The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Or maybe MathMeaws ?
I'm told the plural of Mathmo is Mathmoi.
Immortal Wombat
I'm told the plural of Mathmo is Mathmoi.

like "Math es moi!" ?
Reply 23
Camford
It's MSc. No i.

The degree I'm starting in Oct is MSci.
Reply 24
/me is not bothered.

Now the improtant question, Physics or sleep.
Michael Mourao
like "Math es moi!" ?

No, pronounced "mathmoy". Greek contruction or something.
Reply 26
Well I'm inconsistent within myself.. because I say Nat-Skee and Comp-Sigh :smile:
Reply 27
spin
Well I'm inconsistent within myself.. because I say Nat-Skee and Comp-Sigh :smile:

Computer Scientists sigh all the time...
Reply 28
Chardonnay
I don't go to Cambridge or anything, but surely it's got to be 'sigh'. I've always said sigh! How would you say MSci then? M-Sigh surely?

No, it's absolutely unequivocally Natski and Compski. But Emsigh. English is full of contradictions, that's why it's so great.

Oh, and Mathmows.
Reply 29
Camford
Computer Scientists sigh all the time...

Do they? I only know one and I don't think I've ever heard him sigh.. :rolleyes:
Reply 30
Helenia
No, it's absolutely unequivocally Natski and Compski. But Emsigh. English is full of contradictions, that's why it's so great.

Oh, and Mathmows.

I'll take your word for it! :smile: So it's Natski for the course, and the person that studies it, or does a Natski study Natsigh?
Reply 31
nobody ever ever ever would say natsigh in any context, it would sound silly! :smile:
Reply 32
spin
Do they? I only know one and I don't think I've ever heard him sigh.. :rolleyes:

I do at least.
Reply 33
Adhsur
Very trivial question, but I was just having a dispute with someone over the pronunciation of "Compsci" and "Natsci". Are they pronounced with a sigh (e.g. Comp-sigh) or a skee (Comp-skee)?

Surely sigh would make sense as you don't pronounce science "skeense" do you? :biggrin:

:biggrin:

It's definitely skee.

But then there's also people who don't pronounce the p (like me most of the time) so it's either com-skee or comp-skee.

A.
I'll just call them computer science students for ease...
Reply 35
Michael Mourao
I'll just call them computer science students for ease...

Now, that just spoils all the fun!
Reply 36
compskee sounds like something from the cold war.

also, isnt it mathmos (pl.) ?
Natskee natskee natskee. Always. Apparently it started a few years back when there was a fashion for making everything russian-sounding? Dunno. But definitely natskee.

And yep, MSci is M-Sigh, because people doing four-year courses are too sad to join in with the ski-ing :p: (or possibly too sane). Camford - you get an MSci here after doing a four year course. You can only get it in the physical sciences and biochemistry. Discrimination, say I.
Reply 38
I quite like the sound of Nat-skee; I daresay it sounds rather eccentric!

I think Mathmos should be acceptable. The only word I can think of right now with a similar ending is "maestro." The plural of "maestro" is wither "maestros" or "maestri." So mathmos = maestros. :wink:

I'm not sure about mathmoi, though. It sounds a bit French...
"Bonjour, nous sommes des mathmoi!" Also if "maestro" becomes "maestri, " then can "mathmo" become "mathmi?!" ("mi" rhyming with "pi :wink: "
Reply 39
minimo
I quite like the sound of Nat-skee; I daresay it sounds rather eccentric!

I think Mathmos should be acceptable. The only word I can think of right now with a similar ending is "maestro." The plural of "maestro" is wither "maestros" or "maestri." So mathmos = maestros. :wink:

I'm not sure about mathmoi, though. It sounds a bit French...
"Bonjour, nous sommes des mathmoi!" Also if "maestro" becomes "maestri, " then can "mathmo" become "mathmi?!" ("mi" rhyming with "pi :wink: "

Are you going there to do MML? :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending