This discussion is closed.
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Is there anyone here doing Chemistry at uni and if so where and how are you finding it?
I'm thinking of doing chem but according to most league tables the places which offer the best chemistry courses(Leed, Durham etc) are a bit too far away for me. Also is it a big step up from A-level? And one last thing, at the moment I'm also considering other related fields such as biochemistry and medicinal chemistry however I'm not doing biology A-level, will this put me at a disadvantage/ should I tak AS Bio next year?

Thanks
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm doing chemistry at University of East Anglia and i'm really enjoying it!!! I know the course isn't rated highly in the league tables, but then i'm not really good enough to get into a place that is, but so far i'm finding it ok - its quite a big step but as long as you are prepared to take a book out of the library every once in a while (or maybe even buy the book!) and do a bit of reading relative to the subject then its not so bad. Also the practicals are really good, and you get left to it (because you are supposed to be responsible!), however there are always demonstraters (staff and post grad students) around to help if you are a bit stuck.

As for the medicinal or biochem - i'm not sure about having to do biology - i think it depends on the uni. I have a friend doing biomedical sciences somewhere in Wales, and I know he didn't do biology A-level. But be warned that you might have to do a biology unit when you get there if you haven't got the A-Level - people who have come to UEA to do chem without maths and physics have to do a maths or physics (or both) unit, which is basically parts of A-Level maths/physics that they will need in chemistry over the next few years, and to get them upto speed with those who have done the A-levels.

Anyway if you need any more help or advice, PM me and i'll do my best to help!!!

Ps - I applied to do chemistry at Loughborough, Leeds, Birmingham and Reading as well as UEA, so if you are thinking about any of those places I may be able to offer my opinions or whatever. Hope I've helped!!
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Thanks for the info
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pegasus)
Thanks for the info
No probs :cool:
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
I know the course isn't rated highly in the league tables, but then i'm not really good enough to get into a place that is
If you want to use the league tables then you are attending a Uni ranked in the top 20 in the UK so your clearly doing something right!!!
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
If you want to use the league tables then you are attending a Uni ranked in the top 20 in the UK so you are clearly doing something right!!!
The uni may be top 20, but I meant the course is rated a long way below that when compared to other chemistry courses elsewhere.

But thanks for the support!!!
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
The uni may be top 20, but I meant the course is rated a long way below that when compared to other chemistry courses elsewhere.

But thanks for the support!!!
Like the course ranking matters!!! I really can't see employers looking through a list of courses to locate yours. Most don't even use the general tables so I can't see the course tables being used too much!!!
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
Like the course ranking matters!!! I really can't see employers looking through a list of courses to locate yours. Most don't even use the general tables so I can't see the course tables being used too much!!!
Hehe well I was just being pedantic!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (502)
51.12%
No (480)
48.88%

Watched Threads