Turn on thread page Beta

12 year old murderer sentenced to 60 years watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Quite often American courts sentence the accused for extornationate periods of time but they don't always serve the full sentence. They have been known to give sentences in five figures regarding custody.
    So he would be unlikely to serve 50 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    So he would be unlikely to serve 50 years?
    That I can't possibly answer as I have no basis on which to decide upon. Their sentences are often ridiculously extornationate and often arbitary.

ReputationRep:
    This is rediculous the boy was 12 years when he did this he was a child and should have been prosecuted as such. By the time this boy gets out he will be 72.
    I swear people dont read. His sentence was 30 years concurrent. Taking into consideration 6 years detention and the possibility of early release, he will do 15-20 years in jail.

It is rediculous. It has been seen in many cases that antidepressants especially in children and younge people had cause homocidal and suicidal urges. One of the most well known case of this is that of seroxat. If the boy is found guilty then yes he should be punished but I just think that the the punishement was rediculously harsh
    i) Do you believe you are in a better position than the judge and jury?
    ii) Would you prefer 6 years detention or 30 years jail?

(Original post by Howard)
    Ridiculous is spelt with an "i"
    Not if you're Borat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    I swear people dont read. His sentence was 30 years concurrent. Taking into consideration 6 years detention and the possibility of early release, he will do 15-20 years in jail.

i) Do you believe you are in a better position than the judge and jury?
    ii) Would you prefer 6 years detention or 30 years jail?
    I don't agree that a child should ever be sentanced to that long in prison. That is what he is a child however much anyone tries to demonise him. I really don't agree with the sentancing. I am not saying that he shouldn't have been found guilty I am saying that I don't agree with the sentancing. That is something that the judge and the jury couldn't control due to minimal sentancing ect. I believe that the sentance should be somewhere between the two suggestions you have made

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree that a child should ever be sentanced to that long in prison. That is what he is a child however much anyone tries to demonise him. I really don't agree with the sentancing. I am not saying that he shouldn't have been found guilty I am saying that I don't agree with the sentancing. That is something that the judge and the jury couldn't control due to minimal sentancing ect. I believe that the sentance should be somewhere between the two suggestions you have made
    A child? Good God, my great great great great (I'm not sure how many "greats" - never worked it out) was a serving midshipman in the British navy at that age and became a 4th Lieutenant two years later.

ReputationRep:
    A child? Good God, my great great great great (I'm not sure how many "greats" - never worked it out) was a serving midshipman in the British navy at that age and became a 4th Lieutenant two years later.
    Back then you had a shorter life span and I believe today humans are developing physically and mentally at an earlier stage than your ancestoral counterparts. Not totally sure on that though.

ReputationRep:
    Back then you had a shorter life span and I believe today humans are developing physically and mentally at an earlier stage than your ancestoral counterparts. Not totally sure on that though.
    Certainly a shorter lifespan. I'd have thought you'd have to have grown up pretty quick to be plunged into a life on the ocean waves in the navy at 12 though. How my (however many great's) grandaddy might have compared mentally to a 12 year old today I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly a shorter lifespan. I'd have thought you'd have to have grown up pretty quick to be plunged into a life on the ocean waves in the navy at 12 though.
    I was thinking that too.

ReputationRep:
    People grew up a lot faster in the past. Now children can stay children for a lot younger. Also any child who is on anti-depressants at the age of 12 is bound to have problems.

ReputationRep:
    People grew up a lot faster in the past. Now children can stay children for a lot younger.
    Sorry to be off-topic here but does that mean we should have raised the age of consent, voting, being in the army etc. rather than dropping them as time goes by?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be off-topic here but does that mean we should have raised the age of consent, voting, being in the army etc. rather than dropping them as time goes by?
    I think that the age of consent is probably ok as it is. 16 year olds are mature enough to make that decision. However in the past 14 year olds having kids weren't uncommon so the age of consent had gone up.

ReputationRep:
    However in the past 14 year olds having kids weren't uncommon so the age of consent had gone up.
    I thought it used to be 21 years ago. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I think that the age of consent is probably ok as it is. 16 year olds are mature enough to make that decision.
    16 year old's aren't mature enough to wipe their own backsides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Well, considering he tried to strangle another student earlier in the day, and he tried to cover up the evidence of his crime by burning the house down and claiming he was kidnapped...I'm leaning toward the kid being calculating...
    The fact that he tried to 'strangle another student' earlier in the day causes me to lean in the other direction. If I were sitting there contemplating the murder of my grandparents, I'd make as much effort as possible to stay out of trouble on that particular day. (Malice aforethought, anyone?)

ReputationRep:
    I thought it used to be 21 years ago. :confused:
    I meant way in the past not just slightly.

ReputationRep:
    I meant way in the past not just slightly.
    Oh okay then.

16 year old's aren't mature enough to wipe their own backsides.
    Agreed, but according to some states, they're old enough to sue their parents for child abuse... I.E. Not being allowed to smoke pot in the house, or copulate with their girl/boy friends in the confines of their own bedroom.

ReputationRep:
    No 12 year old deserves to be sentenced for that long. It's like the James Bulger case. I was disgusted at the public uproar about them being released, what did society want, for them to condemn 2 young boys for life?

ReputationRep:
    People grew up a lot faster in the past.
    ********, they didn't have TV and the Spice Girls telling them the way to flaunt their bodies and shag.

Now children can stay children for a lot younger. Also any child who is on anti-depressants at the age of 12 is bound to have problems.
    You don't agree with the sentence but what do you make of the crime? He was clearly of the capacity to attempt to drive a car, so you can't really use the drug-influenced argument here

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.