Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are the benefits of a uni NOT being in the N.U.S?

ReputationRep:
    Money (NUS fees are thousands of pounds)? Being allowed to sell the stuff you want to not what you are told. Not being part of an organisation that, over the last few years, has spectacularly failed to protect or even stand up for the rights of an ever increasing student population in this country effectively.

Edit: I forgot to say corrupt organisation full of hacks and petty politicos.

ReputationRep:
    The Guild at exeter has been looking at whether or not it is financially beneficial to leave the NUS. They decided that it was better to stay affiliated even though it costs £35,000 per year to be affiliated. This is because they buy all of the stocks for the bars and guild shop from the NUS supply place. The front of Exepose (the university newsletter) has a report about it this week. Its online at www.exepose.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Salford have signed up some new shceme where you would have to pay £10 for the NUS card, the ideal being that the fees help pay the universities NUS fees, you will also get better discounts with the card though.

Personaly the NUS card is the only benefit far as I can see, as one club dosn't accept Salford ID cards (although must do).

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain what is NUS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Salford have signed up some new shceme where you would have to pay £10 for the NUS card, the ideal being that the fees help pay the universities NUS fees, you will also get better discounts with the card though.

Personaly the NUS card is the only benefit far as I can see, as one club dosn't accept Salford ID cards (although must do).
    Very few places in Exeter accept NUS as ID - its crap!

ReputationRep:

I don't feel any worse off than my friends at NUS universities. Most places that take student discountsw accept our uni id forms.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info. I remember what it stands for now (we talked about it in PSE one time).

ReputationRep:
    i'm pretty sure dundee isn't in the NUS (if they are it's very hush hush because i've never seen it mentioned anywhere) and i don't see it as a problem. I know at lancaster you have to pay £10 for your card to cover the affiliation costs (which is apparently about £70,000 for lancaster) and i know they're now thinking of leaving NUS

lou xxx

THe sooner Warwick disaffiliate (sp?) the better. The union is an independent body of the university which allegedy has the power to do what it wants......then why the hell do we listen to the university when they say we should remain members. We're already getting screwed on the prices of EVERYTHING so surely the extra cash would come in handy in bring down extortianate prices!!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Which universities are in the NUS?

ReputationRep:
    For some reaosn the NUS doesn't provide a simple list of its members. Instead I had to find this list of conference delegations for NUS conference

http://resource.nusonline.co.uk/medi...titlement2.doc

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.