Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can anybody suggest any websites in how immobilized beads react with a substrate. i hav a few theories but i am not certain???? is it coz there hav pores which the substrate can enter but the enzyme can not get out??? also which one will produce the fastest rate of reaction.... immobilised or free enzyme... this help will be appreciated!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ugh immobilised enzymes... I tried to do this for my A level coursework and it went horribly wrong - hope you fare better!!

Basically the gel the enzymes are held in is a network of molecules that the substrate can get through but the enzyme can't. You should find that at optimum temperature the maximum rate of reaction is slightly slower with the immobilised enzymes, but that they are more heat stable - so you should continue to get a reaction with the immobilised enzymes even after the free enzymes have been denatured by the heat. The should be more pH stable too I think - it's to do with the gel helping to hold the enzyme in its correcxt conformation.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for replyin... the thing is i'm changing substrate concentrations.... should the free enzyme be quicker... can you also suggest any suitable websites Please.... thanks anyway for the helP...

ReputationRep:
    Yep, the free enzyme should be quicker for the same concentration of substrate because it takes time for the substrate to get through the gel to the immobilised enzymes. I can't think of any websites offhand but if you Google 'immobilised enzymes' or something similar you should be able to find something helpful

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.