee
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Croydon is it, wouldn't Charlton or Millwall be more up your street? Or do you use the excuse that Arsenal used to play south of the river? Fake North London club.
I am enjoying following this argument. ZJuwelH makes a good point here. Mushman person, outwit him, entertain me!
DanMushMan
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Yes I'm south of the river, but it doesn't stop me going to game, nor does being in Cambridgel; I'm going to the Kiev game even though its a) a weekday b) on telly c) expensive. I'm also joining the travel club because I fancy travelling the country to watch my team play. I was also born and bred in Wood Green, which is less than 6km from Highbury, so your arguement falls flat on its face. Not only that, but the fact you have the cheek to argue that I live too far away to support a team is just ever so slightly hypocritical.
And yes, because you haven't been to a game, it does make your voice less valid.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (34)
10.06%
Okay (99)
29.29%
A bit lacking (122)
36.09%
Not good at all (83)
24.56%

Watched Threads