The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Rose64
Low standard of education, poor housing, bad/neglectful parenting, various other external influences on young criminals? Are you denying that these have anything to answer for?

If Dave Pelzer (A Child Called It) can survive a tremendous amount of personal pain and horror from his childhood courtesy of his evil family yet still understand the basic difference between right and wrong then I fail to see how other children cannot.
Reply 21
Rose64
No, I'd rather consider and treat the causes of crime, thanks.

Sure, but that entails removing the attidudes that are ingrained in such classes of people - by tackling poverty, improving education etc etc. Such solutions cost many billions and take years.
Short-term solutions are needed to protect the rest of us, since it is not viable to concentrate only on the causes.
Reply 22
jamieuk20
If Dave Pelzer (A Child Called It) can survive a tremendous amount of personal pain and horror from his childhood courtesy of his evil family yet still understand the basic difference between right and wrong then I fail to see how other children cannot.

So Dave Pelzer is representative of the emotional state and level of reasoning of the entire young population of Britain? No, I don't think so.
Reply 23
Rose64
Low standard of education, poor housing, bad/neglectful parenting, various other external influences on young criminals? Are you denying that these have anything to answer for?

wow...bet about half the population or more could be included in 1 or more of them. lets have a rampage and blame everything on other people and the state failing us but forget our own judgement and decisions...
Reply 24
djchak
How do you feel about ASBO's?

Are they a good solution?

Are they flawed?

And do you think if instead of getting the ASBO...the offender was sent to a US "boot camp" would that solve the problem in a more efficient way?
ASBO's should be inducted into assassination squads and sent to Iraq, Iran and other places where surreptitious assassinations are required.
Reply 25
Rose64
So Dave Pelzer is representative of the emotional state and level of reasoning of the entire young population of Britain? No, I don't think so.

Your problem is you are so cynical. You wanted solutions and I am trying to provide you with them. I am merely saying that if Dave Pelzer is capable of such reasoning then it is not an impossibility to find it amongst similar youngsters, ok?
Reply 26
muncrun
Sure, but that entails removing the attidudes that are ingrained in such classes of people - by tackling poverty, improving education etc etc. Such solutions cost many billions and take years.
Short-term solutions are needed to protect the rest of us, since it is not viable to concentrate only on the causes.

I agree that short term solutions are needed, and ASBOs are an adequate answer, but I just feel that more initiatives and money should be put into those areas you mentioned. It does take a lot of time and money though, you're right, but isn't it worth it, especially in the long run?
Reply 27
Rose64
I agree that short term solutions are needed, and ASBOs are an adequate answer, but I just feel that more initiatives and money should be put into those areas you mentioned. It does take a lot of time and money though, you're right, but isn't it worth it, especially in the long run?

well, you could start with better parenting instead of plonking your 6 year old down in front of Big Brother and expecting them to grow up into a literate, mature adult.
Reply 28
jamieuk20
Your problem is you are so cynical. You wanted solutions and I am trying to provide you with them. I am merely saying that if Dave Pelzer is capable of such reasoning then it is not an impossibility to find it amongst similar youngsters, ok?

I don't think I'm cynical, I was just pointing out that Dave Pelzer's situation cannot be applied to all young victims of abuse.

It seems technik is the cynic here, and no, I wasn't suggesting we 'blame everything on other people' - isn't that what you're doing? I'm saying that some young and vulnerable children become criminals because of their situations.
Reply 29
jamieuk20
well, you could start with better parenting instead of plonking your 6 year old down in front of Big Brother and expecting them to grow up into a literate, mature adult.

I completely agree :smile:
Reply 30
Rose64
I completely agree :smile:

Then I would like to suggest that not all the solutions to crime require money. Better parenting costs nothing.
Reply 31
jamieuk20
Then I would like to suggest that not all the solutions to crime require money. Better parenting costs nothing.

That's true, but not all parents know how to communicate with their children or bring them up to be mature adults. They're not provided with enough support to do so, either.

EDIT: Would anyone like to expand on the 'simplistic. incorrect' comment they left with the neg rep? I'm guessing technik? :rolleyes:
Reply 32
Then why did they become parents in the first place? You already know the answer.
Reply 33
heh, i wouldn't worry about it ... someone edited for language by pig called Mad Caddies neg repped me earlier merely because he disagreed with my views and couldn't provide a cohesive argument to counter mine. how petty.
Reply 34
jamieuk20
Then why did they become parents in the first place? You already know the answer.

I don't know why?
Reply 35
jamieuk20
heh, i wouldn't worry about it ... some twat called Mad Caddies neg repped me earlier merely because he disagreed with my views and couldn't provide a cohesive argument to counter mine. how petty.

Lol, :rolleyes: <-- sums it up I think! Anyway, I have to go now, but this has been fun! No hard feelings?! :smile:
Reply 36
yeah definitely, see ya around
Reply 37
Rose64

So how are we to solve all these problems? And how much would it cost? Rather more I'd imagine than throwing up some new prisons.
Reply 38
Rose64
I don't think I'm cynical, I was just pointing out that Dave Pelzer's situation cannot be applied to all young victims of abuse.

It seems technik is the cynic here, and no, I wasn't suggesting we 'blame everything on other people' - isn't that what you're doing? I'm saying that some young and vulnerable children become criminals because of their situations.

cynical?

for blaming criminals for the crimes they commit? come on, use some sense. pussy foot about saying their poor education makes them that way if you want. you're just being patronising and condescending. theres plenty of poor kids about getting a poor education but they still know right from wrong like anyone else.
Reply 39
there does appear to be plenty of green land available that Prescott would only have used to build council estates on anyway...

Latest

Trending

Trending