Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Now ive heard that you cant turn down insurance offers if you make the conditional grades, and also that unis can still accept you if you get slightly lower. Would there ever be a situation where your insurance would make you a lower offer after you failed to get the conditional grades (without you asking), and if so could you turn it down. Its an odd question but there is some reason behind it...

ReputationRep:
    yes insurance uni can turn you down if you dont get the grades. so its best to have lower offer for insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fredricks)
    Now ive heard that you cant turn down insurance offers if you make the conditional grades, and also that unis can still accept you if you get slightly lower. Would there ever be a situation where your insurance would make you a lower offer after you failed to get the conditional grades (without you asking), and if so could you turn it down. Its an odd question but there is some reason behind it...
    You can turn down your insurance, but then you can't enter clearing for that year and you have to reapply in the next UCAS cycle. Unis can still accept you even if you don't quite meet the grades- but if you don't meet the grades you need to phone them up on results day and speak to the admissions tutor and they will tell you if they will accept you or not. I think that theoretically even if you didn't get the grades for your insurance shoice, then they see your grades and so could accept you without you phoning them up, although I would say it was unlikely but I'm not sure. However, I would say that it would be better for this to happen that to be released into clearing where you don't know what you're going to get, and at least the insurance place is somewhere that you've chosen. Also, it is best to choose somewhere with grades you are confident of getting-eg a fairly lowish offer.

If you are confused I suggest that you phone up UCAS and ask them, they will be able to give you the full picture.

Ruthie xx

ReputationRep:
    Some uni's you make as insurance may possibly accept you although you don't have the correct grades for both conditional and insurance. If the insurance turn you down, obviously you need to go through clearing or applying the following year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    I think that theoretically even if you didn't get the grades for your insurance shoice, then they see your grades and so could accept you without you phoning them up, although I would say it was unlikely but I'm not sure.
    Actually, Unis get your results a few days before results day, so it's quite likely they'll have made a decision by then. My friends who phoned up having missed their grades were told straight away whether or not they'd got in, cause whoever was in charge has already made up their mind.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You can talk to the uni very nicely and ask them to release you, but they don't have to and it won't be one of their priorities, so you may be eligable to enter Clearing after all the good places are gone.

So if you don't wanna go somewhere, don't pick it!

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, what is the percentage of chance of the uni releasing you to your insurance choice and/or clearing?

ReputationRep:
    Random semi-related question: If you made the grades for your firm choice, but wanted to go to your insurance, if you could get your firm choice to release you, would your insurance be under any obligation to take you?

ReputationRep:
    technically if you do not go to your Firm choice, you automatically go to your Insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Do you HAVE to go to your insurance if you make make their requirements and are turned down by your firm? As i might reconsider going university if i do not get into my firm, not completely sure yet though.

Sorry if this has been answered anywhere else, it's just i need to clarify this before making my choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you've applied for 2005 entry and you miss your firm (and they wont accept you with lower grades) but meet your insurance offer then you are obliged to either go to your insurance or drop out of UCAS and apply again for entry in 2006.

It's possible to pursuade your insurance uni to release you if you have a good reason for not wanting to go there anymore - if that's the case then you can enter clearing and try and find a place elsewhere. But it's a lot more time consuming than simply not having an insurance that you don't want to go to.

Noone can force you to go to university though - the only restrictions are on whether you can apply to more places (through clearing) in the SAME APPLICATIONS CYCLE.
    Thanks for clearing that up!

I only ask because i'm not sure about my insurance choice at the moment.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.