Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do you feel about ASBO's?

Are they a good solution?

Are they flawed?

And do you think if instead of getting the ASBO...the offender was sent to a US "boot camp" would that solve the problem in a more efficient way?

ReputationRep:
    a vicious beating by hit squads in unmarked vans would solve the problem instantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    a vicious beating by hit squads in unmarked vans would solve the problem instantly.

not everyone who merits one gets one. ergo they don't nip the problem in the bud. ergo they are no real effective solution.

ReputationRep:
    It seems that ASBOs are just 'tough on crime' without any consideration for the causes. Did anyone hear the debate about them on the Jeramy Vine show the other day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose64)
    It seems that ASBOs are just 'tough on crime' without any consideration for the causes. Did anyone hear the debate about them on the Jeramy Vine show the other day?
    consideration for the causes is exactly why Britain is in the crime problem it's in. rules exist for a reason, and people (well, most of them) aren't stupid. break the law and get an ASBO/go to jail - it could not be clearer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieuk20)
    consideration for the causes is exactly why Britain is in the crime problem it's in. rules exist for a reason, and people (well, most of them) aren't stupid. break the law and get an ASBO/go to jail - it could not be clearer.
    I couldn't disagree more. Perhaps the laws and punishments for breaking them are clear, but that doesn't change the current crime and recidivism rates. Tackling the causes actually attempts to identify and reduce the social reasons for people turning to crime, rather than just remedy the symptoms - ie. making 20,000 more prison places.

ReputationRep:
    That's what ASBO's are designed for; being "tough on crime" They weren't sold to the public as a solution to social ills that may cause crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    That's what ASBO's are designed for; being "tough on crime" They weren't sold to the public as a solution to social ills that may cause crime.
    Yes, and that's why I'm not in favour of them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and that's why I'm not in favour of them.
    So, you prefer to be "soft on crime" Sounds like a winner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    So, you prefer to be "soft on crime" Sounds like a winner.
    No, I'd rather consider and treat the causes of crime, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    the cause of crime is the criminal. remove them and the crime disappears. what a miracle.

ReputationRep:
    the cause of crime is the criminal. remove them and the crime disappears. what a miracle.
    Have you ever been served with an ASBO?

ReputationRep:
    What about the social influences on that often young and impressionable criminal?

ReputationRep:
    What about the social influences on that often young and impressionable criminal?
    what like?

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not an either/or solution is it? Surely you need both don't you?

ReputationRep:
    what like?
    Not having a teddy bear like the kid down the road. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Good Lord, you're a poet, and I didn't know it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Have you ever been served with an ASBO?
    no. have you?

ReputationRep:
    i love how some ignorant fools seem to think that just because some people lack the real-world experience (in this case being on the receiving end of an ASBO) that automatically denies them the right to express an opinion on crime. Crime is something which affects all of us - you needn't have been a victim of it to make your opinion any less valid.

ReputationRep:
    what like?
    Low standard of education, poor housing, bad/neglectful parenting, various other external influences on young criminals? Are you denying that these have anything to answer for?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.