Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    you cant just say that because physics underpins all that its 'the best'
    Each of the sciences are the best in their own way.
    WTH WHERE IS GEOLOGY/PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY?

ReputationRep:
    Physics, chem, bio, geo are the naturalsciences in my opinion. When i say geology i also mean physical geograpgy

In order of fundamentals
    Physics, chemistry, geology, biology

Beauty
    Geology, biology, physics,chem

mystery- how much we still dont know
    physics, biology, chemistry, geology

logic
    physics, chem/bio/geo

Importance in todays world
    bio, chem,geo,physics

solve world problems

ReputationRep:
    in order
    fundamentals
    physics,chem,geo,bio

logic
    physics,chem/bio/geo

beuty
    geo,bio,chem,physics

mystery
    physics,bio,geo,chem

awe- gobsmacking effect
    chem, geo, bio/physics

importance in todays world
    bio, geo, chem, physics

solving world problems
    bio, geo, chem,physics

destructive power- is this a good thing or a bad thing
    They can all be frighteningly destructive

My point is that we can all have our own opinions, but we wouldn't be here today if it weren't for all the sciences, which each contribute to our existance on earth. Even though some sciences underpin others, all sciences underpin humanity

--------------

btw my favorite is biology

ReputationRep:
    Biology.

And I'm on the right course

ReputationRep:
    where the poll go? :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heminder)
    where the poll go? :hmmmm:
    I ate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rpotter)
    I ate it
    damn...

ReputationRep:
    This post is a pointless debate. You can say all those crap about physics, biology or chemistry. But at the end, when you go to hospital, you need someone who knows human anatomy, and he's not gonna know every cells in it, but he needs to know enough to solve your stomach ache problem. Its not that biologist don't have the fundamental way of looking at nature, but its just the scale in which biologists operate at. They are looking at complex behaviour of things, how they react to the environment and the general patterns of their behaviour. This does not exactly require you to know how every atoms in the organism behave, you just need to be good at noticing things. And their work is useful, drugs and stuffs like that are made by bioligst or biochemist studying how these things behave.
    Physicists on the other hand, have their own field. Studying everything from electrons to the whole galaxy motion and connecting how such big and small are somehow linked together. And ultimately, all the biology can be explained by chemistry and all the chemistry can be explained by quantum mechanics. But that does not mean anyone of them are more superior in some sense. Its just like what Richard Feynman said, just because we knows the rules of checkers ( which is not that complicated) does not mean that we can master it when the game is actually played, it is not just one or two checkers that is important, it is the behavour of the whole board. That is how I see it

ReputationRep:
    I agree with him ^^^^

but i think physics is definately the most interesting to me. Also its the only subject that i want to do for the rest of my life

ReputationRep:
    i don't think you can argue that any science is more important than the other, obviously biological advancement is important, but were it not for physices and chemistry the equipment and medicine that allows precise research and treatment to be undertaken would not exist. PLUS all research and development requires funding, and physics/engineering is responisible for generating the majority of the worlds wealth, from the invention of the wheel and tools that allowed prehistoric man to carry out otherwise very hard/impossible tasks efficiently, to the computers and machinery that we use to design and make pretty much everything nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    Isnt it better to put this in a poll because it is easier to see the most popular science - i might do that.

Also for me it has to be , without a doubt Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NEED-A*)
    Isnt it better to put this in a poll because it is easier to see the most popular science - i might do that.

Also for me it has to be , without a doubt Chemistry.
    there was a poll before the site got upgraded...
    i don't know what happened to it...

ReputationRep:
    ok, the poll is back now...
    thanks PQ...

ReputationRep:
    awwww a new poll, but physics won the last one by a long long way

ReputationRep:
    Biology for me. Although I can see physics being interesting if you just concentrate on astronomy

ReputationRep:
    Physics won by a long long way
    That surprises me - I would have imagined that most people would have gone for the opposite end of the scientific spectrum (Biology). I like Physics the most though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    That surprises me - I would have imagined that most people would have gone for the opposite end of the scientific spectrum (Biology). I like Physics the most though!
    Yer it was rather suprising, I would have thought that too

ReputationRep:
    chemistry is the best, anyone here actually like learning about plant hormones?

And physics is based on theory rather than logic like maths.

So chemistry all the way..

Btw I do all sciences and maths so im not that biased..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mandoragon)
    chemistry is the best, anyone here actually like learning about plant hormones?

So chemistry all the way..

Btw I do all sciences and maths so im not that biased..
    I vote chemistry, I'm a 2nd year at durham stuydying chemistry, I am biased

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mandoragon)
    Apart from all that physics that is maths - but we won't talk about that.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 6, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.