Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Analytical Thinking Exercise Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I've scheduled a first round interview at an IB, and was told that I will undergo an analytical thinking exercise, followed by a competency based interview. Can anyone please tell me what an analytical thinking exercise is?

Are they usually case studies, or will it be a series of brain teaser related questions?

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of such a thing, but I'd guess it'll be a cause and effect exercise - i.e. when interest rates fall, what happens to the price of bonds?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks...the interview is for GS, so I'm sure someone has heard of an "analytical thinking exercise"...anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobshmob)
    Hi all, I've scheduled a first round interview at an IB, and was told that I will undergo an analytical thinking exercise, followed by a competency based interview. Can anyone please tell me what an analytical thinking exercise is?

Are they usually case studies, or will it be a series of brain teaser related questions?
    Which division is it for? It may give us a better idea. Eg. if it's for IBD it may be looking at a company and then going through their problems and what strategy they could take - eg. merger, divestiture, sell something, raise capital etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by love2learn)
    Which division is it for? It may give us a better idea. Eg. if it's for IBD it may be looking at a company and then going through their problems and what strategy they could take - eg. merger, divestiture, sell something, raise capital etc.
    It's for GS, in the technology division. thanks

ReputationRep:
    really not sure then - never had much dealing with tech I'm afraid
    But sounds like there's a few of you with first rounds for that division so hopefully someone should know, either that or are there any recruitment events between now and then? May be a chance to get some insights

ReputationRep:
    Never interviewed at GS but have at several other IBs.
    Typical questions are things like:
    - If you have a 2-side scales and 6 balls, what's the smallest number of times you can use the scales to determine the heaviest ball.
    - The Fox, the Hen and the Corn riddle (look it up). Basically a farmer wants to take these 3 items across a bridge but can only move them one at a time: the fox will eat the hen, the hen will eat the corn
    A similar one is Missionaries and Cannibals http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission...nibals_problem

- You can also have vaguer questions which don't have an exact answer but allow the interviewer to see how your mind works, how you proceed with reasoning: the exact answer isn't that important as you may not have the background knowledge or sufficient information.

- For example: how would you determine the number of petrol stations in London, how many golf balls can you fit in a Boeing 737...

- It could also be mathematical questions but less likely for a technology role: probability questions involving the roll of dices (what's the probability of roling the same number 3 times blabla...), some basic Taylor series expansion question...

Poll
Would you shell out for travel insurance?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.