Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry, as Chemistry takes into account elements both Physics and Biology. Excuse the pun.

God, I love using that pun.

ReputationRep:
    even after the second time the poll's been created, people still seem to prefer Physics...

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heminder)
    even after the second time the poll's been created, people still seem to prefer Physics...

I've found that physics enjoys a much more positive image than the other sciences. This fact is usually borne out in polls of this nature.

ReputationRep:
    aye physics and bio may be more popular than chemistry.. but let's not forget where all the money lies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liowood)
    aye physics and bio may be more popular than chemistry.. but let's not forget where all the money lies
    On average physics graduates have the 3rd highest salary by subject, behind only law and medicine. So we get the money too i am afraid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heminder)

True but that doesnt prove its a better subject, it just proves that it is a more popular one, and thats only because someone convinced all the mathmaticians that physics is the only science that invloves maths.

ReputationRep:
    Biology?

ReputationRep:
    pharmaceutical industry

but yeh biology, especially genetics is going to be the next big thing

ReputationRep:
    but yeh biology, especially genetics is going to be the next big thing
    'Going' to be the next big thing? It already is! Biotechnology is a multi-billion pound industry and growing at a phenomenal rate year on year.

ReputationRep:
    ^aye but i can see it getting bigger, once we know a tad more about what parts of the genome specifically do etc.

im not a biologist, dont flame me

ReputationRep:
    i dont know why i like physics. Maybe i just like to explore things?

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry Chemistry Chemistry Chemistry Chemistry Chemistry Chemistry As Its the best to look at visually. U can make fireworks and disgusting or pleasent smells whereas in biology its just smells like its rotting

ReputationRep:
    Physics by far. We wouldn't have a decent understanding of chemistry without physics (electron orbitals, molecular orbitals etc) and as biology - well the important bits, is just organic chemistry, it too is dependant on physics. Basically physics rocks

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry. Its just wicked. That is all.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone in such a pathetic situation as me, I love physics but always imagined myself as a chemist. I've done both physics and chemistry and love both, but find physics interesting too but cant imagine myself in a pure engineering field. Worst thing I am good at both chemistry and physics but my math level is low (for engineering). I am hoping to do chemistry at university, learn the math and then also start an engineering course. Probably believe that I will be working in a field where the two subjects overlap. Guys you know what some of you are pretty lucky to have one favourite field.

ReputationRep:
    bio seems the most interesting and sometimes the most boring
    and physics can be fascinating at times

ReputationRep:
    ^aye but i can see it getting bigger, once we know a tad more about what parts of the genome specifically do etc.

im not a biologist, dont flame me
    Far from it! We have only discovered the tip of the iceberg when it comes to our understanding in Biology. We have sequenced only a hand-full of genomes (~100 species, compared to the millions (billions?) or species that are known to exist. And sequencing doesn't really tell us that much. We then have to identify where these sequences actually code for - and again, our knowledge here is still very much in its infancy. Once we have identified and isolated the proteins that these code for, we have to determine their function. And then determine how all of these interact with each other in a myrid of biochemical pathways. That's not to mention non-coding DNA such as the so called 'junk DNA', for which we have absolutely no idea what its function is. Literally hundreds of sub-disciplines branch off from the study of genomes including comparitive and evolutionary genomics, proteomics, genetic engineering, medical genetics, and absolutely loads more which I can't think of right now because I am tired!! And genetics is only one area of biology you know!

In reality, our knowledge of even some of the most basic processes that occur in cells is actually very limited. When you learn the nuts and bolts at A-level, it may give you the impression that everything is worked out and very neat and tidy. But as you get in more depth at higher levels, you will realise how little we actually know. Biology is far from a 'finished' science, perhaps more so than the other sciences. It is this that, for me, makes it so fasinating.

EDIT - i've just had a quick search on the internet and found the following sub-disciplines of biology. As you can probably imagine from this list, biology is a huge science and our collective knowledge of all of it is, well, very modest to say the least.

Biochemistry
    Botany
    Cell Biology
    Cladistics
    Ecology
    Symbiology
    Genetics
    Population genetics
    Quantitative genetics
    Genomics
    Proteomics
    Histology
    Microbiology
    Bacteriology
    Virology
    Molecular Biology
    Neuroscience
    Pathology
    Oncology
    Phylogeny
    Physiology
    Systematics
    Zoology
    Ethology
    Ornithology
    Paleontology
    Biochemistry
    Biophysics
    Anthropology

ReputationRep:
    Physics because it's closest to Maths...

Who's read the latest edition of the New Scientist???? (this week's one).
    With the new particle accelerators, they think they can fire particles so fast that it twists time/space so much that it actually creates a new universe! Imagine this universe like a balloon, if you grab a bit of it, twist it around (with some air in it), and keep twisting it, you'll get to a point where the bit you're twisting snaps off. If none of the air can escape, you have two balloons, one big one (the original one) and one small one, the new mini universe. HOW COOL!

But theit primary aim is to find the higg boson particle, the thingy that's responsible for gravity .

C'mon! you can't beat creating a new universe! No other sciences will let you do that!

Note: currently a lil tipsy, sorry for any spelling mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)

Biochemistry
    Botany
    Cell Biology
    Cladistics
    Ecology
    Symbiology
    Genetics
    Population genetics
    Quantitative genetics
    Genomics
    Proteomics
    Histology
    Microbiology
    Bacteriology
    Virology
    Molecular Biology
    Neuroscience
    Pathology
    Oncology
    Phylogeny
    Physiology
    Systematics
    Zoology
    Ethology
    Ornithology
    Paleontology
    Biochemistry
    Biophysics
    Anthropology
    None of those can beat creating a new universe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRLX69)
    None of those can beat creating a new universe!
    When that happens then I might agree with you....but that is just very hypothetical at the moment! :p: Plus, what good would a universe be if there was no live there to appreciate it?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 6, 2010

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.